Author Topic: Weekend Update 4/24/16  (Read 8508 times)

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +641
Re: Weekend Update 4/24/16
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2016, 12:00:16 AM »
Thanks Otto. They are 'accent'walls. They weren't my decision. I only built every wall, ran all electric, hung all 60 sheets of sheetrock including the ceiling, mud, sanding, trimmed it all out and applied said paint. I didn't have a choice the the 'poppy seed' colored walls! Lol that was the wife's work. I'm the foreman in the railroad but at home, I am not the foreman!
The bigger area that's poppy seed in the room on the right is where the 70 or so inch 4k tv will reside in the family room. The layout room is mine to the left. There's also a 14x10 bedroom down the hall as well as a full bath. The black for to the right is to a 12x10 storage and utility room.
Also the next layout section that will come into the curve was where I was going to start the elevation change. By your eye Otto, should I start it on this module section?

Adam Draskovich
Draskos Modelworks. Contact me for your 3D modeling needs!
SFM (Super Fleet Modeler) member #1
I HAVE 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2s!!

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2016, 12:01:18 AM »
Adam's done a great job with his space! Very impressive. I just wouldn't want to be the one chasing a coupler spring in the carpet. :D :facepalm:

draskouasshat

• Crew
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2016, 12:12:05 AM »
Adam's done a great job with his space! Very impressive. I just wThankouldn't want to be the one chasing a coupler spring in the carpet. :D :facepalm:
Very true. I guess I'll just keep a stock pile of every part. I lose enough pieces on the dark flooring in the kitchen, let alone carpet!.
I plane on incorporating a nice finished desk into the layout as for the most part it will be around the walls minus the giant peninsula that still showcase summit as a centerpiece as you walk into the layout room. 
It will have plenty of storage and working room along with a glass top.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2016, 10:40:09 AM »
+1
Also the next layout section that will come into the curve was where I was going to start the elevation change. By your eye Otto, should I start it on this module section?

Adam Draskovich

Adam, both tracks started dropping at the top cut, and the original 3% line just dropped faster, so that at the bottom end of the curve there was substantial elevation difference. Attaching some pics. Have fun!
Otto K.

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2016, 11:31:41 AM »
I was wondering about the choice of carpet for a layout room. Now I understand. At least it will cushion the fall from any derailments. Spent many hours in my younger days in Cajon Pass. Was disappointed when I moved to northern Calif that there just wasn't many trains running when compared to Cajon (lol now in hindsight).
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

draskouasshat

• Crew
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2016, 12:14:03 PM »
Adam, both tracks started dropping at the top cut, and the original 3% line just dropped faster, so that at the bottom end of the curve there was substantial elevation difference. Attaching some pics. Have fun!
Otto K.
Thanks Otto. Looks like I'll cut the roadbed on this section between the mains and drop the westward track slightly. I hired I better start a thread so I can start getting schooled since I've never scene Cajon in person lol. Otto, I might need your number on speed dial also!

jmarley76

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
    • WNCRails
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2016, 12:30:15 PM »
@hegstad1 @peteski @C855B @narrowminded

Thanks for the feedback!  8)

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2412
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2016, 04:25:45 PM »
Move over Ted York
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2016, 06:13:48 PM »
I decided to try to hide the ugly black hole in the wall at Lugo (entrance to Barstow staging). There's no trees, tunnels, or overpasses on the prototype to hide the hole, so I went with this:
Otto K.

Well Done Otto. Paul Dolkos used a similar method to hid where the track passed through a backdrop into his staging yard.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2016, 02:06:15 AM »
Well Done Otto. Paul Dolkos used a similar method to hid where the track passed through a backdrop into his staging yard.

Thanks Rich, glad you like it. I don't claim this to be my invention, a number of guys have done this, and it's such a simple solution. All one needs to do is a little scenery through the visible part of the hole and balance the lighting levels outside and inside. I used a three-LED strip cut off a LED "string" to backlight the hole and fed it right off the hidden trackage (no signal detection there). It's DCC at 12.5 V but I figured I'm okay; no extra wiring necessary. I like to keep it simple (KISS method) :D
Otto K.

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +597
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2016, 04:47:41 PM »
Had some time to "do work" on this HOn30

Before

After

Short shaky video of it running on my N scale layout
/>

I'll probably end up getting a Skarloey, to turn into it's prototype cousin TR No.1 Talyllyn, but I'm really hoping that Bachmann decides to make a Rheneas as well, since the prototype is TR No.2 Dolgoch. Then all I'll need is a 4mm scale figure of myself and I'll be set.
I've no experience with Talyllyn, but Dolgoch is an absolute pleasure to drive.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.