Author Topic: Substitutions for Discontinued Floquil Colors  (Read 2209 times)

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Substitutions for Discontinued Floquil Colors
« on: January 11, 2016, 06:11:15 PM »
I found the following chart of color matches for discontinued Floquil paints on the Microscale website:

https://www.microscale.com/Floquil%20Color%20Chart.pdf

Say you need to match Floquil Southern Pacific Scarlet Red. The chart suggests Model Masters Ford Engine Red as a very close match.

I know I found some equivalents that I thought I'd forever have to do without.

Hmm... Kiz, do I have
to do without supper
tonight...?

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Substitutions for Discontinued Floquil Colors
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 06:47:25 PM »
That chart came out soon after polyscale disappeared.  I would love to read anyone's feed back if they've tried any of the suggestions.  I know I'm going to need box car and oxide red in the future.

Jason

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 06:55:52 PM »
TruColor and Scalecoat II both have a wide range of model RR colors in organic-solvent-based paints.  I highly recommend either of those brands instead of trying substitutions.

If you prefer water-based acrylics then Micro-Mark has a line of Valejo colors supposedly blended to match the Floquil colors.
. . . 42 . . .

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 07:14:43 PM »
TruColor and Scalecoat II both have a wide range of model RR colors in organic-solvent-based paints.  I highly recommend either of those brands instead of trying substitutions.

When I finally get my airbrush(es) later this year, I'm making Scalecoat II paint my go-to colors. However, there are a few gaps in the Scalecoat line. One I can think of is Scalecoat Reefer White. As of about 15 years ago when I last tried it, it turned yellow with age. Got a bunch of 57' reefers that need repainting (in due time).

As for True Color paints, I can't stand the smell of acetone. Rules that out completely for me.

Hmm... got anything that
smells like alcohol...?

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 07:29:27 PM »
If you prefer water-based acrylics then Micro-Mark has a line of Valejo colors supposedly blended to match the Floquil colors.

Forgot about those, thanks.  I see Box Car Red is one of the colors, I'll have to try it out.

Jason

jnevis

• Crew
  • WP Lives
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 08:46:40 PM »
Forgot about those, thanks.  I see Box Car Red is one of the colors, I'll have to try it out.

Jason

I like the Vallejo paints I've used.  I haven't tried to match RR colors with them yet but use them on WW2 minis for a couple games.  Recommend using Windex to thin them for airbrushing (50:50-ish, works pretty well).
Can't model worth a darn, but can research like an SOB.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 01:58:59 AM »
My biggest gap in Scalecoat is Big Sky Blue.  On the other hand, Floquil's wasn't all that accurate, nor was Polly-Scales, AND they didn't match each other.  For mod 70s freight cars it doesn't matter much, as the color changed with age, and every car seems to be different. 

The MS suggestion for BSB was Model Master "French Blue".  I tried it, and Tamiya "French Blue", they're not the same, and neither is close to the GNRHS color chip.  Oh well.

I've asked the new owners of Scalecoat to add Big Sky Blue if they add any new colors.  That will have to wait until they figure out how to package spray cans with the yellows, oranges, and greens that are giving them trouble.  Something in certain pigments reacts with the propellant and causes the cans to literally explode.  Apparently the suppler changed the pigments a few years back, and won't say what the change was, as pigments are proprietary.

N Kalanaga
Be well

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 11:46:04 AM »
Gents, not sure if you noticed this, but it may help find some colors from other manufacturers that can get you real close.

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=37774.0

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 02:37:45 PM »
Testors took the popular colors and also added them to their Model Master Acrylic line:

http://www.testors.com/~/media/DigitalEncyclopedia/Documents/Testors/ColorCharts/RM280036_0914_ModelMasters_AcrylicPaints.ashx

Engine Black
Grimy Black
Reeder Grey
Railroad Tie Brown
Roof Brown
Signal Green
Oxide Red
Boxcar Red
Caboose Red
Reefer Yellow
Depot Buff
Earth