Author Topic: Best Of Spokane, Portland and Seattle (SP&S) 0-6-0 Project  (Read 77263 times)

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +641
Re: Spokane, Portland and Seattle (SP&S) 0-6-0 Project
« Reply #390 on: January 15, 2018, 01:06:03 AM »
Fine job max! you do realize you're no longer allowed to put paint on this correct?

Drasko
Draskos Modelworks. Contact me for your 3D modeling needs!
SFM (Super Fleet Modeler) member #1
I HAVE 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2s!!

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #391 on: January 15, 2018, 01:37:17 AM »
+1
For the styrene I-beam:  Is there a reason for milling it from square stock instead of making it from 3 strips?

I actually considered that at first, but I decided it would actually be harder for me to glue three tiny strips lengthwise into an "H"
than it would be to just cut a groove out of some square stock.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #392 on: January 15, 2018, 02:31:31 AM »
For the styrene I-beam:  Is there a reason for milling it from square stock instead of making it from 3 strips?

As I see it, can you imagine trying to uniformly glue a length of such small pieces of styrene strip?
If the original was 0.040" square then the the I-beam (the dimensions actually seem more like an H-beam) would have to consist of two  0.040" by roughly 0.010" strip on the outside, and probably 0.010"  x 0.020" strip in the middle. I think it would be really tough to cleanly glue them together, keep things square, and also get a strong glue joint (without the glue melting everything).
. . . 42 . . .

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #393 on: January 15, 2018, 10:59:44 AM »
As I see it, can you imagine trying to uniformly glue a length of such small pieces of styrene strip?
If the original was 0.040" square then the the I-beam (the dimensions actually seem more like an H-beam) would have to consist of two  0.040" by roughly 0.010" strip on the outside, and probably 0.010"  x 0.020" strip in the middle. I think it would be really tough to cleanly glue them together, keep things square, and also get a strong glue joint (without the glue melting everything).

EXACTLY.   I fiddled with it for a bit, and figured I could never keep them straight enough.  I suppose using some brass
strips, I could have made up a jig to keep everything straight while I put the strips together, but then I spied that little
1/64" cutter for my mill and figured I could do it by just cutting a slot.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #394 on: January 15, 2018, 08:14:55 PM »
I feel a bit stupid to keep saying I'm speechless, but well, I am speechless. This is beyond words, at least ones I'm capable of coming up with. The thing is so incredibly tiny, and the detail is so incredibly well done... Max, you're amazing...
Otto

bdennis

• Crew
  • Respect: +172
    • Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division
« Reply #395 on: January 15, 2018, 08:25:30 PM »
Nice.. Very very nice..
Top job.!
Brendan Dennis
N scale - Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #396 on: January 15, 2018, 08:41:57 PM »
I feel a bit stupid to keep saying I'm speechless, but well, I am speechless. This is beyond words, at least ones I'm capable of coming up with. The thing is so incredibly tiny, and the detail is so incredibly well done... Max, you're amazing...
Otto

LOL!  You are not a bit stupid.  You are kind, and encouraging.  And believe me, I don't think I could have kept this up for 3 years if I didn't have such a nice group to share my progress with.  It has really inspired me to push very hard and do my best on this.

Thank you... THANK YOU.  (which never seems enough... now it's me who feels a bit stupid!)

dnhouston

• Crew
  • Respect: +651
    • Dusty Junction & Northwestern
« Reply #397 on: January 15, 2018, 11:53:48 PM »
Max, a single upvote for your post just does not do it justice.  I wish I could upvote each and every picture that you have included.  The detail is simply amazing.  Great job!

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #398 on: January 16, 2018, 01:34:43 AM »
Max:  Considering what you've done with your tools, milling it probably would be easier!

Peteski:  That's exactly how I would have done it.  I've never built an I or H beam that size, but have made channels smaller than that, for use as stake pockets.  Yes, it's a pain, but my tool supply is limited.
N Kalanaga
Be well

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #399 on: January 16, 2018, 08:58:08 PM »
"Mad" Max.

There simply are no words...   :o

Mark (also) in Oregon

svedblen

• Crew
  • Respect: +349
    • Three Yards Yard - beware - it is H0 - No, now it's O
« Reply #400 on: January 17, 2018, 04:58:27 PM »
This is so beautiful!
Lennart

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #401 on: January 17, 2018, 07:02:41 PM »
Meh, it's okay, if you like that sort of thing...

:D

Seriously, it's beautiful; I want it.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3123
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #402 on: January 18, 2018, 06:22:25 AM »
I propose a faux eBay-type auction to find out what those who truly admire your work feel it is actually worth.

I'll start the bidding at $10,000.00 (pre-paint).  No joke, I'd pay that if I could.

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #403 on: February 09, 2018, 09:28:41 AM »
I am very very happy to announce that Max will be bringing his astounding SP&S switcher to the 2018 RMMBC meet at Simon Fraser University in May!  This is likely to be its first public display and it will feature in a clinic as well as being displayed in the model room. 

In addition, TRW's own Gary Hinshaw has kindly stepped up to making a test track suitable for this beautiful subject so the loco will be exhibited running.

Thank you Max and thank you Gary!

To review the clinics we are offering, please see this link.  http://railwaymodellersmeetofbc.ca/node/668 You will see a few familiar names! :)

In addition to the clinics there are layout tours, op sessions and a plenary presentation by Bernie Kempinski on new modelling tools and techniques.

If you are in the Pacific Northwest, or anywhere for that matter, please make the trip to see us.  Bring your friends.  The Canadian $, the inexpensive accommodations, and Vancouver in the Spring, are all well suited for a nice long weekend trip.  But don't wait too long...enrollment is on a record pace and op session slots and some of the accommodation choices will likely be gone very soon.

md (RMMBC committee)

Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7957
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #404 on: February 09, 2018, 03:41:25 PM »
+2
I hope there's an armed guard posted next to it.