Author Topic: Weekend Update 2/23/14  (Read 9359 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +539
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Weekend Update 2/23/14
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 07:34:20 PM »
Nice pic Richie.   A good one who people who don't think Illinois has any tunnels.  The track is IC, but the CGW had rights.  The double track crossing was CB&Q.

He're the other end.

Jason

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +896
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 08:19:52 PM »
Farr Bridge build update...I got the remainder of the laser cut and etched pieces this week, painted them and put together the sub assemblies.

Then installed and painted all the ties and tried a temporary build of one side and one end to see what the link assembly will be like. Everything fits but boy is it time consuming...lots and lots of opportunities to make mistakes. 

...and I couldn't resist putting it in place, if nothing else but to see the scenery and approach rework that will be needed!  The scenery in this area is 5+ years old now and will need attention to bring it up to current standards.

Also we had an ops session last night...the first time since September.  Things worked pretty well but I did lose a semaphore :( which will need a memory metal actuator rebuild.  On the plus side I will try a lighter duty spring design...the calcs show I can get by with something a little softer which, if correct, means increased deflection and blade throw.

Here are a few shots from last night...

(Gary Hinshaw, John Green, Glenn Morgan, Len Thompson)

(Steve Stark switches the pulp mill while a work extra trundles across the Kettle River bridge at 10 mph)

Glen Morgan switching Fife...

...with one of his flag men protecting from two on coming scheduled freights!

Have a great weekend (go Team Canada!)

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +237
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 08:57:06 PM »
Very inspiring Mark (and I second the motion, Go Team Canada Go... beat the Sweeds !!!!!!!!!!!!)

I have a few weathering projects to offer up and a "small build"...

A Rock Island Airslide - a better pic of what I showed a few weeks ago...

It's C&NW buddy...

A Prairie Shadows CP Rail Action Red gondola.... always looks better weathered.... the proto photo's I had always showed a "weather line" in the floor rivet line so I tried to get it without being too overt....

....and I built one of Jeff Briggs 40's flat deck trailer kits and painted it for an "imaginary" local BC hauler "International".... I like these simple but detailed kits !

... and we shipped 5000 HO scale Osgood Bradley cars..... trains can be exhausting................. !  :D

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:59:02 PM by Puddington »
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +481
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 09:41:31 PM »
Puddy,
That's a cool flatbed.  ANy chance that one of our Canadian pushers might still have some in stock?

Mark,
Your bridges are works of art.  And thanks for providing proof of life for Gary . . . .
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

BCOL 747

• Crew
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 09:54:51 PM »
After several months of “putting it off” I finally took the plunge and started painting the backdrop of the Pine Pass area of my BC Rail Chetwynd Sub. I used a lighter sky blue latex paint on the horizon and a darker sky blue for the overhead sky. I tried something a little different than the norm when it came to the clouds, using oils so I could obtain a lighter feathery effect than I could with acrylics. After letting the oils dry for about two weeks I finished everything else with acrylics. I am fairly happy with it for a first timer but interested to know what others think. Please feel free to scrutinise and give your suggestions.

As always this is my favorite post to read as I get to see what others have been up to. Great, I have to follow MD and his wonderful C & W. Just inspiring!

[/URL]

Chris
BC Rail Chetwynd Sub
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:09:48 PM by BCOL 747 »

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +237
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 09:59:16 PM »
Philip: i ordered mine on line from Central Hobbies in Vancouver. They were, if memory served, $20.00 for a two pack of either the 40 ft or the 45 ft; I bought one if each and am quite pleased with the quality if the castings.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +446
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 10:23:12 PM »
Chris, that backdrop painting is excellent.  Very convincing.  Mark, the bridge looks excellent as well, I'm quite envious of your ability to produce these so beautifully and most of all, quickly!

bnsfdash8

• Crew
  • Respect: +469
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 10:33:46 PM »
I was busy with my free time this week and got a few projects almost ready for paint.

First off is a modified Atlas hopper that will end up being NS' 50th anniversary hopper for their Pier 6.

Second is NS 6920. I got most of the details installed, the rest will come after paint, and just need to modify the frame for the correct fuel tank I built for it.

Reese
Modeling Norfolk Southern one loco at a time.

mandealco

• Crew
  • Respect: +87
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 01:42:18 AM »
Mark, your bridge work is absolutely amazing, but I'm also a big fan of your H-liners.  Nice work.
Cheers
Steve

PaulP

• Crew
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 03:21:18 AM »
Been working on signaling on the layout. Got all the mainline detection in and adding switch machines and signals. I am just using Digitrax signal heads for now and getting the system up and running and then I will decide on building signal masts. I am using Panel Pro to control the signals. Lots to learn but so far working great.

Paul

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +896
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 08:57:10 AM »
Mark, your bridge work is absolutely amazing, but I'm also a big fan of your H-liners.  Nice work.
Cheers
Steve

Thank you Steve!

While th H liners are my pride and joy, all the credit should go to Jeff Briggs of Briggs models. He designed the Kaslo Shops kit mold, ans assembled, detailed, painted and decalled 9 of the 10 units. The 10th unit was done by John Walter and it is the trailing unit in this photo. All I did was weather the units.

Jeff is an amazing artist and John is certainly no slouch either.

Md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

R.Groff

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 09:37:40 AM »
Just started to read this post and  like the back drop using oils to do clouds looks very good I am going  to try this out.
Rick

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +691
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 09:56:22 AM »
Some awesome modeling going on here, great thread!
Mark, that bridge is Farr out! Very impressive!
Otto K.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Your choice for ANAL...
  • Respect: +2062
    • DKS Home
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 12:25:56 PM »
A bit more progress on the Hoboken Manufacturers.

Got four tenements under way for the corner where the el starts dropping down to street level.

On the opposite corner, replaced the DPM corner building with a firehouse.

And, installed and painted the retaining walls for the end curves/grades.

"Life's a piece of sh!t when you look at it."
                                       —Monty Python