Author Topic: Roundhouse Lay out help  (Read 648 times)

CR6707

• Respect: 0
Roundhouse Lay out help
« on: January 20, 2014, 08:40:42 AM »
I am wanting to scratch build a 3 stall roundhouse but i don't want to invest the money into a whole kit just for the base.  Can anyone help me get started on how to lay out the base?  Maybe its not as difficult as i make it out to be.  Thank you for your help in advance!

Scott

highway70

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Roundhouse Lay out help
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 09:22:09 AM »
This site has CPR (Canadian Pacific?) Standard Plans for some of their roundhouses  - free download.

http://modelersguild.com/site-features/model-railroad-plans/category/14-roundhouse.html#

To layout the roundhouse, you need to determine at least:

1: The diameter of the turntable

2: The angle between the tracks

3: The distance from the turntable to the structure.  (1 & 2 control, but there is some leeway - the minimum distance will be determined by the width of the doors plus the minimum width needed for columns between the doors)

4: The length of the stalls. 

BY the way - be sure to check out the rest of the above linked site for interesting articles, more plans, and interesting linked websites.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:56:28 AM by highway70 »

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 09:24:43 AM »
I am wanting to scratch build a 3 stall roundhouse but i don't want to invest the money into a whole kit just for the base.  Can anyone help me get started on how to lay out the base?  Maybe its not as difficult as i make it out to be.  Thank you for your help in advance!

Scott

This is probably the simplest part of the roundhouse. However you need to make a selection on turn table which in turn (nyuck, nyuck!) determines the tracks. Once you have the exit racks off the turntable you can then layout the floor plan for your roundhouse. Try using some white poster board and draw it out there. Once you have it drawn you can use it as your guide for the floor. For the floor I'd probably start with .060" plastic.

The S.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +705
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 05:57:03 PM »
At the roundhouse doors I found 14' on center tracks to be nice .