Author Topic: PRR Baldwin BP20 Passenger Shark  (Read 1499 times)

Francis Treves

• Respect: +7
PRR Baldwin BP20 Passenger Shark
« on: April 07, 2016, 09:19:06 PM »
+5
I wanted to extend the conversation on kitbashing the Delux Innovations PRR Freight Shark shells into a Passenger Shark that was posted last May. Here are some shots of my build that I completed  last month after purchasing 4 shells about 10yrs ago. It is prototypical in length based on dimensions provided in the 2015 post. The mechanism was a stretched drive DL-109 and the B is a dummy unit also modeled to prototype. Any thoughts and questions?

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +154
Re: PRR Baldwin BP20 Passenger Shark
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 11:05:50 PM »
Yes - you did a really nice job! 

I don't see evidence of shell splicing, and that's not easy to hide.

George
George

NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +1226
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 11:14:25 PM »
Looks great!  Any in progress pics?

Why Brunswick green, is that the color of your road number?  Any proto photos?

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2316
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 10:36:34 AM »
Thought: that's hot.

gelboy45

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 05:33:03 PM »
Those are so nice. I love quirky Baldwins!

Gerry (Baldwin)......

TVRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 06:13:01 PM »
A sincerely nice effort there sir. My only question is will you do  another?

Francis Treves

• Respect: +7
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 09:44:36 PM »
+2
1)A unit was three shells, first joint at vertical rivet seam behind second belly tank, third 9ft in from rear, full length 80ft over pulling faces
2)B Unit was joined from four shells, first joint at middle, second and third joints about 9ft from ends because I needed end of cab doorways to be the same.
3)A Mechanism was a stretched Life- Like DL109 with lengthening of drive axil to flywheel and milling to accommodate cab and shell along with space for front headlight.
4)B was a dummy DL-109 used for prototypical wheel sets. Atlas belly tanks were purchased from e-bay parts and extensively modified to match prototype.
5) All cast details on the Delux Innovation shell were for the freight version and had to be removed in their entirety. Shell was filled and sanded and styrene was added to build up roof hatches, exhaust outlets etc. End doors were drilled out and sized correctly and steps into cab were filled and re-spaced.
6) Photo etched parts added were JnJ trains (Baldwin steps, windshield wipers,safety chains) Gold Medal Model- venetian blinds for all side intake vents with styrene frames and for PRR stanchions for the roof antenna. Plano industries grills and GMM GP 7 detail up kit grills were combined to make the roof exhausts, BLMA was used for lift rings and horn. All the grabs, antenna, and cut levers were custom wire work bent to suite the prototype.
7) Clear styrene was used to infill cab front hood windows and door lights and side windows were Microset Kristal Clear, the hedlight was custom made to fit a custom made styrene bezel for the front light, care was made to shield light source from the rest of the interior. American Limited Diaphrams, microtrain cuplers, nicroscale decals and custom polly Brunswick green were used to finish the model.
8) Sources were http://pennsyrr.com/kc/motiveops/bg_bp20/exterior_a.jpeg.Model Railroader cyclopedia Vol 2 for Diesels, and John Han Jr,s PRR Diesel Pictorial Vol.4 Baldwin Cab and Transfer Units. However I found the best sources for free which were to download  images from Oriental Limited Brass HO Models on such sites as Brass Model Trains .com.
9) I do not think it would be possible for me to attempt to assemble all the above material to make a second set of models, it is truly one of a kind until Broadway Limited cashes in on their success of their Centipede and does sets of the BP20 for us PRR fans.
10) I have attached some additional views to accompany the response.

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +416
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 10:04:31 PM »
And I'm spent.

The BP-20 is definitely one of the glaring holes in my roster. I'd love to have at least one ABA set, but I doubt that we'll ever see it RTR. Thanks for an awesome effort and product!
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +636
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 11:46:40 PM »
Welcome to Railwire.  Way to start with a bang!*   8)

* I have no special affinity to this prototype, but I recognize and appreciate quality modeling.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +711
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 09:16:01 AM »
Here's the article for those of us that don't bleed Tuscan red...or DGLE

http://pennsyrr.com/index.php/data/93-operations/motive-power/162-passenger-shark-article

Wow.  Great modeling.

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 02:46:41 PM »
There was an established vendor at Timonium who is liquidating Father Nature stuff.   He had some really good prices on things.  I picked up, among other things, three B units and two A units of Dr. Krieder's  resin castings of these things.   There was a bag of three Bs and an A for a dollar.  Generally, they were asking a dollar a shell.   I did pay one dollar for the second A.

The Father Nature shells are seventy five feet long at the pulling faces; five feet too short.  This means that it will fit the LL DL-109 chassis unaltered (I have not test fit the C-C power chassis).   I did do a test fit on the LL.  It looked pretty good.   As a comparison, it looked about as good as the V-line freight shark shells looked on FA-2 chassis; not quite there, but close enough.

I do not know if it is the casting, the resin, the method or what, but when you try to clean up the castings, they are rather brittle. (I was working on trying to clean up a drover caboose that is also a Father Nature casting).   It is far too easy to take off too much.  Part of this is the quality of the casting, but, I suspect, not all of it.  His castings did have a deserved reputation for being crude.  I am hoping that by the time I am finished with one or two drover cabooses, I will have gotten the idea, so that doing one of these will go easier.

I did get two drover cabooses that are made from a MT wood caboose and a MDC thirty four foot combine as well as three that were made from similar cobbled together all for a dollar.  It looks like those last three will fit a forty foot freight car chassis (I will need to add steps).

In addition, I got a center cab that looks like it was cast from two TRIX FM yard goats butted together.   In addition, I got what looks like a master that is two LL BL-2 shells with the short hood chopped off and butted end-to-end.  They were a dollar a piece.  The BL-2 thing was rather well done; it is hard to see the seams.   Now to find power chassis for them.  It looks like I will need either an longer A-1-A or C-C road switcher chassis.  The SD-7/SD-9 as well as the RSD-4 or RSC-2 chassis are far too short.  I would prefer not to use a cab diesel chassis for the double BL-2 or "FM center cab".   I am aware of the thing that GM built for IC in the 1930s that looks like a primitive BL-2 with span bolster connected B-B-B-B arrangement.

On the other hand, a cab diesel power chassis will be best for the BP-20.  Fortunately, the DL-109 is close enough.

Spikre

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 03:11:21 PM »
 :)
   recall that there only 9 B units built.
   5 were rebuilt for Freight serice{about 1956}.
   4 were sent to the NY&LB after 1957.
    this is likely why they were never seen personally,as the
   weekend trains were generally shorter than the weekday
   trains were.
   missed adding this insight to the other Shark thread.
   and if You model the weekend B units aren't needed.
    Nice Kit Bashes !!
      Spikre
        ;)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 03:13:37 PM by Spikre »