Author Topic: Twin Cities Zephyr Dome Observation  (Read 8237 times)

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
Re: Twin Cities Zephyr Dome Observation
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2014, 10:27:31 PM »
Glad to see all the interest in the Wabash car.  I am more interested in finishing the Blue Bird, but the Q car made sense first with its full skirts and more corrugations on the obs end.  I was stagnant on the casting part, and Bill stepped in there to speed up the project.  I will try to get the Wabash master finished in a timely manner after the holidays.

The CZ Obs parts help, as the TCZ car can use the full observation lighting set up from the CZ car.  If you're not too worried about the lights, then it would also be pretty easy to just use an under frame from the original Kato corrugated dome car release, as 80% of the car is that car anyway... just need to carve the round end ons part in.  The truck spacing should be perfect and the dome floor more appropriate without modifications.

Anyway, the goal is to have cars that look as close to Kato factory cars as possible, to blend with the stock cars they've done.  That doesn't make it cheap to grab all the window inserts and parts needed, but in the end it looks factory and might be worth it to a select few of us!

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2014, 08:58:16 AM »
I am going to need the under frame as well.  Kato must not have had very many as I placed the order very early after the announcement. 
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2014, 05:14:18 PM »
Also Microscale is out of the proper decal sheet.  What does it take for them to rerun a new stock?
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2014, 05:22:52 PM »
Also Microscale is out of the proper decal sheet.  What does it take for them to rerun a new stock?

Usually, it's a bunch of requests. I emailed Microscale earlier this year, asking them to reissue Southern Box Car set 60-14, and they did this November. I made sure to write them and thank them.

Hmm... that sounds
reasonable...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2014, 06:41:33 PM »
Email sent referencing arrival of the new shell that will require this sheet.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +992
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2014, 09:22:07 PM »
Will the classroom the CZ dome coach fit it must it be from the original Kato Budd dome coach?
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

MRLX1020

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2014, 09:32:00 AM »
Silver View/Vista are based on the TCZ dome coaches, which are largely different from the CZ dome coaches.

TCZ - short distance cars
CZ - long distance cars

difference seat pitch, different window layout, different luggage rack layout...

CZ coaches are close enough that I have made a slab sided former GN Amtrak 9400 series dome coach from one...

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +730
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2014, 12:56:28 PM »
Will the classroom the CZ dome coach fit it must it be from the original Kato Budd dome coach?

Use the Original Kato Budd Dome Coach glass.
Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2014, 06:33:42 PM »
Is the rock island lettering a match for the Q?
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2014, 11:25:13 AM »
I received my TCZ dome-observation casting on Friday, and got the flashing cleaned up and a coat of primer on it last night.  This is a really nice model!
What is the best paint to use for stainless Budd cars, and what are your tips and tricks for spray application?
And no, Rock Island lettering is not like Burlington
Regards,
Paul

PAL_Houston

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2014, 12:01:41 PM »
PS: For the brave who don't mind piecing together car names one letter at a time, it should be possible to use Microscale 60-752 decals to make up either Silver View or Silver Vista.  (And I have a spare set or two -- PM me if interesred.)
Regards,
Paul

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »
And no, Rock Island lettering is not like Burlington

The RI lettering does match that of the Burlington.  It can be seen in a number of different shots of passenger equipment.

PAL_Houston

• Crew
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2014, 05:19:43 PM »
The RI lettering does match that of the Burlington.  It can be seen in a number of different shots of passenger equipment.

You are right of course, at least for some of CRIP's Budd Rocket equipment they used a font like Burlington's.  I don't know where the font actually originated, since it was used on the Cal. Zephyr's, I assume it was something originated by or for Budd and offered to customers like CRIP or CB&Q and WP and D&RGW. 
Regards,
Paul

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2014, 05:36:42 PM »
You are right of course, at least for some of CRIP's Budd Rocket equipment they used a font like Burlington's.  I don't know where the font actually originated, since it was used on the Cal. Zephyr's, I assume it was something originated by or for Budd and offered to customers like CRIP or CB&Q and WP and D&RGW.

The font goes back to the original Zephyr which predates the CZ by a long shot.  PZ 1934, CZ 1949.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

PGE_Modeller

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2014, 11:15:24 PM »
For those who would like to create their own decals, a "Zephyr" font is available for about $15.00 from Benn  Coifman's "Railfonts.com";
http://www.railfonts.com/cgi-bin/font_shop/fontshop.cgi?ACTION=enter&thispage=page9.html.

This company has a collection of approximately 50 railroad related fonts for use on home computers. 

The usual disclaimer: I have no connection with Railfonts.com other than as a satisfied customer.

Cheers,