Author Topic: Gooderham Slab Side Hopper Build  (Read 11174 times)

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Gooderham Slab Side Hopper Build
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2013, 01:51:45 PM »
As Mr. Lockwood said, weathering brings out the car.... This is what I am trying to achieve...

and the top....

(Both images from the "Canadian Rail Car Pictorial Volume Seven: Camadian Pacific Covered Hopper Cars - Richard Yaremko; Published by Trains Canada 2001 ISBN 0-9681186-9-0) I highly recommend these books if you model Canadian cars....

I used a styrene sheet with strips carved in it and dry brushed a lettering grey for some base streaks. I then used grey and white pasels to overcoat, then chalks to add road dirt. The roof was done with dry brush stipples of silver, then overcoated with three different dust powders and then black chalk.....

I am awaiting the 0.08 wire for the roof grabs but all in all I think it's a good start... as I build more cars I will alter weathering and liveries.....

Thanks you Geoff Gooderham and Central Hobbies of Vancouver for bringing this model to the market..... it's a beauty !
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2013, 02:09:31 PM »
I have a pair of rectangular-hatch cars coming at the end of the week.  Based on the prototype photos, I might attempt to lower the car .020" rather than add the coupler pad to body-mount.  We'll see.

Since Plano etched roofwalks are being used, why not use the 47' covered hopper roofwalk?  Or is the prototype too short for that?
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2013, 02:11:44 PM »
"BTW; CP had both types that Geoff has made, the six square hatch and the eight round hatch so I'll be using both; plus one TH&B and a PGE as well..... :D"

Railroad Model Craftsman ram a series of articles on these uniquely Canadian cars.  Don't remember what issues right off hand but I may still have them.

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2013, 02:21:34 PM »
.Since Plano etched roofwalks are being used, why not use the 47' covered hopper roofwalk?  Or is the prototype too short for that?

Model (and prototype) are 42' 6" from roof edge to roof edge so that walkway would also be slightly too long... plus I didn't know it existed, so...... :D
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2013, 02:30:53 PM »
As Mr. Lockwood said, weathering brings out the car.... This is what I am trying to achieve...

Wow... I think you nailed it!

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2013, 09:22:02 PM »
When weathering the cars, you will want to keep in mind the service you are envisioning for your cars.  The car illustrated and modelled by Pud looks very much like a car in cement, limestone or some other mineral service.  These were prone to having large white streaks down their sides.  Cars in grain service tended to be generally dusty.

I think you will find that the eight round hatch cars owned by CP and TH&B, and the second batch of PGE cars, were built by Marine Industries and featured welded sides.  You would therefore want to sand off the rivets on the model prior to painting, and perhaps scribe in some weld seams.

I was also unaware of a covered hopper running board.  I chose the 50' one because Central Hobbies had them in stock, and because I knew for sure it could be shortened to fit.

Tim
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:39:11 PM by BCR 570 »
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2013, 09:28:53 PM »

I think you will find that the eight round hatch cars owned by CP and TH&B, and the second batch of PGE cars, were built by Marine Industries and featured welded sides.  You would therefore want to sand off the rivets on the model prior to painting, with the exception of the rivets along the bottom side sill.

Tim

Exactly correct; I will be doing that to the TH&B car and one other that will be in CP script.

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2013, 09:31:10 PM »
When weathering the cars, you will want to keep in mind the service you are envisioning for your cars.  The car illustrated and modelled by Pud looks very much like a car in cement, limestone or some other mineral service.  These were prone to having large white streaks down their sides.  Cars in grain service tended to be generally dusty.

Tim

This car would have been a cement hauler or limestone; either. I chose this partially because we used to see these at Havelock all the time 20 odd years ago and that's exactly what they looked like.... I plan to alter weathering, as I said earlier to represent a number of different products. Oddly enough, the ones in grain service tended to show more rust than non grain service units.....

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2013, 09:33:07 PM »
As a few other people seem to be interested in completing a PGE or BCOL car, here is a summary of the cars I have seen photographs of:

BCOL 2101
Grey/PGE map logogram
Dry sand service
Photographed at Prince George 25 June 1988
Photographed at Prince George 17 July 2009

PGE 2102
Grey/original NSC red stencilling
Dry sand service
Photographed at Chetwynd 17 May 1986

BCOL 2103
Grey/BCR dogwood logogram
Dry sand service
Photographed at Prince George 25 June 1988

BCOL 2105
Dark green/BC RAIL interim logogram
Dry sand service

PGE 2107
Grey/PGE map logogram
Grain service

BCOL 2109
Dark green/BCR dogwood logogram
Grain service
Repainted 1982

PGE 2110
Grey/original NSC red stencilling
Grain service
Photographed North Vancouver May 1985

BCOL 2112
Grey/BCR dogwood logogram
Grain service
Photographed at Dawson Creek July 1985

BCOL 2113
Dark green/BCR dogwood logogram
Grain service
Repainted 1982

BCOL 2114
Light green/BCR dogwood logogram
Grain service
Photographed 1977 page 75 Canadian Railways Color Guide Vol. 2

PGE 2115
Grey/PGE map logogram
Cement service
Photographed May 1985

I have never seen a photograph of 2104, 2106 or 2111.  I seem to recall that 2108 was also grey with dogwood logogram but I do not seem to have a photograph to verify this. CDS N-676 will complete a car in the map logogram scheme as per 2101, 2109 or 2115.  2107 had a smaller map logogram.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 01:13:41 AM »
So; it's too clean... it's WAY, WAY, WAY to clean... maybe a builders photo...? Anyway; the first Gooderham slab side; 6 square hatch, early 1950 build - Canadian Pacific Railway...

Pud,

Please take no offense, I am in awe of your modeling skills.

But after all the anticipation about this car and it's wonderful detail and not to mention (again) your assume skill, I couldn't help but thinking in this photo, a black brick on wheels would look about the same.

I am sure after it is properly weathered, it will look wonderful.

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2013, 08:10:54 AM »
....but it IS a "black brick on wheels".....- I'm stealing that line...might look good on a routing card  "P/U at MP12.4 2 x BBOW - CPR 280234/CP280251"................LOL  :D

Agreed; the weather car looks much more realistic !

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 10:28:01 AM »
I'm going to disagree with Gino Vannelli..."Black cars (Don't) look better in the shade..."

...they look better at night by the light of a flash bank..... ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:24:37 AM by Puddington »

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2013, 10:57:49 AM »
....but it IS a "black brick on wheels".....- I'm stealing that line...might look good on a routing card  "P/U at MP12.4 2 x BBOW - CPR 280234/CP280251"................LOL  :D

I think you typo-ed that and mean 380xxx. :)

CP 280xxx were ex-express reefers.  ;)

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2013, 11:23:05 AM »
I think you typo-ed that and mean 380xxx. :)

CP 280xxx were ex-express reefers.  ;)

Disclaimer: "All typing before the 3rd coffee of the morning has been consumed is deemed to be "draft only" and may not, in any way, be held against the author, nor considered to be anything but random keystrokes offered for amusment purposes only"....  ;)

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
Pud, I know this is heresy to you, but I think that between Microscale 60-221, and CDS 228a or b, 454, and 447, there should be enough to do the slabs in the multimark. Seems that the multi in 228 is a perfect match for the size used on some (think it depended on the shop doing the painting), but the red triangle would have to be borrowed from 454 (trimmed) or 447. Not sure if the white CP Rail in 60-221 is correct size, but will check tonight.