Author Topic: January Micro Train releases have been...released...?  (Read 7749 times)

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
January Micro Train releases have been...released...?
« on: January 03, 2013, 03:35:40 PM »
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 08:42:17 PM by tom mann »
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: January Micro Train releases have been...released...?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 03:58:51 PM »
I was planning on doing the DECKER reefer (with the roof lettering) someday and again MT beat me to the finish line.  That must be the first time any  company ever produced a model of a reefer with lettering on the roof.  I like it!
. . . 42 . . .

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4135
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 04:22:59 PM »
You beat me to it on the ACF cars.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1233
    • Modutrak
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 04:28:42 PM »
I was planning on doing the DECKER reefer (with the roof lettering) someday and again MT beat me to the finish line.  That must be the first time any  company ever produced a model of a reefer with lettering on the roof.  I like it!

Athearn, announced March 2005: 

(Not MTL bashing, just feel obligated to fact check)

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 04:45:29 PM »
The Autorack "STEEL" Runner Pack would be nice.  But a bit too rich for my wallet after Xmas.  Hopefully they stick around a bit and I can catch a set later.
-Mark

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 04:48:01 PM »
Thanks Mike.  Even if that model was produced back then, I find the appearance of MT wood reefer models much nicer than either Athearn or Atlas.  To me, those other models are much cruder looking.    There are bunch of paint schemes offered by Atlas and Athearn which I would like to have but I abstain from buying them until MT comes out with them or until I paint them myself.  Strictly personal choice, mind you.  Next to MT reefers, to me, the other brand reefers look toyish.
. . . 42 . . .

kbj99

• Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 04:51:36 PM »
The "STEEL" runner pack will not  be out until July, MT is taken orders on this until the end of the Month

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1118
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 04:56:35 PM »
I was not aware that MT makes steam locomotives, but there are two sets each with a different loco model.  The locos look pretty good.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 04:56:49 PM »
Thanks Mike.  Even if that model was produced back then, I find the appearance of MT wood reefer models much nicer than either Athearn or Atlas.  To me, those other models are much cruder looking.    There are bunch of paint schemes offered by Atlas and Athearn which I would like to have but I abstain from buying them until MT comes out with them or until I paint them myself.  Strictly personal choice, mind you.  Next to MT reefers, to me, the other brand reefers look toyish.

I thought we were discussing companies that first printed lettering on the roof of a reefer...  Not tooling standards?

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 04:57:54 PM »
I was not aware that MT makes steam locomotives, but there are two sets each with a different loco model.  The locos look pretty good.

While they produced an Nn3 steam engine a long time ago, the locomotives you're seeing this month are painted and lettered models manufactured by others. 

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1118
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 04:58:43 PM »
Oh, OK.  Thanks. 

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 05:00:03 PM »
The "STEEL" runner pack will not  be out until July, MT is taken orders on this until the end of the Month

:facepalm:

Really not sure what I was thinking there.

Off to place an order with Chuck.
-Mark

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 05:11:30 PM »
I thought we were discussing companies that first printed lettering on the roof of a reefer...  Not tooling standards?

I was merely explaining the reason for my ignorance about the Athearn model. I probably saw it back when (and if) it was released but chose not to purchase it (and quickly forgot about it).
. . . 42 . . .

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 05:14:19 PM »

I don't disagree on the quality, it's just that MT has a lovely 36' steel underframe reefer that would have been so much more appropriate for an early scheme meat car.... Instead they used a forty footer. Was Decker unique among the meat packers to use longer cars? Or is it just a nice looking foobie?
Otto

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4135
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 05:16:15 PM »

The Atlas model is of an older prototype and actually is more prototypically accurate than the MTL wood reefers are.  The MDC/Athearn car is comparable to the 36' MTL model other than the stirrups and brakewheel not being as fine.  They also sit at the correct height, if I remember correctly.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net