0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
A PRR H10sa 2-8-0 would be a good locomotive to do what you want to do. Dave Vollmer did a very nice job on his H10sa and in NTRAK The N Scale Steam Locomotive Information Book 2007 Addendum he shows you how he made his. If you get the loco and parts off of EBAY you should be able to do it in your budget. Rich
I think what you really want is a Kato Mike with the GHQ L1 conversion.
Why don't you do a H10sa for local runs and mine turns and use the F3 for the reefer hotshot. An L1 would be a good all around engine the steam equal to a Diesel GP Jeep. I think the H10sa would be a easier and less expensive to do than the L1 GHQ conversion unless you can get a good deal on a Kato Mike the GHQ conversion kit and the Kato replacement traction driver sometime not that easy to get. Can you pin point the PRR area you are modeling? You said Eastern coal country in Pennsylvania to New Jersey that is a large area. Is this going to be Proto-Lance? or PRR prototype modeling? An M1 would be good for General freight and hotshot merchandise and reefer trains, but they ran for the most part on the Middle Division and the Northern Division in Pennsylvania. Rich
Cody, I thought you had the F3s already, that why I said to use them for the reefer train. If you are looking for one steamer an L1 or the M1 would do general freight and the reefer train. What Max recommended about doing the L1 conversion is a very good idea. And he is one of the masters at doing PRR steam locomotive, I love his work and is one of the reason I even thought of doing PRR steam in n scale. I saw on ebay the Kato mike going for $70.00, the traction driver for $10.00 if you can get them. Kato is out of stock on them and the GHQ L1 is $119.95 but they do run sale on them from time to time. I read that someone got a kit for around $50.00 on ebay. And if I remember right one Kato with the L1 conversion already done went for $200.00. Regarding the Con-Cor USRA Heavy Mountain that comes with DCC/Sound do you mean the Bachmann Heavy Mountain that comes with DCC? Rich