Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/24/13  (Read 12197 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +998
Weekend Update 3/24/13
« on: March 22, 2013, 07:29:51 PM »

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +492
    • Skytop Models
Re: Weekend Update 3/24/13
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 07:32:39 PM »
My first attempt at weathering a steam locomotive. Having only done diesels before, I was sort of at a loss for where to start and how to go about it. I found a Model Railroader article from August 2002 entitled “Realistic weathering for steam locomotives”. Pretty good article as it breaks the process down into steps that are easy to follow. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

BCRail_FSJ

• Crew
  • Respect: +305
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in New Zealand (what could possibly go wrong?)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 08:01:42 PM »
Nothing major this week, but I did install some frame decals and sunshades to the cabs of my three SD40-2s.   A small job but it really improves their appearance.

Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in New Zealand.

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com

The Beer Baron

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • The Inverness and Richmond Railway
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 08:03:36 PM »
I assembled one of my 40' steel reefers from this thread.

..and some CMW vehicles arrived from eBay. Scene is coming together.

Drew
Chief Operations Officer
The Inverness and Richmond Railway

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

rail and tie

• Crew
    • Inter-Action Hobbies
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:09:22 PM »
Excellent weathering job on the loco.

Here is what I have been working on and will hopefully get some more progress done over the weekend for a CD Challenge on another forum (put anything you can in the area of a CD). Any guesses as to what it is??  ...and no it is not a Hobbit Train!

Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Enterprises
www.interactionhobbies.com

""Leonard, check it out. I've bought an N Gauge locomotive. Half the size of HO. Look...it fits in my mouth!"

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +240
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 08:39:16 PM »
Original NYC subway car.

No trains this weekend, with the move and traveling to Tennessee to pick up my daughter for spring break, I really didn't have time. 
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +3214
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 09:02:45 PM »
Richie,

Erie was using movable point frogs back in the 1950's so they have been around for a while. Erie crossing the NYC:

Incidently they same exact area now has a few switch heaters...

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Son of DKS
  • Respect: +545
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 09:21:32 PM »
Excellent weathering job on the loco.

Here is what I have been working on and will hopefully get some more progress done over the weekend for a CD Challenge on another forum (put anything you can in the area of a CD). Any guesses as to what it is??  ...and no it is not a Hobbit Train!

Its that subway that used giant fans at either end of the tunnel to move the car, isn't it?

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher - Modeler of the PRR, PRSL, GWR, SZD, and DRG

WWII Clerk/Administration Historian

Switchboard Technician - 33rd Signal Construction Battalion (reenacted)

Squadron Clerk - Capital Wing, Airmans Preservation Society

rail and tie

• Crew
    • Inter-Action Hobbies
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 09:30:32 PM »
 :D
Cody, that is correct ( and so is delamaize).

It is a N Scale version of the Beach Pneumatic TransitCoach that was built and tested in NYC in 1870.

http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/beach/chapter6.html

I am doing up a diorama showing a cross section of the Raised Railway, Streetcars, and the underground at the turn of the Century (the 1900 one).  Should be fun.

I have already been asked to burn a few more kits of it in N and HO...
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Enterprises
www.interactionhobbies.com

""Leonard, check it out. I've bought an N Gauge locomotive. Half the size of HO. Look...it fits in my mouth!"

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +998
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 09:55:08 PM »
Thanks Chris , maybe I should start reading the captions in mags instead of just takin' in the sights .  :oops:

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +1221
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 09:56:48 PM »
I have enjoyed a restful Spring Break listening to music and making progress on some modelling projects.

More details added to the rear of the three M-630s including rear number boards, flag holders, and radiator walkways:

I decided to build a new underframe for my model of BCOL 6506 Tool Wash Car to correct a few issues.  The new one has a correct twin I-beam centre sill:

Here is a close-up of the details which include AB brake reservoirs and triple valve, furnace oil tanks, and equipment racks:

I also began work on the companion coach for the Prince George Auxiliary, which was the cook diner car BCOL 6508.  I am fortunate in that the car now resides in Terrace, B.C. where friend and fellow Railwire member Doug Davies also resides and he has been able to provide measurements and photographs for me.  Here is a photo he took upon its arrival there in 1996:

The car has an interesting history, built originally in 1911 as the Pullman heavyweight sleeper BLASDELL and sold in 1947 to the Pacific Great Eastern Railway where it was renamed WILLIAMS LAKE.  During conversion for work service the car was cut down to a point just below the belt rail and rebuilt with new upper sides with windows along the top.  The vestibule at one end was closed in.  There are some interesting details including the side ladder, rooftop water tanks and smoke jack.  I had been contemplating cutting down a RIvarossi Pullman car and rebuilding it much in the same manner that the railway did, but Geoff Gooderham's work on my BCOL 6506 encouraged me to try a scratchbuild of my own.  Here is a start on the underframe with centre sills and diaphragm plates installed, and dual AB brake equipment, underframe water tank, trucks and couplers ready to go on later:

Here are the component parts for the sides, including inner and outer side sheets from .020" styrene and strips of .005" styrene for the window frames:

The small vertical pieces are the plate-ins for the closed in vestibule at one end.

Tim

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:33:59 PM by BCR 570 »
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 10:00:18 PM »
Movable point frogs ?  I have to ask even though it shows my ignorance.  Why would you want to do that?

Doug

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 10:07:41 PM »
I second that question.

Hmm... I have a pet frog.
He's moveable but doesn't
have any points...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +3214
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 10:34:34 PM »
I think movable frog points are for shallower angles so there is no wheel drop, you can run faster.

I've been working on a coal trestle for my "real" layout

Based on what's left of a real one:

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 11:33:54 PM »
I've been working on a coal trestle for my "real" layout

Looks groovy!
Like the railing, the rails, the chute handles.

Just curious: which is your "real" layout???  :P
And on which Engineering Report thread can we follow this masterpiece?  :ashat:
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/