Author Topic: Bachmann Alco S-4 Latest  (Read 6408 times)

johnh35

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Bachmann Alco S-4 Latest
« on: August 06, 2013, 01:48:03 PM »
A reply to my inquiry as to when?

"Thank you for your interest in Bachmann Trains products. The N scale Alco S4s JUST arrived in our warehouse on Friday and are in the process of being entered into inventory for retailers and customers. We will be announcing them as a feature product/part of the announcements on our website soon as they are inventoried. A good rule of thumb in the future is to check the new Online Store on our website. If new items are in inventory, they will show up as available in the online store."

I am pumped to see these finally about to hit the street. I plan on using the mechanism to repower my old SW1000 that I kitbashed from an Atlas MP15DC shell. 

JoeW

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • N Layout list
Re: Bachmann Alco S-4 Latest
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 08:53:42 PM »
I am really looking forward to getting one of these models

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +29
    • Unnamed Switching Layout
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 10:57:46 PM »
Sweet; wonder what the street price will be? I'm going to college, so a small switching layout featuring one of these until the Atlas S2 is out would be a fun way to unwind for thirty minutes
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018

Altoona

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 11:22:03 PM »
One  etailer has the Bachmann ALCO S4 for $78.49  :) with a list price of $129.00 :|

Judd Barton

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +421
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 09:56:56 AM »
+1
I'm going to post my reply to this thread, rather than start a new one...
I searched for the Bachmann S4 discussion thread and suddenly remembered the 'discussion' and consequent closing of the thread...

I FINALLY purchased one of these little gems! My intention was to have a nice little ATSF switcher to run on the T-Trak modules during set ups...(I try not to run my super detailed Santa Fe Fleet at public shows unless specifically asked to bring a particular train to show and discuss)...so I tend to keep a separate 'show' inventory of power and rolling stock.
Our T-Trak group (SWARMTrak) operates one line DCC and the other DC; we want to keep one line DC so those that don't have DCC power can participate, we can also accommodate folks who are purchasing and/or considering purchasing a locomotive at the show; they can test and run their engine on our layout.
 Despite Otto's previous pictures on the now closed thread, I still hemmed and hawed about this one and was content to wait until Atlas does their S2 in the zebra stripe scheme. It was only when I saw MB Klein's price for one of these ($79.95) that I finally said 'what the heck' and purchased one...
It won't be my last!

the appearance and performance are outstanding...handrails very nice and thin (as thin, or thinner, than any others out there), detail and paint are very crisp, and performance is fantastic.
My only 'complaints' are the side windows applied from the outside (whether they are glued or not isn't an issue for me-there are no glue seams or smudges on my example-), but, because they are applied from the outside of the cab, there is a distinctive 'lip' that makes them appear more prominent. My fix for this will be to somehow remove the 'windows', paint the edges black, then re-install them with canopy glue.
The only other issue, for me, are the large couplers....an easy fix with a swap (I may try to fit MT 905 Z scale couplers)

I understand the 'less than enthusiastic about Bachmann anything' folks out there, but they have, indeed produced some very nice items in N scale (the 2-8-0 and this one really stand out to me)
Here are some quick pics on one of the T-trak modules

« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 12:11:05 PM by arbomambo »
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
NTRAK Board of Directors
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

[/ur

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 12:02:49 PM »
+1
I understand the 'less than enthusiastic about Bachmann anything' folks out there, but they have, indeed produced some very nice items in N scale (the 2-8-0 and this one really stand out to me)

Thanks for sharing. With some in the crowd here, could be considered courageous.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 12:26:53 PM »
+1
Looks great, arbomambo! I also appreciate you giving credit where credit is due, as this is an exceptional model from Bachmann for all the reasons you cited. The windows don't seem to bother me so much though, especially since they are flush with the cab as opposed to the usual huge recess on most N scale locos. I much prefer the former over the latter. That said, your plan seems like it should tone down the edges more. Please post pics if and when you do this.

Here is my recently-purchased model, which I am also absolutely thrilled with....

Loose handrail has since been reinserted.
Russ

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 12:34:13 PM »
That is a nice looking loco.

The S's are outside my era,,( trying to stay true)

WHO???!!!???  Put the O scale coupler on the loco,,, :o :o :o. Man that thing is HUGE.

If I happen to purchase said piece of motive power,,, I WILL definitely change out the coupler,, nice loco overall

Adios, Wyatt

arbomambo

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 12:40:57 PM »
Looks great, arbomambo! I also appreciate you giving credit where credit is due, as this is an exceptional model from Bachmann for all the reasons you cited. The windows don't seem to bother me so much though, especially since they are flush with the cab as opposed to the usual huge recess on most N scale locos. I much prefer the former over the latter. That said, your plan seems like it should tone down the edges more. Please post pics if and when you do this.

Here is my recently-purchased model, which I am also absolutely thrilled with....

Loose handrail has since been reinserted.

that Tiger Striped unit looks great as well! ( I love your street running)
It seems that Santa Fe modified their ALCOs (including the S2 and S4s) with a taller rectangular stack...
I also want to make this change on mine and it will be considerably easier to remove (grind?) the styrene exhaust housing on the Bachmann model than the Atlas S2 (die cast metal).
I'll update with any details done on mine...
Bruce

Bruce M. Arbo
NTRAK Board of Directors

[/ur

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +547
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 02:19:07 PM »
the appearance and performance are outstanding...

So you see the extra window as more of 'feature' than a bug.    :P

Jason

arbomambo

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 02:59:46 PM »
So you see the extra window as more of 'feature' than a bug.    :P

Jason

If you're referring to the small door at the bottom of the cab door, I don't see much of a problem with that...very easy to fill with styrene and/or camouflage with paint. It doesn't exist on any of the photos I have of ATSF units, but I can't vouch for it's existence (or not) on any other road's units...
 Bachmann didn't provide a separate body shell that features a Santa Fe-style stack, so I'll have to cut and fabricate that if I want to try to model mine as accurately as possible. (but, then again, Atlas hasn't provided a separate ATSF stack either).
 Considering that the rest of the model is quite nice, I can live with (or fix) something as small as that...I can find some type of general or road-specific inaccuracy with almost every N scale release, so it's incumbent on me to decide, if I purchase, whether to 'live with it' or make the effort to 'fix' whatever inaccuracy I perceive it to have.
 In this case, AND in my opinion, this release is a STEAL!....
and, at a discounted price of $79.95 (WITH basic decoder) something I simply could no longer find a rationale to NOT purchase!

I will do a number of things to 'accurize' mine for the Santa Fe (even though it will mainly be a 'show runner'):
 change out the couplers
 fabricate a proper ATSF-style tall stack
 try to see if I can't hide the window edges on the cab side windows
 add photo etched windshield wipers
 fill the lower door window with styrene, paint and decal over it'
 add the canvas sunshades over the side windows
 add some light truck and underframe dusting/weathering

Bruce

Bruce M. Arbo
NTRAK Board of Directors

[/ur

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2008
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 04:11:17 PM »

I guess it is all in the eyes of the beholder.  The thing that puts me off with those windows is that the corners are all rounded.  :RUEffinKiddingMe: That looks totally wrong to me.  The boxing-glove coupler (I like that term coined by Daniel) can be replaced - not a big deal. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 04:13:15 PM by peteski »
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

arbomambo

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 04:41:37 PM »
I guess it is all in the eyes of the beholder.  The thing that puts me off with those windows is that the corners are all rounded.  :RUEffinKiddingMe: That looks totally wrong to me.  The boxing-glove coupler (I like that term coined by Daniel) can be replaced - not a big deal.

yes, the coupler is an easy swap...I do like the Z scale couplers so I'll try to use those...
I 'think' I see what you're talking about with the cab side windows...it would appear, in close up pics, that the opeings are more square, but the window 'glass' has rounded corners...regardless, if I can remove the window glass, as I want to do, It would  be easy to replace those cab side panels with cricket-cut clear sheet, getting thinner side windows in the process...
as far as the cab end windows...all my pics of S4s have the windows rounded like that...
The S2 models, however, seem to have squared windows, which Atlas molded on theirs...
so it appears that the two manufacturers' models did a good job of modeling the differences, in this area, unique to the model designation

Bruce M. Arbo
NTRAK Board of Directors

[/ur

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2008
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 05:36:47 PM »
That is funny Bruce.  I need an S4 which had squared-off windows all around.  :D  That is why Bachmann model looks all wrong to me.

--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 05:48:19 PM »
Bachmann didn't provide a separate body shell that features a Santa Fe-style stack, so I'll have to cut and fabricate that if I want to try to model mine as accurately as possible. (but, then again, Atlas hasn't provided a separate ATSF stack either).

Isn't there one available from Shapeways?  I seem to remember seeing a thread on another forum about them being available but don't remember by who.

I guess it is all in the eyes of the beholder.  The thing that puts me off with those windows is that the corners are all rounded.

Only the very earliest of the ALCO S4s had the old styled windows like what was found on ALCO S1 and S2 models, less than 60 IIRC.  The sealed windows, as modeled by Bachmann far better than I was expecting, is accurate for the vast majority of S4s that were built so having this feature makes it very accurate for nearly all.  My problem, though, is how the side windows look... they should have been like the windows the Atlas model has... if I were to get one of these beauties I would have to change the detail so as to look appropriate.