Author Topic: Using a RC helicopters and GoPro typ camera and you got a nice train shots  (Read 1382 times)

engineshop

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
    • http://www.engineshop.org
Check out the first 3 minutes what is now possible with the latest affordable toys.

oakcreekco

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Hmmmmm, might also be a good way to get a visit unexpectedly too! :o
A "western modeler" that also runs NS.

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
That's some gorgeous swiss engineering.  Amazing where we've been able to build railways.

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +140
A US subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlLt_6YTy5Y

Seems promising...

Baronjutter

• Crew
Just like with regular "railfanning" wait until some idiot pisses off the railroad or authorities doing something stupid. 
"Quad copter accident smashes window on locomotive, authorities to crack down on amateur operators"

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
It's the FAA that has a problem with these.  If Amazon ever starts using for delivery, the skies are going to be crowded with lower flying aircraft.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +116
So... Is it trespassing if your quad-copter flies over railroad property?

It would be a good way to get shots of locomotive topsides and car roofs for detailing.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +391
I rode a Steam Excursion in Oregon earlier this month, was riding in an open car immediately behind the locomotive and noticed a couple of these hovering above the train and darting around in some locations.  I shot a picture of them a couple of times.  Neither were much larger than a frisbee.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +2460
Wonder how much they cost?

trainforfun

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
Here is one over the Tehachappi loop , nice view of the flanges greaser at 0:14 sec.

Thanks ,
Louis

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +140
Wonder how much they cost?

I understand the quad-copters go anywhere from $100-400;  A Go Pro Hero is about $400-500 too.

Baronjutter

• Crew
You can get a starter quad copter with camera and everything for about 300-400.  Not quite go-pro quality but pretty decent.

jnevis

• Crew
  • WP Lives
  • Respect: +17
It's the FAA that has a problem with these.  If Amazon ever starts using for delivery, the skies are going to be crowded with lower flying aircraft.

Right now drones cannot legally be used for commercial purposes (although there are a lot of people using them for movies and such anyway) .  That said personal use is not restricted by the FAA if you stay below 400ft AGL. 
Can't model worth a darn, but can research like an SOB.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +27
    • Mockingbird Industrial
I bought a VERY entry level quad with 720p video camera for under $200 a few months back.  Unfortunately it was extremely windy and we only got to play with it for a little while before my son went back to his mom's.   But, the railfan aspect was not lost.   Thoughts:
-You would probably need a larger and more high-end unit than what I have to railfan effectively.  Mine is so lightweight that it really cannot withstand any significant wind.
-My "killer app" would be as mentioned...to photograph the tops of the cars for weathering/detailing purposes.
-I would not intentionally go *over* the tracks, but simply get a higher vantage point from where I stood.   I don't know the legal ramifications of doing so. (going over the tracks)  But, as was mentioned it could attract the wrong kind of attention.
-But, the potential lack of control could mean problems...just from the "wind" created by a passing train for example.  I joked in another topic about walking up the the Intermodal facility and asking them if you could have your quad from the top of the Hyundai container on the 2nd platform of the fifth car.   :facepalm:
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +257
Don't quote me, but I THINK the rules now are similar to RC airplanes.  If your area has a fliers group, they could probably answer a lot of questions.

I'd agree with Doug that it would be best to stay off to one side rather than directly over the tracks.  Besides the safety and legal issues, a straight-down view of a boxcar roof would make it a little hard to identify the car, unless the railroads have started painting numbers on the roofs.  I know they have on some tankcars and containers, but how common is it on other cars?
N Kalanaga
Be well