Author Topic: Removing Glued on Roof: Intermountain Boxcars  (Read 5575 times)

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Re: Removing Glued on Roof: Intermountain Boxcars
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 09:36:42 PM »
...In a few days, we'll be talking about baggage conveyors :P

Hmm... I wanna talk
about reciprocating bilge
pumps...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2013, 11:12:47 PM »
Dave

I am grateful IMR released the SD40/5T-2, but as is they need work, requiring dis assembly .  I rinse the shell with water place the shell in the freezer the joint become brittle. I strip the shells first. Stripping the paint has loosen a few bonds/welds as well.

Look forward to  seeing the model and more progress on the Hmmmm ........Beer Line.

Greg

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2013, 01:11:56 AM »
RE: the Stanray roofs and the dating, I know many railroads began to refurbish older boxcars in the early to mid sixties.  Strengthening sills, widening door openings, changing or adding doors, changing out trucks to increase capacity and often replacing the roofs were all part of these modernization efforts.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2013, 01:19:17 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I managed to get the roof off without too much difficulty. I used the "prison payback method" of a single edge razor blade, guile, and patience! The ends popped off easily, which allow easy access to the end of the roof. A little gentle prying and it was off. I fit a new Stanray diagonal roof (don't they make pianos?) from a Walthers NACC car with a few minutes of filing. The Walthers car also supplied the plug door. Still thinking about the ends. I have some MTL mechanical reefers  from their fantasy car series (Santa, Pepsi, etc,) that have the proper ends. Need to double check the width. I would love to use Intermountain ends if they are available. Need to check.

Here is what I accomplished this evening.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4206
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2013, 01:55:03 AM »
I forgot about the NACC plug door and was wondering where you were going to salvage it from.

Regarding the ends, you've already determined the MTL mechanical reefer is correct or nearly so.  Email Joe and ask him if he'll do you a solid by selling you a couple of undec bodies, which will be less costly than buying the undec assembled model (if you can find it) at retail.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2013, 02:25:58 AM »
I went through what I had and I can't top what you you've already got.  There really isn't a good 60's version of the r/3/4 with a high brake wheel.  In a perfect world, the Atlas Precision car could be used but with the molded detail it's just not worth it.

Go with the Mechanical Reefer.  Apart from the ladder it looks really good for the picture you posted.  I always thought they seemed wide, but I guess it's just that the sides stick out.  I measured across the side rivets (I can't promise I got in there perfect) and I got within a scale inch of the end piece for the IM 50' cars.

In case you're wondering about the IM r/3/4 ends, they're for the 10' car and don't really have the right shape on the corrugations anyway.

And yes, by all means don't chop a $20 car if you don't have to.  Never hurts to ask.

Jason

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2013, 08:51:15 AM »
Awesome Dave.  Let me know if you want me to update the 2000 series artwork for the 8000 series cars so decals can be printed.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2013, 09:12:20 AM »
Don't have one in front of me at work, but doesn't the IMRC Santa Fe reefer have a 3/4 end?  The new NYC postwar box car looks like it may be a candidate too.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:15:11 AM by sirenwerks »
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »
The new NYC postwar box car looks like it may be a candidate too.
The NYC post war is the same as the GN cars I noted above.

I don't own one of the reefers, but from the photos it's not a great match. It's either too tall or out of proportion or both.  Either way it would need to reworked quit a bit.

Jason
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:14:45 AM by wcfn100 »

Dave Schneider

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2013, 11:51:54 AM »
Awesome Dave.  Let me know if you want me to update the 2000 series artwork for the 8000 series cars so decals can be printed.

Thanks for the offer Mike. I did some artwork previously, but wasn't entirely pleased with it. I'll send you what I have for your review. You have a really good eye for these kinds of issues.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2013, 01:11:21 PM »
Dave -
I'd really like to encourage you to pick up one of those Athearn NACC boxcars to see how much more fine scale the roof is.  It will also allow you to recreate the overhanging eaves of the prototype.
Bryan

Member of MRHA

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2013, 01:16:50 PM »
Dave -
I'd really like to encourage you to pick up one of those Athearn NACC boxcars to see how much more fine scale the roof is.  It will also allow you to recreate the overhanging eaves of the prototype.

I think that's what he's using.

Jason

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2013, 01:25:46 PM »
I think that's what he's using.

Jason

Close...Walthers NACC   Not great tooling when compared to the Athearn.
Bryan

Member of MRHA

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2013, 01:39:23 PM »

Close...Walthers NACC   Not great tooling when compared to the Athearn.

Got a link to the Walther's NACC car?

Nevermind - found it.  I see why I never owned one.

Jason
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 01:48:34 PM by wcfn100 »

Dave Schneider

• Crew
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2013, 01:58:39 PM »
Dave -

Good point Bryan. I used the Walthers because that is what I had on hand. It looked okay to me at first, but after I looked at the photo I posted I was less impressed.  Amazing how photography allows you to see things. I will look into this.

Best wishes, Dave