Author Topic: Twin Cities Zephyr Dome Observation  (Read 8234 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Twin Cities Zephyr Dome Observation
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2014, 11:27:49 PM »
For those who would like to create their own decals, a "Zephyr" font is available for about $15.00 from Benn  Coifman's "Railfonts.com";
http://www.railfonts.com/cgi-bin/font_shop/fontshop.cgi?ACTION=enter&thispage=page9.html.

Those are well done fonts - I have used few of them in the past.
. . . 42 . . .

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2014, 12:26:48 AM »
Hmmm... [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2014, 12:40:23 AM »
It has ears and a mohawk!  :D
. . . 42 . . .

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2014, 08:07:31 AM »
"Hmmmmm..."

Looks like movement in the right direction.

Now, for the next question...

Has anyone come up with a close match for the Kato silver/chrome/stainless finish of the early Budd sets, which might save some time in finishing- so as not to need to refinish the dome coaches?

Tom D
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +730
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2014, 11:09:40 PM »
Ok, I was able to come up with the needed underframe and interior castings. Actually this will make it easier to build this car. No need to slice and dice the Kato underframe and interior. The underframe components now line up properly. The interior is a kitbash of Kato parts and while not exactly correct, it is "in the ball park" compared to the original Kato CZ dome-obs interior.  I also cast the dome seating as I was not able to find a Kato part number for it. The only downside is that it will be much harder to add lighting to the car.

If you already purchased a shell and just want the other castings ($25.00 + $5.00 shipping), go to my order page and put a note in the comments field.

Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2014, 11:22:32 PM »
Those parts are amazing!  They look like injection-molder styrene!
. . . 42 . . .

skytop35

• Crew
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2014, 11:26:26 PM »
Those parts are amazing!  They look like injection-molder styrene!

Thanks !
Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

Bobster

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2014, 09:42:53 AM »
Greetings all,

This most recent set of castings looks great.   Will the Wabash interior be like the actual Wabash interior or will it be like the CB&Q interior?  It is my belief, I don't have the Passenger Car Library,  that all the rear parlor seating faced inward.   Under the dome were, front to back, what looks like a drawing room, the men's room, and the ladies room.  I can modify these myself but now that there is an interior.......or perhaps I'm getting greedy.

Again I would like to say your efforts look great.
Bob L.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2014, 11:25:46 AM »
Bob, et al,

Although most who are going to build a resin shell into a Blue Bird obs would probably already know this, the car in question has gone through several private owners since its days as a Wabash car (not to mention N&W)- so there are some photos of interiors out there on the web that bear little resemblance to what the car's interior looked like when a Wabash car.  Best information on the car in Wabash service that I know about is the Winter 1995 issue of the Banner magazine (Wabash RR Hist Soc.)- which covered the Blue Bird consist.  I don't know if they still have paper copies, but if not, I have noted on their website that they will make digital copies (I think- or was it photocopies?) of out of print issues for a nominal cost.

Of course, the fact that the car still exists makes it a great "signature" car for those modeling the Amtrak years, or want a personal private car to carry a "mini-me" around the layout.

Also a note- sides for the PS dome-parlor 1602 (the extra dome added to the train to provide additional parlor space) are available from Brass Car sides.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Bobster

• Crew
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2014, 11:49:23 AM »
Thomas,

Glad you brought that point up, particularly if someone should look at my pictures on the Yahoo Wabash discussion group.   As I model 1/35th armor I have found original period pictures almost always beat what's in the museum.  Although I'm grateful the museums have saved the item. I'm positive the current seating in the front and rear lower areas as it exists today are no where near original.  The ceiling and water cooler (except for the shelf on top of it) look close.  I would say the restroom layout hasn't changed but some of the equipment and colors in there do not look original.   I'm betting the upstairs layout is the same but the colors are not original.   

I guess I should be getting with the Wabash Historical Society.  Thank you for that reminder.

Happy modeling,
Bob

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2014, 11:52:54 AM »
Of course, the fact that the car still exists makes it a great "signature" car for those modeling the Amtrak years, or want a personal private car to carry a "mini-me" around the layout.

Or even on excursions... as the prototype was used.  In private ownership is saw some use behind Cotton Belt Historical Society's Cotton Belt 819 when excursions were being ran...

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1906178

...or as a rail artifact, as the car now resides at the Southeast Rwy. Museum...

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1594551

skytop35

• Crew
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2014, 01:19:38 PM »
Greetings all,

This most recent set of castings looks great.   Will the Wabash interior be like the actual Wabash interior or will it be like the CB&Q interior?  It is my belief, I don't have the Passenger Car Library,  that all the rear parlor seating faced inward.   Under the dome were, front to back, what looks like a drawing room, the men's room, and the ladies room.  I can modify these myself but now that there is an interior.......or perhaps I'm getting greedy.

Again I would like to say your efforts look great.
Bob L.

Bob,

The Wabash interior will be the same. It can be modified if you so wish. My thought is that most of the interior can't be seen and spending many hours making an exact copy is wasted time. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do all these castings but the lack of Kato parts so suddenly more or less forced the issue and changed my mind.

Bill
Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2014, 05:12:23 PM »
Meanwhile...

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2014, 05:15:56 PM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Comparing to prototype mini tail light...

Bobster

• Crew
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2014, 09:38:27 PM »
Bill,

That's kind of what I was expecting to hear, but that's ok.  I appreciate what has been done.  You went beyond what you planned and from here it looks like you have done very well.   I'm going to sit back now and try my best to be quiet until you say that Wabash 1601 is done and I can send you the money.

Mike,
That's looking good.

Thank you, goodnight,
Bob L.