Author Topic: Great Gaggle of Gooderham Goodies  (Read 3702 times)

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +236
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Great Gaggle of Gooderham Goodies
« on: February 05, 2013, 02:44:03 PM »
My box from Central Hobbies in Vancouver arrived today and it was stuffed with new and exciting CPR goodies.... Geoff Gooderham has been busy casting new head end (and other) CPR delights....

Here we have a HW baggage express car (left) and a CPR wooden express reefer - equipped for passsenger service. Both castings are better than previous efforts, very little clean up and almost no bubbles or marks. The new baggage express is made like the "Cape" solarium, to accept the new offset bolster MT HW trucks that make body mounting couplers easy.

I have two of each of these getting ready for painting. I also picked up his "A: series HW dining car, another 2200 series coach and another ex silk car baggage express....

... and then there's the Jeff Briggs stuff in the box, but that's for another day....  :trollface:

It's a good, albeit bloody cold day to be a CPR passenger fan !  :D
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +824
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Great Gaggle of Gooderham Goodies
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 09:35:46 PM »
I believe that Central now has the Gooderham slab side hoppers also.

I would have thought that you would have tackled some Briggs Miniboxes by now . . .

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 09:52:35 PM »
Slab side hoppers are, indeed available and I have placed my order... I have not dived in on the mini boxes by Jeff Briggs simply due to fund allocations. I did pick up Jeff's 40 and 45 ft flat decks and his speeders. The True Line mini's are on the horizon and they look pretty good (albeit Jeff has the lumber doors so I might have to get one or two)

It's a good time to be a Hoser N Scaler.... It would help to be rich Hoser N Scaler....
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 12:56:27 AM »
Do you, perchance, have a part number on that beautiful baggage express car ?

I would love to try to match you skills at finishing one - although I already know I am not worthy.

eja
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 12:58:20 AM by eja »

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +530
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 01:16:35 AM »
Slab side hoppers are, indeed available and I have placed my order...

I don''t see them on the web site yet.  Could you share the price?

Jason

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 07:22:07 AM »
Central Hobbies isn't known for keeping their website either up to date nor complex... the baggage express isn't even on the site yet it is cleverely called "HW CPR Baggage Express" by those in the know..... ;)

I ordered six of the slab sides without knowing the price and I'm not sure they've even finalized it; Geoff said it was going to be a more expensive model than he's originally thought so I'm guessing between 35-40...I'll let ya know when  get my bill !  :D

I'm sure the SPF's out there can identify with a case of "I've waited for 20 years for this model so unless I'm morgaging children for it, the price is secondary" disease.... :D

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +824
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 10:26:01 AM »
I ordered six of the slab sides without knowing the price and I'm not sure they've even finalized it; Geoff said it was going to be a more expensive model than he's originally thought so I'm guessing between 35-40...I'll let ya know when  get my bill ! 

According to Geoff they will be about $37.00 - $38.00.  It should be mentioned that several moulds were required to create this model, including a solid core, end platforms, end ladder assemblies, sides, roof, and discharge gates.  He then assembles the parts so the result is a model requiring only detail parts, trucks and couplers.  Definitely an expensive car, but hopefully this might explain why.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

lock4244

• Crew
  • Ontario - tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax
  • Respect: +60
    • My train pics
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 10:55:11 AM »
I've six  slabs on order, but have not heard back from them asking for CC info, so I suppose they're not in just yet?
Welcome to Ontario... we've got a tax for that.
My train pics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
More here:
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 11:46:36 AM »
Hal at Central said they have them but are waiting for jewel cases to pack and ship..... When they are ready he will e-mail me.

Can't wait............  :lol:

lock4244

• Crew
    • My train pics
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 12:02:02 PM »
Not to get too ahead of things, but to me, this is the next dream CDN hopper. Pretty sure they're extinct now, but they were fairly common back in the day. Shot one a few years ago on the Havelock Sub, and a few weeks later it traced to Selkirk, MB., and then was an invalid number. I wonder what happened to it in Selkirk  :ashat:

http://freight.railfan.ca/cgi-bin/image.pl?i=cp384356&o=cprail
My train pics:
More here:

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +422
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 12:05:27 PM »
Does anyone have in service picks of these slab side hoppers and new dates?

Are the kits supplied with decals?  If so, for what Railroad or are you given a choice at time of order?  If not, are there suitable decals on the market?
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 01:12:31 PM »
Does anyone have in service picks of these slab side hoppers and new dates?

Are the kits supplied with decals?  If so, for what Railroad or are you given a choice at time of order?  If not, are there suitable decals on the market?

There are no decals supplied by there are a few CDS sets that are made specifically for the slab sides. As for service dates, 50's into the 90's.... There two availbale kits are an 8 hatch and 6 hatch; both used by CP, CN, the 8 hatch was used by the TH&B, the PGE I think had 8 hatch but I'm not sure... both CN and CP had atleast three liveries for these and most likely more....

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 01:13:22 PM »
Battle has been joined with the HW baggage car - cleaned, filled and primed.... Boooo Hahahahaha ! - I'm lovin this !

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 01:16:08 PM »
Not to get too ahead of things, but to me, this is the next dream CDN hopper. Pretty sure they're extinct now, but they were fairly common back in the day. Shot one a few years ago on the Havelock Sub, and a few weeks later it traced to Selkirk, MB., and then was an invalid number. I wonder what happened to it in Selkirk  :ashat:

http://freight.railfan.ca/cgi-bin/image.pl?i=cp384356&o=cprail

Alas; we must live with the stand in's....but I agree.....

lock4244

• Crew
    • My train pics
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 01:41:40 PM »
Bryan, few shots at this gigantic link:

http://freight.railfan.ca/cgi-bin/search.pl?photographer=all&photo_date=all&car_owner=all&car_type=covhop&builder=all&marks=&build_date=&keywords=slab&searchtype=and&display=full

Cars were in service from the 50's and 60's into the eighties at least. They were outclassed by the larger cylindrical cars that started to appear in , but were perfect for denser commodities like cement.
My train pics:
More here: