Author Topic: New ESM video - XIH V!  (Read 2804 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1368
    • www.bbussey.net
New ESM video - XIH V!
« on: June 20, 2013, 02:12:50 AM »
The latest ESM video featuring the fifth release of the XIH Boxcar.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +160
Re: New ESM video - XIH V!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 09:05:20 PM »
Those are really nice!!  I need you to do some Q stuff!!  :)
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +323
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 02:23:57 AM »
Any chance that the State of Maine NH scheme will run again? For us lonely and forgotten NH modelers out here in the darkness?

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 02:33:12 AM »
New Haven is far from a forgotten road at ESM (or at most of the other manufacturers for that matter).  There were five road numbers released for that scheme — that comprises 5% of the actual roster.  Two of the numbers remain available.  You can see your local dealer or order direct from the website.

FYI - There is a ton of previously-announced New Haven product appearing within the next six weeks from multiple manufacturers.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 02:35:35 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +739
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 09:13:27 AM »
Have I missed the third release on the x58s or is it still coming?

Jason

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 09:47:37 AM »
In the fall.   They will be announced in August.  The PRR car you have been waiting for is in that release.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 02:28:36 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 01:56:44 AM »
New Haven is far from a forgotten road at ESM

Yes, I love ESM for that fact -- you even made NH streamlined passenger cars at one time. And yes there are a lot of plastic New Haven prototype locomotives available from many places (no electrics though) and a NH caboose. But the majority of the freight stuff is the McGinnis boxcar. And "State of Maine" cars that are not prototype. So you can only put so many NH MTL hoppers (which are close versions) in a freight before it looks out of whack for the NH.  I don't expect anybody to ever make a NH ten-panel gon. Or a NH passenger train set or individual cars. Which is ironic since passenger trains were a big part of the NH. Granted NH through freights had large numbers of foreign roads, but still be nice to throw in a few other type of NH cars in there other than McGinnis boxcars (which do not fit into a pre-54 layout).
The XIH was a nice surprise, being as there weren't that many prototypes made. Kind of like the DL109, released again. Sure weren't as numerous as PAs....

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +739
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 09:24:44 AM »
Kind of like the DL109, released again. Sure weren't as numerous as PAs....

:?

My count is 60-27 DLs win.

Jason

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 11:05:11 AM »
... But the majority of the freight stuff is the McGinnis boxcar...

Decorated N scale models produced that are exact replicas of New Haven prototypes:

Freight:
Athearn, 50' Boxcar DSD:  red-orange New Image (2).
Atlas, 1945 International Caboose (NE6):  as-built (4); red-orange New Image (4);
             black/white New Image (2); all-black New Image (2); red-orange Alpert (2).
Atlas, PS-1 Boxcar SD:  Script (2).
Atlas, PS-2 Cement Hopper:  Script as-built (2); Script Alpert (3).
ESM, 40' Quad Offset Hopper:  freight car red Script Alpert (2).
ESM, PC&F 40' Boxcar (XIH):  State of Maine Script (5); freight car red Alpert (4).
InterMountain, AAR 1937 Boxcar SD:  Script (12); red-orange New Image (4); black New Image (8 );
             freight car red Alpert (4).
InterMountain, AAR 53' Flat:  black Dumaine (6).
InterMountain, AAR 53' Bulkhead Flat:  black Dumaine (6).
Kadee/MTL, 33' Twin Ribbed Hopper:  black Dumaine (6).
Kadee/MTL, 33' Twin Ribbed Panel Hopper:  black Dumaine (1).
Kadee/MTL, 50' Fishbelly Flatcar:  black Dumaine (3).
Kadee/MTL, Scale Test Car:  black Dumaine (1).
Red Caboose, 40' Flatcar:  black Dumaine (12).

Motive Power:
Atlas, RS-1:  green/orange Script (3); red-orange Alpert (2).
Atlas, RS-11 (w/RS-12 fuel tank):  black/red-orange New Image (5).
Atlas, RS-3:  green/orange Script (2); red-orange Alpert (2).
Atlas, GP-9:  black/red-orange New Image (7).
Atlas, GP-38:  CNDOT New Image (3).
Atlas, U25B:  black/red-orange New Image (8 ).
Bachmann, 4-8-2:  (2).
Bachmann, GE 44T:  black/red-orange New Image (1).
Kato, RDC1-4:  Script (4).
Walthers, 0-8-0: (2).
Walthers/Life-Like, FA-1/FB-1:  green Script (4).
Walthers/Life-Like, PA-1:  green Script (2), orange/green Script (2).
Walthers/Life-Like, RS-2:  green/orange Script (4); black/red-orange New Image (2).

Passenger:
ESM, 14-4 Sleeper:  Script (4); New Image (4).

Buildings:
Branchline:  Caanan Union Station.
Branchline:  Cannondale Station.
N Scale Architect:  New Haven Tower.

Existing plastic that is 100% accurate but has yet to be released in New Haven schemes:
InterMountain:  AAR 40' "Pacemaker" Boxcar
MTL:  Heavyweight 28-1 Parlor
MTL:  Heavyweight 12-1 Sleeper

Announced plastic that is 100% accurate and due within the next 18 months:
Rapido:  Pullman-Bradley Light Weight intercity coach
Rapido:  Pullman-Bradley Light Weight intercity coach w/smoking lounge

This list doesn't include another dozen or so models that are 90% accurate, nor does it include the dozen or so brass or undecorated kits that are railroad-specific. 

New Haven is the best-represented of the smaller Class I roads in N, hands down, and also that's with it being a railroad that utilized a ton of esoteric equipment.  If you can't find prototypical New Haven equipment in N scale, you're not looking very hard.  And you're incorrect about most of the N scale freight equipment being decorated in the New Image scheme.  It's not even close.

One pet peeve of mine — McGinnis was NH president for a mere 21 months.  Although he initiated the image makeover, most of the rollout occurred after he was gone.  The scheme was officially designated as "New Image" by the railroad, not "McGinnis".  The austerity New Image scheme was implemented during the Alpert regime around 1960.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 11:17:00 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Scott Lupia

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 11:14:26 AM »
Now you got Bryan all fired up!  He is gonna pull out the charts and graphs next.  ;)

Scott Lupia
"All I wanted was a Pepsi"

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +188
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 07:55:52 PM »
He throws that list out at someone every few weeks.  Probably has it printed on the back of a deck of playing cards.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 03:32:47 AM »
Decorated N scale models produced that are exact replicas of New Haven prototypes:

Pre-McGinnis modelers need to drop all the post 1954 equipment and color  schemes from that list(Kadee/MTL, 33' Twin Ribbed Panel Hopper as a one of a kind limits its quantities). If you add kits someone makes Clejan trailer flats, and there's the GHQ depressed center flat. Whenever somebody makes a G85 trailer-train-type flat that's another post-54 car, though probably won't come with NH markings. There are a large amount of locos compared to rolling stock, is what I'm saying. Look, I'm with you wanting more NH stuff. And it's great to hear Jason is going to make the O-G coaches in N. But we both know nobody is going to mass-produce the Pullman lightweights with the curved end roofs.

P.S. Your list needs the addition of MTL 50' covered gondola and please don't forget the DL109s!

OldEastRR

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 03:41:01 AM »
Also, where are the 53' flats? I never saw them go by, did they go that fast? Can't find them anywhere on-line. I see the HO ones on the IM site, but no N.

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 08:55:12 AM »
I said exact replicas, and I said decorated ready-to-run.  That eliminates the other models you mentioned.  The MTL covered gon is NOT correct for NH.  Simply offering a model painted for NH does not qualify.  Both the Con-Cor and Walthers/Life-Like DL-109s are close but the details are not in the configuration that the NH units were the majority of their existence.  The GHQ depressed-center kit must be modified to represent the NH transformer cars.

Yes, one MTL panel hopper.  But MTL also produced six prototypically-correct standard ribbed pre-New Image hoppers for BLW, which remain available.  And since this isn't Lionel, you shouldn't be running a dedicated train of NH hoppers anyway.  For your era, the breakdown of your open hopper roster should be roughly:  NH, 24%; PRR, 26%; Direct Interchange, 35%; Other (mainly B&O), 15%.  So that 24% easily can be comprised of the available MTL hoppers, while the Pennsy cars can be filled with Bowser models.  The B&O cars would be a mix of Atlas and MTL.

The point being:  There is a wide variety of prototypically-correct pre-decorated freight and motive power equipment that has been produced in NH, whether you are modeling pre-New Image or New Image.  And by the end of next year, a large swath of passenger equipment will be represented. 

If there is something you want that isn't available commercially, exercise your modeling skills and kitbash/scratchbuild it.  That is particularly true of passenger equipment modelers.  If you require a consist other than a California Zephyr, El Capitan, Super Chief, Broadway Limited, or City of L.A. — then there is at least one piece of equipment (and usually more) in a desired passenger consist that would have to be kitbashed or scratchbuilt if you want authenticity.  New Haven modelers are not alone in that regard.

I'm not one to "want" manufacturers to "poof" something out of mid-air.  If the plastic exists and is prototypically-correct for NH (such as the MTL 28-1 parlor), then no-doubt I want to see it released in NH.  But I don't wait around for it to happen.  I paint/deco it myself.  If a manufacturer offers a correct model in another scale (such as the Rapido PBLW), I will lobby the manufacturer to release it in N.  But I don't expect anyone to make a R-T-R model from scratch.  If I want it badly enough, I'll scratchbuild it myself.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Scott Lupia

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 08:56:48 AM »
He throws that list out at someone every few weeks.  Probably has it printed on the back of a deck of playing cards.

I am pretty sure Bryan has an old looking red phone under a glass bell jar which, when activated, sets forth a chain reaction of pre-generated lists, charts and graphs being sent to various online forums.  I also heard that he has a special button in his house which can only be activated by the simultaneous turning of two launch keys.  We don't know what happens yet when that occurs but I theorize that it might be spectacular!

Scott Lupia
"All I wanted was a Pepsi"