Author Topic: Model Railroad Planning 2016  (Read 685 times)

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +216
Model Railroad Planning 2016
« on: January 11, 2016, 11:22:41 PM »
The issue is out, and our own  Mark Dance outdoes the Bridges of Madison County with his long article on planning and building the 7 big bridge scenes on his Columbia & Western. Mark, read the article 3 times now. Fantastic. Your layout more than holds its own against any other in any other scale. Detailed planning and skillful execution.  Makes me wish Vancouver was closer.

Well played, sir.  :tommann: :ashat:
Peter Pfotenhauer

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2319
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Model Railroad Planning 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 11:23:59 PM »
Excellent! I keep looking for it, I've got them going back to the 90s, and it's one of my favorite publications all year.

Also, of course Mark's article is tops!

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +636
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 12:11:13 AM »
The bridges are spectacular, at least for someone who claims not to be a modeller.  ;)

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +216
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 04:42:04 AM »
The bridges are spectacular, at least for someone who claims not to be a modeller.  ;)

What is he then? Magician?
Peter Pfotenhauer

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +636
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 04:52:45 AM »
:D

An operator.  To him a model railroad is a big (and in the C&W's case, beautiful) machine that humans interact with.  How it looks is secondary to how it works.  But I should let him describe it.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +237
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 07:05:08 AM »
:D

An operator.  To him a model railroad is a big (and in the C&W's case, beautiful) machine that humans interact with.  How it looks is secondary to how it works.  But I should let him describe it.

Interesting; it's funny that two of the n scale model railways I admire for their outstanding scenery (among many, many other reasons) have been built by guys who claim to put the railway scenery down as a secondary interest when compared to op's... Mark and his stunning C&W and Grant Eastman who has built the breathtaking SAR pike in Calgary, AB. Guess that goes to show that beauty and functionality need not be mutually exclusive.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!