Author Topic: Need suggestions for lumber loads  (Read 1730 times)

sp org div

• Crew
  • Respect: +21
Need suggestions for lumber loads
« on: May 23, 2016, 06:21:28 PM »
So the new Wheels of Time flatcars are out. Can anyone recommend manufacturers that produce lumber loads for 50' flat cars?  RTR is preferred at this point.
I really like the Hay Bros loads, but still no return of lumber on their website. WOT says sold out on their release ( too much of a pre order gamble at over $10 ea undec)... Did anyone get any of these or were they nixed?
So I got a dozen of their bulk flats with no loads, and likewise with their latest release. I was figuring half for loaded lumber drags and the rest for Eugene empties, but now got a plethora of empties with no commodity to ship.  :(
Top dollar for your Hay Bros loads!

Jeff

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Need suggestions for lumber loads
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 06:55:38 PM »
+1
Are you looking for wrapped sheet goods? If so there's a poster on MRH who had scalable files for mostly Canadian firms that you could download and print. I ran a couple and the resolution was good.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1556
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 09:13:06 PM »
What era are the cars appropriate for?  I've always found lumber loads quite easy to whip up from strip wood.  Just use your scale ruler to get the lengths cut, glue them together, and use a black ink pen to make banding straps...

Trying in vein to find the pictures...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +478
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 11:46:32 AM »
I've used sheets of Midwest Plywood, like 3/16" if I remember correctly, ripped them to a scale 4' wide and glued them together to make units approximately 2' scale thick and cut them to appropriate lengths like 8', 10', 12', 14', 16', 18', and 20'.

I don't have pics but they are pretty convincing.

Or, if you don't want to roll your own, you could purchase these, made in the same fashion.
http://www.detailsnscale.com/n_lumber_loads.htm

After looking at the prices, you can easily see why I made my own.  ;)
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +87
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 04:45:47 PM »
Fine N Scale makes some. For my 1950's era I use the random length loads but they also make modern lumber as well. Don't think I can post a link here but a search for fine n scale loads will take you there.
Sacramento Valley NTrak

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +713
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 06:15:39 PM »
The late great Verne Niner sold me a lot of his N scale stuff when he went into On30.   In the box of stuff he sent me he included - and I kid you not - a quart-sized ziplock bag of Hayes Bros resin lumber loads, and a second sandwich-sized baggie similarly stuffed.    Verne's N layout, if you remember, was where they did all their promotional photography and all the shots on the Hays website are Verne's layout.  So Verne had a lot of resin loads.

These are all full flatcar-width that I can see - not centerbeam stuff.    Unpainted, although a couple were nicely done.   I already had quite a collection of lumber stacks I made out of stripwood, these are still nice but holy smokes, I can't ever see me using them up to this quantity.   I know I can't use the ones that are full-car length, just the little stacks, which is probably what nobody else wants.    I've got my cars already full, other than some stacks for my lumber mills and lumber yards I'm done here.

So PM me or email me here, we'll make a deal.   I just weighed them.  1 1/4 POUNDS.

Hey, I just went onto Ebay, and there's a lot of Hays loads there on their Ebay store if not their website.  Not cheap though....
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 07:10:40 PM by randgust »

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +166
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 07:25:40 PM »
So the new Wheels of Time flatcars are out. Can anyone recommend manufacturers that produce lumber loads for 50' flat cars?  RTR is preferred at this point.
I really like the Hay Bros loads, but still no return of lumber on their website. WOT says sold out on their release ( too much of a pre order gamble at over $10 ea undec)... Did anyone get any of these or were they nixed?

I got a few - I haven't had a close look at them yet but I think they'll be ok:

This photo isn't too bad a shot:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/805-999200
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +713
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 10:09:26 PM »
Agreed, but not in stock.... :? :oops:

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +166
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 10:59:01 PM »
Agreed, but not in stock.... :? :oops:

I was just answering Jeff's question about whether they were actually produced and specifically didn't say 'in-stock here'.....
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 01:38:10 AM »
"What era are the cars appropriate for?"

I can't speak for the other roads, but the GN car is Big Sky Blue, so would be suitable for 1967 through ???.  I know GN painted cars, not necessarily these, made it into the 90s in revenue service, and some of the chip cars ran into the early 2000s.  These cars were purchased in 1954, according to one source, so would probably have been Mineral Red, and might also have been repainted Vermilion Red.
N Kalanaga
Be well

sp org div

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 03:30:02 AM »
PM sent Randy

Thanks guys,

Ive built a number of different style lumber loads over the years (see my photobucket), but just want to get more loaded lumber cars in service for now.  Lately I find myself pushing more on layout construction, but looking forward to real modeling again sometime soon.

Regards all

sp org div

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 10:20:08 AM »
"What era are the cars appropriate for?"

These flats were originally announced in SP paint only... so not sure if the foob line is getting crossed, but their website shows the blue GN flat built in 54, with a re-weigh dated 5/70.  BN merger was a couple months prior, but maybe that is irrelevant. 
Bryan?

Jeff

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 01:37:19 AM »
The reweigh date could easily be after the merger.  It would probably have been reweighed when it was repainted, but a car can be reweighed any time a shipper questions the weight.

WOT also says that two of the GN cars were still in service in early 99, so that gives a possible cutoff date for them.

Randgust:  If sp_org_div doesn't want all of them, I'd be interested in a few.  I just priced scale lumber to make my own.  A good load of 2x8s will cost about $80 - plus shipping.
N Kalanaga
Be well

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +474
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 02:32:06 AM »
As has previously been posted, Fine N Scale Products sells three different N-scale dimensional lumber loads, which look pretty nice from the accompanying photos at an MSRP of $5.95/$5.25 ea.  Go here:  http://www.finenscale.com/loads.html

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +865
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 03:10:33 AM »
The lumber loads produced by Dave Mackinnon (Details N Scale) are the best I have seen and I have purchased quite a few for my bulkhead flatcars.  They are not cheap as they are assembled by hand, but in my opinion the appearance is unrivalled.  I have a Hay Bros lumber load and they are not bad.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca