Author Topic: Weekend Update 1/13/13  (Read 7985 times)

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +470
Re: Weekend Update 1/13/13
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 09:02:26 PM »

Layout is freelanced, but when I started it I was gonna run Ma&Pa equipment on it.

Interesting tenders on the Ma&Pa locomotives.  :trollface:
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +477
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 09:39:15 PM »
Before and after

Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

NARmike

• Crew
  • "From the Land of the Mighty Peace"
  • Respect: 0
    • N Scale NAR
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 09:55:17 PM »
I raided the wife's art supplies again to find some goodies  :D

and found this...

and this...

so I decided to try my hand at making some insulators.

This is what I ended up with. They scale out to 3".

I'm not sure which colour I like; Clear, blue/green, green and blue on the end... What do you  :ashat: 's think?

Mike

Mike Maisonneuve
Modeling the Northern Alberta Railway's Peace River subdivision in N scale
http://nscalenar.blogspot.ca/

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +237
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 10:16:21 PM »
I am sooooo glad the Black Hawks are soon back playing because Denton obviously has way, way too much time on his hands........way nice Bill !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +470
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2013, 10:27:17 PM »

I'm not sure which colour I like; Clear, blue/green, green and blue on the end... What do you  :ashat: 's think?

Mike

From the outside, #'s 1&2 IMO. 
I think they need to be a little taller though.  Most of the insulators I have had have been closer to 5".
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

SD452XR

• Crew
  • What Would Ted Sheckler Do?
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2013, 11:55:23 AM »

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2013, 12:26:01 PM »

This is what I ended up with. They scale out to 3".

Mike

Hey Mike, why not just snap off some insulators from an Atlas telephone pole, paint'em and stick'em on?  I've painted them in gloss medium to give them added "girth" and the clear/shiny look.

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Respect: +558
    • THE IMPOSSIBLE RAILROAD
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2013, 12:49:26 PM »
Craft stores and Wally World have real small beads, already colored, white, green etc.
http://www.lulusoso.com/upload/20110730/Craft_Supplies_beads_for_Hobby_Lobby.jpg
Chuck Geiger
Page, AZ
provencountrypd@gmail.com

Jeff AKA St0rm

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2013, 01:54:54 PM »
Well I had time this week to do a little painting. I found Pictures of CP 6028 a few years ago and for anyone that hasn’t see 6028 here is the proto picture.

I always like to paint odd locos and this one is odd. I have looked at this loco for years trying to figure out how or why the flags are the way they are. I have looked at other locos that wear the 2 flag scheme and I can’t find anything that would make me believe that any of the doors are from other locos. So that makes me think that this loco was painted this way as a joke by the paint shop. If anyone has any info as to why it is this way please let me know.

The other loco that I painted is 5961. Just a plain old beaver.

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Partying like it's still 1944
  • Respect: +193
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2013, 01:58:02 PM »
For my Swiss HO metric gauge railroad, I finished the prototype for the station departure signal. It is cut out of around 30 pieces of lazerboard. Unfortunately I glued the 3 color signal face up-side-down but it works.

Beautiful signal. It is also good to see some other European modelling.
I'm still awaiting my Dapol N scale GWR Home Signal. It's an operating semaphore (with a working signal lamp to light the lenses) that has its actuating parts in the below-benchwork mounting "bolt". It runs off of constant 12v and part of its operating mech is cut-off switches to cut the power.

I like the look, and the amazing craftsmanship, of your signal. Hope to see more great stuff in the future!

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher - Modeler of the PRR, PRSL, GWR, SZD, and DRG

WWII Clerk/Administration Historian

Switchboard Technician - 33rd Signal Construction Battalion (reenacted)

Squadron Clerk - Capital Wing, Airmans Preservation Society

davidgray1974

• Crew
  • "...." - Luke Skywalker
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2013, 02:29:55 PM »
Got a little done this week.  Finished painting and adding chalk to the bottom portion of the mountain.  Also started on the hill on the right side of the layout.  Will start adding more rubber rock outcroppings and sculpt-a-mold later this week.   Here are some pictures of my progress so far. 

Before

After

Small hill before sculpt-a-mold

After

Also added a little more variey of grasses around the coal mine to add more contrast

Thanks for looking!

David
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 02:32:45 PM by davidgray1974 »

Modeling the L&N, well at least a few times a year.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +446
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2013, 02:40:17 PM »
Some very nice work this week.  David, that rock work and topography is coming together and is quite convincing- no small feat given how much relief and the small footprint of the layout.  Excellent.

I like the double flag logo- maybe it increases the Canadian "content"- the government here is big into that sort of thing, LOL.

For me, I have been working on the CN Cisco bridge in the Fraser Canyon of British Columbia.  I am planning to rebuild my layout to this theme, but decided that I had better build the bridge first!  I have not built anything like this before, so it is all new for me.

After considering building it out of brass, I decided to go with styrene to make use of some available components from bridge kits by Central Valley and Micro Engineering.  I made good progress until I ran out of key parts, but it seems to be shaping up reasonably well.  Here are the bents and arch beams so far, all scaled at 80% of the full scale size.  The result will be a bridge about 25" long and 6.5" high.  The way the bridge is secured to the canyon walls will result in a track to river distance of about 12.5".  The plans are from Mainline Modeller.

Incidentally, this is my official first photo from my new Canon EOS 4Ti camera- very nice and it does video!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Your choice for ANAL...
  • Respect: +2063
    • DKS Home
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2013, 02:49:45 PM »
More progress on Lewistown station. Just the platform and canopies left.

"Life's a piece of sh!t when you look at it."
                                       —Monty Python

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2013, 03:09:33 PM »
Before and after

Doesn't this mean we should be seeing an announcement from FVM very soon!!!!!  Cool model!!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Skeebo

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2013, 03:37:06 PM »
Two projects going on this week. The first is, I finished casting and assembling the last of the 100 SP G100 ore gondolas I need to make the Kaiser ore drag. I've wanted to model this train since the early eighties. Next week I'll begin painting them.

The second project, this one I completed, was the installation of Richmond Control frog-eye kits into Five more Athern SP Bay Window, and two Centralia Car Shops ATSF cabeese. Yes the kit is intended for SP, but they work wonderfully on the ATSF units. Next I'll install a few into the cupola faces of some UP CA7's.