Author Topic: Different suggestion for Atlas!  (Read 1624 times)

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +129
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Different suggestion for Atlas!
« on: February 14, 2013, 07:56:05 AM »
Atlas is 90 years old in 2014 - how about getting a US RR or Amtrak or NJ Transit (!!!!) to do an Atlas commemorative locomotive:

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +475
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Different suggestion for Atlas!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 08:19:11 AM »
I'm with you!  One of the cool NJ transit electrics would be fantastic.

Cory, Paul?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 09:37:28 AM »

Cory, Paul?

Yes it would look great but I would prefer an Amtrak unit which could travel the country so that everyone could see it not just we Northeast types.

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 09:50:44 AM »
Yes it would look great but I would prefer an Amtrak unit which could travel the country so that everyone could see it not just we Northeast types.

What are these "Amtrak trains" of which you speak that everyone sees? ;)

-Mark

LV LOU

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 10:15:15 AM »
Yeah,unlike those stupid NS Heritage units..I don't think one of them has been within 400 miles of home rails..

ljudice

• Crew
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
Yeah,unlike those stupid NS Heritage units..I don't think one of them has been within 400 miles of home rails..

Maybe I'm just incredibly unlucky with trainwatching, but I have yet to catch one of them here in NJ on the Lehigh Line.  My wife thinks she saw one in Harrisburg, but other than that - nothing. 

I think it's because they are in coal train cycles and because there is a pool of locos that shuttle between Harrisburg and North Jersey that they are just not part of...

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +209
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 10:32:26 AM »
Oh, just wait until 2024...

LV LOU

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 11:12:33 AM »
Maybe I'm just incredibly unlucky with trainwatching, but I have yet to catch one of them here in NJ on the Lehigh Line.  My wife thinks she saw one in Harrisburg, but other than that - nothing. 

I think it's because they are in coal train cycles and because there is a pool of locos that shuttle between Harrisburg and North Jersey that they are just not part of...
Lou,my friend sent me a spotters map of where they've been seen.The closest ANY of them has been to me is Altoona,since they were made there.I think one or two got into Harrisburg/Enola,one in NY,and it wasn't even from the Conrail predesesors.I think one made it into mid/southern NJ through Allentown,think it might have been the PRR.Almost all of them are in Ohio,or further west,and way down south..I live right on the old LV main,not ONE has been here..I'll see if I can find that link..

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 11:15:39 AM »
There have been a number of visits into Camden so they do come east but I think Lou is right, they're primarily in coal service,

Phil
- Phil

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +744
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 11:18:42 AM »
How about a contest . Atlas has decal sheets made up to be sold by them only . Then the modeler gets to stick them on whatever . To submit a photo for Atlas to pick a winner , it must be on an Atlas car or loco . Added other decals are allowed .

Herald decal sheets will have the herald in 5 sizes to cover all scales . 10 bucks per sheet
Name decal sheets will have 5 sizes and in white , red , and black . 10 bucks per sheet

The winner or winners gets nothing or whatever Atlas chooses .

This way Atlas needs not take too much time from other projects .
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 11:20:36 AM by up1950s »

LV LOU

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 11:20:25 AM »
There have been a number of visits into Camden so they do come east but I think Lou is right, they're primarily in coal service,

Phil
I see one or two made it into Philadelphia,so,Camden is right there,but for the mose part,the people who get to actually see them probably don't even know what they are.As far as I know,the LV unit is in INDIANA!!! Why even bother doing them?Here's a link to the map..
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208462167518757450155.0004c209f8844b2c08a08&msa=0&ll=37.439974,-81.518555&spn=20.40104,28.256836

sdodge

• Crew
  • Respect: -1
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 11:30:23 AM »
NS has an iPhone app that tracks sightings for each unit on a map and you can also report a sighting. The Conrail unit made it to Houston. 

ljudice

• Crew
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 11:46:15 AM »
Hmmmm....  Wabash was at Croxton yesterday....   Better turn the scanner on here!

Cory Rothlisberger

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 11:47:47 AM »

Cory, Paul?

Seriously guys? Have you seen how clean Transit keeps their fleet?  :o You wouldn't be able to see our logo after two months...

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 11:51:33 AM »
Seriously guys? Have you seen how clean Transit keeps their fleet?  :o You wouldn't be able to see our logo after two months...

Hey, thy will leave them in a low water area and after the next flood the will be clean again.