Author Topic: Harriman Roofs for MT Coaches - Any Interest?  (Read 2317 times)

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Partying like it's still 1944
  • Respect: +217
Harriman Roofs for MT Coaches - Any Interest?
« on: March 03, 2016, 12:49:55 PM »
+1
Yesterday at my friend Konrad's I was hunting through some more original Camden & Amboy Models leftover inventory that we had discovered, and we came across some Harriman roof castings. In the box there were two sizes, one was slightly longer than the rest and is labeled as being for Rivarrosi coaches, but the other seven are slightly shorter and a quick test proved our suspicions that they are for Lima coaches. There was also a secondary master for the two lengths of roofs.

Then my curiosity light came on.
I was curious to see if perhaps one of the two roofs would be able to fit the Micro-Trains heavyweight paired-window coaches, and as it turns out, the roofs that were originally intended for Lima cars are also the correct length to fit the Micro Trains heavyweight coaches.

And best of all, we have the secondary master for those roofs. (And also a master for the Rivarossi-length roof)
All it needs is some modification on the underside to be able to clear the two internal bulkheads that are present at either end of the inside of the MT coaches.

So now for the big question...
Is there any interest in having a drop-on Harriman-roof conversion for the Micro-Trains coaches?

If there is enough interest, we'll make the modifications to the master and do a run of new castings.

And even if there isn't, we also are offering to sell the seven original castings to anyone who desires them, with the option of having the internal clearance modifications done by us for a small additional charge.

Also, here is a photo of the two roofs beside the roof from a Micro-Trains heavyweight Diner (the only MT heavyweight car I have on-hand on my workbench at home). The shortest roof, at bottom, is the one originally made to fit Lima coaches, but will also fit the Micro-Trains heavyweight coach.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 02:44:07 AM by GaryHinshaw »
Cody W Fisher - Modeler of the PRR, PRSL, GWR, SZD, and DRG

WWII Clerk/Administration Historian

Switchboard Technician - 33rd Signal Construction Battalion (reenacted)

Squadron Clerk - Capital Wing, Airmans Preservation Society

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
Re: Harriman Roofs for MT Coaches - Any Interest?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 03:13:51 PM »

Hmm... steps closer to being able to do a model of one of these coaches... all that would be needed then would be sections of a mail car's letterboard to go over the windows...

Upstate Gator

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 03:42:55 PM »
Yes, I would be interested.

I would think SP, RI, ACL, UP, IC modelers would all be interested.

Any chance of making a roof to fit the MT Baggage or RPO cars?
Ben

VonRyan

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 04:13:46 PM »
+1
Yes, I would be interested.

I would think SP, RI, ACL, UP, IC modelers would all be interested.

Any chance of making a roof to fit the MT Baggage or RPO cars?
Ben

With four of the existing castings and a bit of cut-and-shut work we could probably come up with roofs for both of those cars. But that would also all depend on how many people are interested.

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Respect: +73
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 04:37:37 PM »
if there is aa PRR application
I would be interested
but obviously need to research
in order to know if that application
exists

sincerely
Gary
"...that each may live for all,
and all may care for each..."

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +270
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 05:23:09 PM »
More parts are always welcome. I would be interested, but unfortunately for this project, I picked up quite a few round roof castings several years ago, including a number of the ones identified above as Harriman.  However, I don't know what distinguishes a "Harriman" roof from any other round roof.  Is there a specific height or curvature that separates a Harriman roof from various other round roofs used on cars that are not identified with Harriman designs or roads? 
Tom D.

"The difference between the difficult and the impossible is that doing the impossible is usually more fun." (my college design professor Russell Whaley)

VonRyan

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 05:26:28 PM »
+1
More parts are always welcome. I would be interested, but unfortunately for this project, I picked up quite a few round roof castings several years ago, including a number of the ones identified above as Harriman.  However, I don't know what distinguishes a "Harriman" roof from any other round roof.  Is there a specific height or curvature that separates a Harriman roof from various other round roofs used on cars that are not identified with Harriman designs or roads?

I could be wrong, but I always thought that a Harriman-roof was a one-of-a-kind thing due to all those fancy boxy vents.

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 06:52:15 PM »
I could be wrong, but I always thought that a Harriman-roof was a one-of-a-kind thing due to all those fancy boxy vents.

Hardly one of a kind given all the car types that were made to that design, including some business cars.  More like a "trademark" as far as details go.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +544
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 07:42:45 PM »
How about a southern railroad space style roof ...

VonRyan

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 09:53:56 PM »
+1
How about a southern railroad space style roof ...

If detailed technical drawings and clear photographs can be provided, it can be added to the project queue.

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +174
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 12:17:26 AM »
I'd be interested, especially if it fit the MT diner as well. I could definitely use roofs for some longer coaches.

Peter
Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 09:26:39 AM »
Yesterday at my friend Konrad's I was hunting through some more original Camden & Amboy Models leftover inventory that we had discovered, and we came across some Harriman roof castings. In the box there were two sizes, one was slightly longer than the rest and is labeled as being for Rivarrosi coaches, but the other seven are slightly shorter and a quick test proved our suspicions that they are for Lima coaches. There was also a secondary master for the two lengths of roofs.

Then my curiosity light came on.
I was curious to see if perhaps one of the two roofs would be able to fit the Micro-Trains heavyweight paired-window coaches, and as it turns out, the roofs that were originally intended for Lima cars are also the correct length to fit the Micro Trains heavyweight coaches.

And best of all, we have the secondary master for those roofs. (And also a master for the Rivarossi-length roof)
All it needs is some modification on the underside to be able to clear the two internal bulkheads that are present at either end of the inside of the MT coaches.

So now for the big question...
Is there any interest in having a drop-on Harriman-roof conversion for the Micro-Trains coaches?

If there is enough interest, we'll make the modifications to the master and do a run of new castings.

And even if there isn't, we also are offering to sell the seven original castings to anyone who desires them, with the option of having the internal clearance modifications done by us for a small additional charge.

Also, here is a photo of the two roofs beside the roof from a Micro-Trains heavyweight Diner (the only MT heavyweight car I have on-hand on my workbench at home). The shortest roof, at bottom, is the one originally made to fit Lima coaches, but will also fit the Micro-Trains heavyweight coach.

(Attachment Link)

I still have a couple that you gave me the first time you found them. Not sure which version they are, though. I also have the air-conditioned car roofs for the Rivarossi cars that you have me.
- Christian J. Davis

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +421
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 09:54:20 AM »
It would be difficult for me to make a decision before I see how these roofs 'fit' on the actual car bodies...
Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
NTRAK Board of Directors
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

[/ur

VonRyan

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 10:07:21 AM »
+1
It would be difficult for me to make a decision before I see how these roofs 'fit' on the actual car bodies...
Bruce

That is in the works. I'll have test-fit photos next week, Wednesday to be precise.
I don't own an MT coach, but Konrad does, so I'll be going there to perform the test-fit.

I still have a couple that you gave me the first time you found them. Not sure which version they are, though. I also have the air-conditioned car roofs for the Rivarossi cars that you have me.

Check the underside when you get back to your lair. Kon might have written something on them.

rcbond4449

• Respect: 0
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 10:41:08 AM »
I am ready  to buy!!! I'm working on about 25 different SP Oval roof cars, some with MT, Rivarossi, Atlas and expecting a bunch of car side from Roberto in Italy.
How soon can I get these????

Robert Bond
San Antonio, TX