Author Topic: Next Nscale Locomotive with Sound?  (Read 2086 times)

drgw0579

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
Next Nscale Locomotive with Sound?
« on: February 05, 2014, 12:16:55 PM »
With all the good work by members of this forum retro-fitting DCC sound decoders into N scale locomotives, I wonder what the next unit available from the factory with sound will be.  Easy locomotives with lots of room for existing decoders (F45, DD40AX, etc) don't count.

Bill Kepner

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +236
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Next Nscale Locomotive with Sound?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 12:22:23 PM »
Our recently announced Rapido Trains Inc. N scale GMD-1 will come equipped with optional ESU Locsound decoder complete with our "Jason actually sat on the roof of the prototype and recorded all the noises" sound for the unit.....  :D
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Wardie

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 03:47:54 PM »
Our recently announced Rapido Trains Inc. N scale GMD-1 will come equipped with optional ESU Locsound decoder complete with our "Jason actually sat on the roof of the prototype and recorded all the noises" sound for the unit.....  :D

Hopefully the GMD-1 sells well enough that you can announce an N scale FP4-A that "Jason sat on the roof recording the noises". My CN passenger cars would be very happy to be pulled around by some FP4-A's.

robwill84

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 04:32:47 PM »
After all this work, Bachmann will probably come out with a sound equipped 44 tonner soon

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 04:41:32 PM »
I'm eager to see/hear the new Atlas S2.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

drgw0579

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 04:54:08 PM »
I am also waiting for the S2 because I want to understand how frame design will change to accommodate sound.   Will the changes required be such that it won't be easy for existing models to be redesigned? Was the S2 at Springfield?  It will also be interesting to see if that platform can be used for other models like an S4 and T6.  I'm guessing it will be, because the kit-basher's worst nightmare is that someone will announce the model you just spent a lot of time and effort doing yourself!

Bill Kepner

JSL

• Crew
  • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
  • Respect: +4
    • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 08:07:21 PM »
-2 from IM.

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +548
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 08:28:41 PM »
I am also waiting for the S2 because I want to understand how frame design will change to accommodate sound.   Will the changes required be such that it won't be easy for existing models to be redesigned? Was the S2 at Springfield?  It will also be interesting to see if that platform can be used for other models like an S4 and T6.  I'm guessing it will be, because the kit-basher's worst nightmare is that someone will announce the model you just spent a lot of time and effort doing yourself!

Bill Kepner

I'm anxious to see what Atlas does with the S-2 as well, mostly for how they do the speaker installation.  The sound decoder itself probably will be pretty straightforward: a PC board that fits between the frame halves like current DCC-ready diesels.   But where is the speaker going to be?  In the cab?  That would be logical, and it is where I mounted the speaker in my VO-1000.  More importantly, will they take the time/assembly effort to use a speaker with a properly sealed enclosure?  And what kind of speaker will they use?  A cheap 10mm round that sounds awful, or will they invest in one of the tablet/cell-phone speakers like I've been using in my hood diesels?  Many questions, not many answers so far (though I recall someone saying they had heard a prototype and it sounded great; then again, what some folks find "great" doesn't meet my own definition of good sound, so I'll have to wait until I get the two that I've ordered).

But since the S-2 has already been announced, I think it's probably not what the OP had in mind.  It seems to me that manufacturers are not going to redesign their current offerings to include sound, so the next sound-equipped loco will have to be a new offering.  I'm also not counting the EM-1, which is clearly designed for sound (there's a speaker opening in the tender) and which I fully expect to be offered with sound at some point.   So what would the next one be?  The most likely candidate is a steam loco, where everything can be shoved in the tender.   But it would need to come from a company that has shown some inclination toward sound.  So perhaps a UP FEF from Athearn?  I'd suggest Kato, but I haven't seen much to indicate that Kato would be interested in doing a full-on sound system in a steam loco.  A cab diesel would be easy, but again, they've all been pretty much done, and I can't see a manufacturer redesigning their mechanism just for a sound version.  Same for the big modern diesels - I can't see either Kato or FVM doing a sound-equipped SD70 ACe, though that would be a logical step.

So my money would be on a steam loco being the next sound-equipped locomotive in N scale.  Someone's going to do a UP FEF sooner or later.  That's my bet on the next released loco with factory sound.

John C.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 08:30:22 PM by jdcolombo »

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 08:36:48 PM »
Heretics
often get burned at the stake, but I'm halting locomotive purchases for now.  The possibility of IM SD40-2s notwithstanding I don't see a lot coming in the near future that specifically interests me in signifigant quantities so it is an easy claim to make.

Sound installations are fast approaching the first wave penetration that sparked the drop in decoder revolution for DCC.  Early adopters needed to have much skill with cutting tools and impeccable planning.  We of the second waves gained specifically from efforts of the pioneers and had a much easier time of it.  Factory DCC made it mainstream and Factory DCC/sound is further moving the market.

I'm expecting revolutionary changes in the next 12-36 months that may very well make my entire current locomotive collection nothing but a heap of unused dust collectors.  Run, Mr. Wallet, run...
Support fine modeling

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +260
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 12:31:56 AM »
because the kit-basher's worst nightmare is that someone will announce the model you just spent a lot of time and effort doing yourself!

Bill Kepner

Just happened. I've been building a GMD1 off and on for a long time. It done with the exception of truck side frames and a fuel tank. I ordered One from Rapido because it will be way better than mine and have sound.

Craig

nstars

• Crew
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 07:21:49 AM »
I'm anxious to see what Atlas does with the S-2 as well, mostly for how they do the speaker installation.  The sound decoder itself probably will be pretty straightforward: a PC board that fits between the frame halves like current DCC-ready diesels.   But where is the speaker going to be?  In the cab?  That would be logical, and it is where I mounted the speaker in my VO-1000.  More importantly, will they take the time/assembly effort to use a speaker with a properly sealed enclosure?  And what kind of speaker will they use?  A cheap 10mm round that sounds awful, or will they invest in one of the tablet/cell-phone speakers like I've been using in my hood diesels?  Many questions, not many answers so far (though I recall someone saying they had heard a prototype and it sounded great; then again, what some folks find "great" doesn't meet my own definition of good sound, so I'll have to wait until I get the two that I've ordered).

John,

The S2 was shown last year at the NSE convention and it had the speaker in the cab. Given the very loud and clear sound it must have been a speaker similar to the Zimo 8x12. The decoder is the Loksound micro. It didn't have the correct sound yet, but as you can see from the Loksound website, the correct sound is now available. Below you can have an impression of the sound as I heard it at the NSE convention. Please remember it was in a large room. The decoder was not yet in the loco installed, but the speaker is.

Marc

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +548
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 09:25:03 AM »
Hi Marc.

Thanks for the info.  Hard to tell much about the sound in that environment, but the cab-mounted speaker gives me hope that Atlas did this right.  A cab-mounted speaker almost HAS to be rectangular, and if you are going rectangular, it's got to be something like the Zimo or Knowles Fox or similar (maybe an 11 x 15, which appears to be a very popular size for smaller tablets and e-devices).   I know ESU will get the sound right; my ALCO's sound terrific - every time I turn them on I get a smile on my face.  So the 539T sound file will be excellent, I'm sure.

I'm pretty sure Rapido is going to "do it right" for the GMD-1, too, though that's a prototype that I really can't find a use for (though I might buy one anyway; heck, I've got a UP Challenger and BigBoy that aren't exactly at home on NKP rails in 1957).

So between the S-2 and the GMD-1, we're clearly making progress.  Now the steam manufacturers need to follow suit.  The cutout Bachmann has for a 15mm round speaker in the bottom of the EM-1 tender is ridiculous.  That tender is huge.  They ought to have something like the 13mm x 18mm Dumbo (now out of production, but Knowles makes a similar-sized Sambo) when they eventually do a sound version (as I have little doubt they will eventually do).  Same for Athearn - doing a BigBoy with a 15mm round speaker in the tender is crazy given the space available. 

But I am pretty excited about the S-2; got two sound-equipped undecs on order, awaiting black paint and NKP decals, after which Atlas will no doubt announce an NKP version.  Sigh.

John C.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Ontario - tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax
  • Respect: +57
    • My train pics
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 10:37:12 AM »
Hopefully none. If sound is inevitable, please make it so the operator has to pay a dollar or two each time they blow the horn... so annoying.
Welcome to Ontario... we've got a tax for that.
My train pics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
More here:
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1821
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 01:15:55 PM »
Hopefully none. If sound is inevitable, please make it so the operator has to pay a dollar or two each time they blow the horn... so annoying.

Sound is optional: It can be easily disabled (muted).  Real serious soundphobes can cut the speaker wires for a more permanent solution.  ;)
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +236
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 01:18:57 PM »
....but why cut the wires... I mean, our unit will play a wide range of authentic trains sounds and the entire back catalog of the Bare Naked Ladies so...... what more could one want...???????? :facepalm:
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!