Author Topic: FUD-safe paint stripper?  (Read 3260 times)

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +275
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
FUD-safe paint stripper?
« on: May 26, 2014, 04:35:44 PM »
So, I had a bit of an oops momemt with a Shapeways model - accidentally tipping over a freshly painted tender and getting a bunch of workbench crud stuck in the paint. IE, time to strip the paint and start over. So, I immersed the whole thing in 91% alcohol and this was the result -

Is paint a one-way trip on these FUD models? I can't imagine a stripper much gentler than alcohol (that's still going to get the job done).

Thanks,
-Mark

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
Re: FUD-safe paint stripper?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 04:42:00 PM »

my Toyota looks like that...

Hmm... it's just a 6 inch
dent in one fender, Kiz...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +2774
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 04:46:57 PM »
Holy cow!  I think something reacted to the paint because FUD is pretty much indestructible. Unless that shell walls are very thin?

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 05:06:48 PM »
The shell walls are not thin - pretty much the same as any other model you'd care to shake a stick at. The paint is nothing special - the same Model Master enamel stuff I've been using for years.

Based on my results, I think it's safe to say that FUD is not pretty much indestructible, LOL.

Cheers,
-Mark
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 06:01:28 PM by spookshow »

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 05:09:29 PM »
Mark, Since that model is pretty much a basket case. Try Scalecoat II Wash away paint stripper, see if it removes the paint without doing any further damage to the plastic?

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 05:14:06 PM »
I had a near identical result with Scalecoat stripper. I'd skip that one too.

Randy

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +262
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 05:28:40 PM »
Thank you for posting this.  And here I was, considering whether alcohol might useful for cleaning Shapeways shells prior to painting.  Guess I can check the "NO" box on that one.  I destroyed a resin shell a couple years ago with alcohol- it curled into a U shape- but otherwise have had very good luck with it.

Tom D.

"The difference between the difficult and the impossible is that doing the impossible is usually more fun." (my college design professor Russell Whaley)

Rich_S

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 05:33:37 PM »
I had a near identical result with Scalecoat stripper. I'd skip that one too.

Randy

Randy, Was it scalecoat or scalecoat 2? Only scale coat 2 is safe for plastics. I've used it for years on all the popular manufactures models (Atlas, Athearn, Bachmann, Life-like, etc) without any issues.
Another popular brand of paint remover was Chameleon Stripper, but I think they have gone out of business. I've never tried Testors ELO (Easy-Lift-Off) paint remover but according to their web site it's suppose to be safe for plastics?

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 05:50:39 PM »
Randy, Was it scalecoat or scalecoat 2? Only scale coat 2 is safe for plastics. I've used it for years on all the popular manufactures models (Atlas, Athearn, Bachmann, Life-like, etc) without any issues.
Another popular brand of paint remover was Chameleon Stripper, but I think they have gone out of business. I've never tried Testors ELO (Easy-Lift-Off) paint remover but according to their web site it's suppose to be safe for plastics?

I honestly don't remember.. I know I used it on plastic before.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1959
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 05:53:19 PM »

There is no Scalecoat 2 stripper - there is only one Scalecoat "Wash-away" paint remover.  Its chemistry has nothing to do with the paint chemistries.
Testors (um, ex. Floquil) ELO contains a chemical similar to brake fluid.  That might not be safe for FUD either.

I'm also surprised that FUD was damaged by alcohol.

We need to remember that all these paint strippers were introduced (as safe for plastics) when plastic kits were made pretty much of polystyrene and ABS.  Obviously FUD resin is made from some material which behaves differently.

One more type of chemical left is lye. It works differently than the other strippers tried so far. Castrol Super clean (or generic "purple stuff") would be something to try.  Or the old-school EasyOff oven cleaner (the original formula).

« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 05:55:01 PM by peteski »
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 06:16:19 PM »
Actually ... the last time I made a boo boo on a model , I stuck it back in the Bestine and it stripped the paint. I didn't let the paint dry. I used Scalecoat paint to begin with.

Randy

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 07:25:21 PM »
Actually ... the last time I made a boo boo on a model , I stuck it back in the Bestine and it stripped the paint. I didn't let the paint dry. I used Scalecoat paint to begin with.

Randy

Having never tried it for such things, I wasn't sure about Bestine's ability to strip paint (and so didn't try it). What flavor of Scalecoat are we talking here? 1 or 2?

Thanks,
-Mark

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +387
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 07:36:12 PM »
With the right weathering, that could be used as the starting point for a fire-damaged model.   Could be a real eye-catcher.

Ed

Rich_S

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 07:43:41 PM »
There is no Scalecoat 2 stripper - there is only one Scalecoat "Wash-away" paint remover.

Sorry Peteski but my bottle clearly reads "Scalecoat II Wash away" They also sell a paint remover for metal, not sure what they call that product.  Just because I'm new here, does not mean I'm new to this hobby.  :trollface:

Rich_S

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 08:04:48 PM »
Here, I'll even upload a picture so you don't think I'm full of it.

It doesn't say scalecoat wash away, it says Scalecoat II wash away  :trollface: And the gray lettering says PLASTIC. Why, because Scalecoat 1 paint is for brass, metal or wood.