Author Topic: Monster Model & Laserworks  (Read 2640 times)

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
Monster Model & Laserworks
« on: March 13, 2014, 07:48:43 PM »
Monster Model & Laserworks

http://monstermodelworks.com/N-Scale/N-Brick-Sheets/

Has anyone had the opportunity too work with any of their product? I am most interested in hearing from others that have used their brick sheets. They look really good. Also am wondering about the orientation of the brick to the sheet. They sell sheets that are 12"x4" and 12"x6" but don't say which is height and width.
So fire away with any and all comments about this stuff.  ;)

Jon

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
Re: Monster Model & Laserworks
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 08:51:43 PM »
I have been trying to get some answers from Monster Modelworks via email about custom cutting, but no luck. It might have ended up in their spam folder so  I plan on calling them tomorrow.

Chris Brimley's N scale Hudson Terminal shows some great examples of the potential.  I say potential because that guy is an amazing talent.
You don't need a Facebook account to access it.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Terminal-Railroad/135551333173688

Best wishes, Dave
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:57:32 PM by Dave Schneider »
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 09:00:49 PM »
I ordered some brick sheet with custom cutting in 2-21 hadn't received yet I emailed them and they said they have been slammed and they will get to custom cutting this week.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 09:24:13 PM »
I have some sheets. They are either 1/8" or3/16" thick. Makes them kinda hard to work with.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 10:06:52 PM »
I have some sheets. They are either 1/8" or3/16" thick. Makes them kinda hard to work with.

Chris,

Which way were the bricks orientated?

Jon

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »
Oh I'll have to look when I get home, but I remember the block wall was longways. Something like 6x24" so the wall could be 6" tall. (Just guess the dimensions)

kelticsylk

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Milepost 15
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 11:50:57 PM »
The Monster products look good to me, but that Hudson Terminal site...WOW!

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 01:59:33 AM »
The sheets are horizontal. The long side of the brick is parallel to the long side of the sheet.

I'm a novice at building structures, but I really like Monster Modelworks products. It takes a little getting used to, but I actually find it easier to work with than plastic. Easier to get better results, anyway.

The thick sheets are designed to be the main walls of structures. The thin sheets are for detail. I have, however, built a small structure with the thin sheets, glued to chipboard (provided in the package). It was a snap to cut and work with. I would hesitate to build larger structures with the thin sheet, though.

I've emailed Jimmy a few times, and I've always heard back from him within a couple days. They've recently had a string of releases in larger scales, so I can imagine they'd be swamped.

Now that I've used their products, I doubt I'd choose anything else for a structure that's highly visible.

Jim

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 02:10:01 AM »
I didn't know they made thin bricks and blocks. How would I make nice window holes in 3/16" basswood?

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 02:42:51 AM »
I'd be more worried about how to hide the ends of the basswood.  Cutting exact angles for mitered corners has never been one of my skills...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 02:46:17 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 02:56:16 AM »
I'd be more worried about how to hide the ends of the basswood.  Cutting exact angles for mitered corners has never been one of my skills...

THey have special corner pieces to deal with that issue.
http://monstermodelworks.com/N-Scale/N-Brick-Block-Stone-Corners/

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 03:39:46 AM »
The sheets are horizontal. The long side of the brick is parallel to the long side of the sheet.

I'm a novice at building structures, but I really like Monster Modelworks products. It takes a little getting used to, but I actually find it easier to work with than plastic. Easier to get better results, anyway.

The thick sheets are designed to be the main walls of structures. The thin sheets are for detail. I have, however, built a small structure with the thin sheets, glued to chipboard (provided in the package). It was a snap to cut and work with. I would hesitate to build larger structures with the thin sheet, though.

I've emailed Jimmy a few times, and I've always heard back from him within a couple days. They've recently had a string of releases in larger scales, so I can imagine they'd be swamped.

Now that I've used their products, I doubt I'd choose anything else for a structure that's highly visible.

Jim

Thanks for the info Jim. I was thinking that would be the case but you know when you assume anything.  ;)
Looks like I might have to give this stuff a try.

Jon

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 08:48:18 AM »
Wonder if those corners can be shaped with steam?  One could get some nice curved accent corbels over windows, etc.  Agree that hudson terminal looks great.

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 12:10:33 AM »
Wonder if those corners can be shaped with steam?  One could get some nice curved accent corbels over windows, etc.  Agree that hudson terminal looks great.

I'm thinking you may mean lintels for over windows (corbels are those little very fancy things made to support balconies or roof overhangs) -- and Monster already makes pre-made lintels.
-Mark

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 02:00:51 AM »
Dave:  That should do the job.  I hadn't looked that far.
N Kalanaga
Be well