Author Topic: Locomotive production - where does the industry go from here?  (Read 8655 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

H Lee

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 149
  • Respect: +2
Re: Locomotive production - where does the industry go from here?
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2015, 05:33:04 PM »
0
Or they want something that already exists from another mfr. How many times have we seen people screaming for an SD40-2 when the ones from Kato look great and run great? :facepalm: :?

If you actually read the posts most of the complaints about the Kato SD-2 is not quality but quantity.

Lots of road names to do, but when KATO does a new run of SD-2's (or almost any of their products) most are new road numbers for roads they have already released or new schemes for their half dozen or so best selling road names.

And how many years is it typically between SD40-2 releases???

High Hood

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 554
  • Respect: +168
Re: Locomotive production - where does the industry go from here?
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2015, 05:54:46 PM »
0
I have two Bachmann C&O Kanawhas on order to replace/supplement my Walther's/Lifelike Berkshires that are still sitting on the shelf.  Sound and protypcial features are what prompted me to upgrade.  If a better model comes out I will replace something I already have.

I second Mr. Colombo's motion for an H-8 Alleghany.  It seems like this model has been done to death in HO, I don't understand why not in N.

I think Kato could produce the Mike with different boiler shell and tender combinations once a month now until doomsday and not cover all the prototypes.  The C&O had eight different classes!  It would be like printing money. But I know this subject has been beaten to death.

Pud, thanks for asking.

I'll make that a third if a correct Virginian AG class Blue Ridge is made as well.

mmagliaro

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6499
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2014
    • Maxcow Online
Re: Locomotive production - where does the industry go from here?
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2015, 06:00:29 PM »
0
I don't subscribe to the idea that all the highly desirable or common engines have already been made.
I am thinking mostly steam here, but...

There is no 2-8-2, 4-6-2, 0-6-0 or 0-4-0.  There have been entries into these wheel arrangements over the years,
but right now, nobody has any of these available.  The Bachmann 0-6-0 has a come a long way since
the "white box" days, but let's be serious.  It's no Kato Mikado and it never will be.
Those are probably the most common steam wheel arrangements every built.  They belong on any
layout, large or small, and yet, nobody is making them.  The Mikado is out of production,
the Model Power 4-6-2 is a ? right now (and was very troublesome even when it was being made). 
And no basic steam switchers?

The Spectrum 2-8-0 is a good basic staple.  At least that one keeps on soldiering on.

While Bachmann has been fighting the good fight, making some big engines like Mountains and articulateds,
the meat-and-potatoes of steam has really fallen by the wayside.

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: Locomotive production - where does the industry go from here?
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2015, 06:42:27 PM »
0
I see huge holes that have not been tapped:

GE UxxB, UxxC series are at the top of the list.

GE C30-7, C36-7, C30-7A semi-popular engines on a lot of first tier railroads. True they would require a lot of road specific details, but that seems to work with the U25C

Alco C4xx, C6xx series are also under developed.

A decent GP40-2. Atlas employees stated they wish they could retool this, but they don't see enough sales.

Commuter and modem passenger equipment is still uncharted territory. MP36/40s, F40PH-2C, single and bi level commuter cars are all needed. Lets not even mention the AEM-7 and newer ACS-64.

I also think that Walthers engine line is ripe for competition. They have not run anything other than their GP20 and GP60 in years. They still have not updated the SD7/9 which was a great looking engine.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 10:12:51 PM by daniel_leavitt2000 »
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

High Hood

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 554
  • Respect: +168
Re: Locomotive production - where does the industry go from here?
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2015, 06:51:18 PM »
0
I think a Phase 3 GP9 would sell very very well.  And good very good point with the U25C.  If it works for it, shouldn't that mean other engines and roads would be ripe for a U25C style detail treatment as well? 

High Hood

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 554
  • Respect: +168
Re: Locomotive production - where does the industry go from here?
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2015, 07:00:54 PM »
0
And a standard cab SD70 and Dash 9...somebody...please...make them.

BOK

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 157
  • Respect: +35
Re: Locomotive production - where does the industry go from here?
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2015, 10:03:51 PM »
0
I probably should have read this post before making a trip to Minnesota at Christmas and leaving a large box of n scale for sale by a friend. I wasn't sure of flea market/swap meet prices and I no longer needed the stuff all high quality, brand new, so I am sure I priced it low: $65 for an Atlas Shay. Kato undec. mike, Bachmann 2-8-0 and $50 for Atlas diesels, RS-1, GP-30, C-420? and others. Freight cars for $10. ea..

Once I dropped off the stuff, my friend sold $400. of it to a couple of guys at breakfast two days later. To be honest, once I turned it over to him I couldn't even remember what it was without looking on the list. With an up-coming retirement move I didn't need it and it felt good to give someone a good deal at a good price. It was equipment I either had run as an engineer or switched as a conductor and while it had sentimental value all it did was lay in storage and not run so it was time to "cull the herd". I still have 25 engines and a 100 cars/coaches of excellent good quality, and many set up with DCC and a few with sound I just couldn't part with. This equipment is usable for another layout if that occurs and at the same time makes it easier to distribute/sell when I pass on. Besides in the end it's all just muti-colored, plastic.

Barry   

BOK

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 157
  • Respect: +35
Re: Locomotive production - where does the industry go from here?
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2015, 10:45:27 PM »
0
Many of the new modelers, including N scale entering the hobby are coming from computer backgrounds often drawn in by DCC and sound equipped locomotives. The wiring is much simpler(think trying to explain to a newbie how to wire a simple layout for two train block operation vs. DCC) and the sound is getting better and more affordable all the time. Atlas and Bachmann, especially are doing a great job with affordable N and HO equipment many with DCC and often sound. I fully, expect the next run of N scale, Bachmann steam to come equipped not only with DCC but basic "sound".

Then the next step (it's already being tested) will be battery operated locomotives, DCC/sound controlled from your phone. The hobby just keeps on getting better and better. Most folks don't need a lot of equipment to enjoy the hobby just good quality with more realistic features. Less is often more.

Barry 

Angus Shops

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 822
  • Respect: +290
Re: Locomotive production - where does the industry go from here?
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2015, 11:45:37 PM »
0
I'd prefer to see model locomotives offered with a good level of detail, but not so much as to push the prices to levels where I can't afford to participate. I have no problem adding a few details to bring a 'generic' model up my modest standards. I see that as part of the fun. They should be DCC ready; I'm not DCC equipped but anticipate making the move in the middle future. The quality of the castings should be top notch, but I don't expect every prototype detail variation to be faithfully reproduced. I'm OK with a little 'close enough', or I can fix it if I feel the need.

Like many posts I am frustrated that even the most common prototypes are hard to find. I can understand that models of rarer prototypes might be hard to find after the initial release, but bread and butter locos  like GP 7/9's, F units, SD 40-2's, and etc. should be available reasonably consistently. I could use another half dozen Atlas GP 7's in CP block scheme if they were available, but I'd prefer to be able to extend the fleet purchase over a couple of paycheques. I'm capable of painting undecs, or repainting some other scheme, but the new fleet is more than I want to take on. When I say 'available consistently' I don't mean that the model of my desire is available whenever I want it, but it would be nice to know that that enough of my model was produced in the last production cycle that there might be one or two left on the shelf, or if not, that the next production cycle can be assumed to be not too far of into the future. As it stands I can't help but feel that I'm never going to see another GP 7!

I'm lucky enough to have a local hobby shop that, I assume, orders a few extras over the customer orders and stocks them on the shelves. Earlier this year a dozen or so Intermountain FP 7's and F7 B's in CP script appeared. I purchased a FP 7 and a B in the summer and another B just before Christmas. Great, new power for the Dominion. Of course, they had to be relettered into block, with new numbers, added grabs and rooftop icicle breakers as required, but all in all a very satisfying retail experience. They run beautifully and the A units are sooooo much quieter than the stretched Kato mechanisms under the kitbashed bodies of the A's they are replacing.

Geoff

victor miranda

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1604
  • Respect: +2
Re: Locomotive production - where does the industry go from here?
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2015, 11:27:45 PM »
0
where to go?

ok... I can state suggestions.  I am well past being tired of that.

is it too much to ask for Good Steam engines?

think sturdy.  the minitrix k4 is not up to modern standards in terms of looks
or chassis.
at no small expense I put another chassis under that shell.

tired of hearing the same requests yet?

learn how to make good steam engines in n-scale.
that is it.

frankly I find it hard to believe I have to say that.

Kato has shown it is a lofty goal.

there is some chance it can be done, in that b-mann's connie is servicable.
I'd like see through spokes... but the rest is good.
I guess if you can make the motor easy to replace, a coreless motor will accepted.

from that idea, specific or generic, as long as it is properly made
it will sell.

want to avoid spectacular failure?
try to stay away from parts that crack, motors that cog, flakey pickups, out of concentric gears,
wires the break,  etc.
all these complaints are from locos less than 12 years old and most have two of these features fails...

I do not see fierce competition for steam models.
combine the good looks of a model power pacific with the chassis features
found in the kato mike and b-mann connie
and god help you if you use the MP drivers thinking they are any good.

where to go...
make good ordinary steam engines.

looking for splash? hows about a flashy paint job on a pacific?
just think keep it simple sturdy.

strummer

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 998
  • Respect: +65
Re: Locomotive production - where does the industry go from here?
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2015, 11:52:13 PM »
0
I agree with Victor....

I'd like to see some sort of interurban-type rolling stock. Combine,coaches,steeple cabs.The Pacific Electric,the Oregon Electric, any one of a dozen mid-continent lines...well, you get the idea.

For whatever reason I've always been fascinated by this type of railroading,and would like to see what can be done. Whether or not there is an interest in this,I dunno...

Mark in Oregon

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Locomotive production - where does the industry go from here?
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2015, 09:46:04 AM »
0
There's one hole out there in the steam market, Bachmann (grimace) could produce its 3 truck shay in N.  If Atlas can produce a 2 truck and Bachmann can do a nice Connie and Mogul, it can produce its 3 truck shay in N.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Locomotive production - where does the industry go from here?
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2015, 10:24:17 AM »
0
I'm hearing all kinds of good suggestions for steam and diesel but nothing for any new electrics.  Would love to see an E33 and a E44.  Older PRR electrcs,  Little Joes and electric MU cars.  And while I'm at it how about some various cat poles to go along with the electrics.

unittrain

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1492
  • Respect: +148
Re: Locomotive production - where does the industry go from here?
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2015, 10:38:50 AM »
0
We could still use an ALCO C425! ;)

chicken45

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4500
  • Gender: Male
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1014
    • Facebook Profile
Re: Locomotive production - where does the industry go from here?
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2015, 11:58:29 AM »
0
I remember when only Lionel stuff had sound and smoke. Seems HO is getting those things. Not just smokestack, but steam blowdown and all that. You think that'll ever come to N scale?
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."