Author Topic: introduction  (Read 4282 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

grove den

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 100
  • Respect: +186
introduction
« on: January 02, 2015, 11:19:49 AM »
0
Hello I am Jos and live in the south east of the Netherlands close to the German/Belgium borders....
Been active/infected with the mrr bug when I was 6 years old  so almost 50 years modelling in  H0 and the last 30 years in  N scale.
My main interest is "watching" a ( small)train through a vaaaaste landscape .
This is what I want to achieve in my - finaly- module layout.
This layout  /scenery will be situated somewhere along the coasts of Norway or the north -west of the USA. So something like ( very) steep  rocky coasts and a lot of trees!
Modelling trees is  also one of my favourite themes/subjects of modelling a railroad.
Hope to start soon with building the first 3 modules...Track will be peco code 55 and I am still watching for the right engines/locomotives.
Will not be prototypical but more like: "what if....?"

made this plan 2 years ago and alraedy some changes= les tracks and switches!
Also been busy with the scenery= trying to modell the rocks/mountains with different kind of plaster....




Some trees I made in H0 as well  in N scale:
High altitude pinetrees


Larches autumn H0


Oak tree N scale, 5 inches


Tropical/Australian kind of tree N scale 5 inches


winter oak trees N scale 4 inches


Jos

garethashenden

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2340
  • Respect: +1846
Re: introduction
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 11:26:58 AM »
0
Fantastic trees! Care to describe how you made them?

Cajonpassfan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5401
  • Respect: +1975
Re: introduction
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 11:30:07 AM »
0
Welcome Jos!
Your trees are spectacular, wow....  :o
Otto K.

Scottl

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5307
  • Respect: +2619
Re: introduction
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 11:36:11 AM »
0
Welcome Jos!  Your trees and rock modeling are excellent, I am looking forward to seeing more of your work. 

VonRyan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3108
  • Gender: Male
  • Yes, No, Maybe So
  • Respect: +691
Re: introduction
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 01:14:27 PM »
0
Fantastic trees! I'd love to see a tutorial on how you make them.

Welcome aboard!


-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.

In Memoriam
Bill Kidd
Bill “Rep” Repholz
Erik Seidelmann

skytop35

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 810
  • Respect: +914
Re: introduction
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 01:15:09 PM »
0
Yeah, you really need to start a thread on tree modeling. Well done !  :D
Bill Denton

tehachapifan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3480
  • Respect: +1168
Re: introduction
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 01:20:15 PM »
0
Wow!! :o If it wasn't for the figures, bases or fingers in the shots, it would almost be impossible to tell those trees aren't real! Best model trees I've ever seen hands down, case closed. Rocks are great too!

GaryHinshaw

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6765
  • Respect: +2639
Re: introduction
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 02:22:57 PM »
0
Welcome!  I need to know more about these specimens:

winter oak trees N scale 4 inches


:lol:

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35320
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6660
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: introduction
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 04:01:33 PM »
0
Jos, these trees are stunningly realistic!. Are you the same person who has been posting their tree-making techniques on http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23011

I've been trying to compile that long thread into a tutorial (for my own use).  I started couple of years ago and put it off to the side (got busy with other projects).
. . . 42 . . .

grove den

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 100
  • Respect: +186
Re: introduction
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 06:11:36 PM »
0
Thanks for your warm welcome and many compliments!  :)
I am working on a translation of a "how to" about making trees. Pine trees as wel as deciduous trees.
So please be   patience.
Peteski: yeah that's me... ;)
Garyhinshow:
The picture of these 2 oak  trees are actualy made just before adding turf as leafimmitation!
I use aquarium  filterfibres and short grasfibres as support fot the added "leaves"
Here a H0 example= twice , almost three times as bigger as the oaktrees. I used large/long grassfibres from noch( 12 mm)as "basic"twigs on the branches

and some other trees in N scale(  small in H0 scale or very tiny in 0 scale :D )



Jos

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35320
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6660
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: introduction
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 06:37:02 PM »
0
Wow Jos, it is an honor to have you here on the Railwire!  Your user name should be "tree man"!   :D  We all have our specialty in our hobby - it is clear that yours is tree-making.

I dare to say that real trees (when growing) should use your models as a reference.  :D

As far as a tutorial of your tree-making methods - you should really seriously consider writing a multi-part article for one of the model RR magazines.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 06:38:55 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

chuck geiger

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3582
  • Gender: Male
  • Train Talk Media
  • Respect: +3970
Re: introduction
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 06:50:15 PM »
0
Move over David Frary and Lous Sassi - Here comes Jos!

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12348
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8596
Re: introduction
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 07:56:56 PM »
0

This makes me very happy.  I literally need hundreds of them.  Do tell!

Thanks,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35320
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6660
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: introduction
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 09:20:28 PM »
0
This makes me very happy.  I literally need hundreds of them.  Do tell!

Thanks,
DFF

It is possible that the 40-something page thread I pointed out earlier might have some good hints as to how to make these trees (along with all the other varieties Jos makes).  It is really something - treating each tree as a model by itself.
. . . 42 . . .

SSW7771

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 267
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +97
Re: introduction
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 10:15:04 PM »
0
Yeah, you really need to start a thread on tree modeling.

+1 Great looking trees
Marshall