Author Topic: Kato low pro geared wheelsets in current Atlas trucks?  (Read 11541 times)

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
Kato low pro geared wheelsets in current Atlas trucks?
« on: June 13, 2014, 11:52:09 AM »
Just wanted confirmation that the Kato low profile geared wheelsets, work in the recent stuff released from Atlas? I remember it was mentioned awhile ago, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
The S.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Kato low pro geared wheelsets in current Atlas trucks?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 04:06:32 PM »
I used the ones (with offset gear) in couple of 6-axle Atlas Alco models. Then are not recent models, but new enough to have DCC-ready frames.  The wheels were a drop-in fit into Atlas trucks. Even the gear is identical to the Atlas gear.

The only hitch is that the axle length is few thousands longer than Atlas.  They work as-is, but the trucks don't roll as freely as with the original wheel sets.  That bugged me.

The half-axles are press-fit into the wheels. I ended up taking all the wheel sets apart then pressing the axles inwards using an arbor press.  After I did that the trucks were as free rolling as with the original wheel sets.
. . . 42 . . .

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 11:23:04 PM »
That works for me. The all around profile for the wheel is much nicer and if that's all the work I have to do, that's a pretty decent upgrade when details matter.

Thanks,
The S.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 11:39:02 PM »
That works for me. The all around profile for the wheel is much nicer and if that's all the work I have to do, that's a pretty decent upgrade when details matter.

Thanks,
The S.

I agree, these are really nice wheels: The faces look very realistic, the flanges are low, and the thread is narrower than Atlas.   Plus, is these are the same as other Kato wheels, they will stay cleaner longer than Atlas wheels.
. . . 42 . . .

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1766
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 12:49:02 AM »
I have found that Kato wheelsets often produce positive results when placed in Atlas locos.

The end needle point is longer on Kato wheelsets.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 10:53:39 PM »
I have found that Kato wheelsets often produce positive results when placed in Atlas locos.

The end needle point is longer on Kato wheelsets.

Did you modify the wheelsets like Peteski has mentioned?

The S.

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1766
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 08:27:58 AM »
No.

I'm sure there is variation between locos.

I just know that Kato wheels sets tend to work better in the HT-C truck.

Other trucks you may get different results.  Sounds like Peteski has done a bit more experimenting than me.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 07:09:03 PM »
Well...
I'd be curious to know if there are any Kato wheelsets that could replace the wheelsets on the Atlas 'Classic' Also RSD-4/5s...
Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 09:23:19 PM »
Well...
I'd be curious to know if there are any Kato wheelsets that could replace the wheelsets on the Atlas 'Classic' Also RSD-4/5s...
Bruce

Nope. Those wheels had a hollow half-axles turned along with the wheels as a single piece of metal.  Assuming that the ones you are asking for are the same as the Kato/Atlas RS-3 RS-11.
. . . 42 . . .

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 12:07:05 AM »
I attempted a test fit and they're definitely wider, bowing the side frames out. I'll have to chuck these in a lathe and trim them down at the points while not losing the guage.

The S.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 04:34:04 AM »
I attempted a test fit and they're definitely wider, bowing the side frames out. I'll have to chuck these in a lathe and trim them down at the points while not losing the guage.

The S.

It is easier and quicker to simply press the half-axles inwards. Wheels are press-fit on the axles.  Unless of course you don't have an arbor press....  :trollface:
. . . 42 . . .

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 08:33:48 AM »
It is easier and quicker to simply press the half-axles inwards. Wheels are press-fit on the axles.  Unless of course you don't have an arbor press....  :trollface:

Won't that make the gauge more narrow? Even if only a few thou, could it be enough of a difference to cause problems?

johnh35

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 09:00:23 AM »
If the points are cast as part of the wheel, you will need to rework the points

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 09:36:24 AM »
Craigolio nailed it. In checking the gauge of the wheels they are spot on. Pushing the wheels in will effect gauge which I would like to prevent.

The S.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 03:49:23 PM »
+1
Craigolio nailed it. In checking the gauge of the wheels they are spot on. Pushing the wheels in will effect gauge which I would like to prevent.

The S.

Guys, think about this. The wheels have half-axles pressed into them.  The half-axles are pressed into a plastic tubular axle with the gear on it.  The plastic axle is what controls the gauge.  The position of the wheels on the half-axles has no bearing on the gauge. Wheel backs rest against the plastic axle tube. The metal half axles don't touch inside the plastic axle (if they did, you would have a short across the rails).  :facepalm:

The half-axles just need to be pushed in by about 0.010 or so (I don't recall the specific value). I simply measured the distance between the axle ends on the Atlas wheel set, then figured out by how much I needed to press the Kato axles inwards. 
. . . 42 . . .