Author Topic: True Line newsprint cars  (Read 2932 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Wlal13again

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 785
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +47
True Line newsprint cars
« on: July 05, 2012, 07:17:03 PM »
0
OK, I`ve read whats on here and elsewhere on how high they ride..my question is has anyone come up with a tried and true good way to lower them?
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: True Line newsprint cars
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 07:38:33 PM »
0
I would just grind down the bolster and use BLMA 70T trucks, Don't forget to fix that door!
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

Wlal13again

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 785
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +47
Re: True Line newsprint cars
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 07:40:17 PM »
0
Thats what I thought Daniel..what about the couplers? body mount?
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

eja

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1527
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +279
Re: True Line newsprint cars
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 08:11:45 PM »
0
These guys should have 100T trucks...


daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: True Line newsprint cars
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 09:24:11 PM »
0
I'm pretty sure those are 70T trucks.
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

screeh

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 153
  • Respect: +12
Re: True Line newsprint cars
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 10:31:04 PM »
0
I recall someone else came up with a rather elegant solution: swap the underframe for one taken from any of the FMC boxcar variants made by MDC/Roundhouse (and now Athearn)

I've been meaning to try this for myself, so I'll muck around on the weekend and post some comparison shots.

ljudice

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3390
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +271
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: True Line newsprint cars
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 11:31:08 PM »
0
I think  the Atlas FGE boxcar frame also fits these and also FVM boxcars...  I have to try the MDC solution!!

Another lowering trick is to use the Atlas Evans gon underframe on Athearn/MDC gondolas....

- Lou
https://louisjudice.com - Photography and my Amazing AI Music Videos

GaryHinshaw

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6765
  • Respect: +2639

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: True Line newsprint cars
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 12:57:50 AM »
0
Yup, works perfectly with little fuss.  BLMA 100-ton truck frames mated with 33" wheelsets.  Remove the embossed ring around the bolster hole on the trucks.  Body-mount MTL #1015 couplers directly to the floor.  Done in 10 minutes or less.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


ljudice

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3390
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +271
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: True Line newsprint cars
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 08:41:24 AM »
0
Yup, works perfectly with little fuss.  BLMA 100-ton truck frames mated with 33" wheelsets.  Remove the embossed ring around the bolster hole on the trucks.  Body-mount MTL #1015 couplers directly to the floor.  Done in 10 minutes or less.

I need to try this on my one car, but honestly, my bigger issue is with FVM boxcars....

I played around with the underframe exchange and really couldn't find any solution that would not require a lot of cutting and fitting.  The one that swap that does work though is the one I mentioned with the MDC/Ath gons.

- Lou
https://louisjudice.com - Photography and my Amazing AI Music Videos

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: True Line newsprint cars
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 11:07:27 AM »
0
BLMA trucks don't lower the FVM cars enough?  They lower MTL cars appropriately, and the FVM cars are comparable in ride height to the MTL cars.  Then body-mounting the #2004 offset couplers should work.  I'd try that before slicing and dicing.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


Wlal13again

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 785
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +47
Re: True Line newsprint cars
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 11:21:23 PM »
0
OK, I followed Brians lead, ground down the bolsters on the under frame, took a pair of BLMA 100 ton trucks, filed off the ring on the top of the trucks, then added FVM 33 inch wheel sets..  Body mount 1015`s and what a major difference. Totally happy with the end result. Looks perfect next to Athearn 50 footer and my X58`s, now for another set of trucks so I can modify the second car I bought..thanks guys...
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

BCR 570

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2470
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +5015
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: True Line newsprint cars
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 11:55:07 PM »
0
Bryan:

Did you make any modifications to the TLT underframe?

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: True Line newsprint cars
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 12:10:42 AM »
0
Getting back to the trucks. Do the prototypes really run 100T trucks on 33" wheels?
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: True Line newsprint cars
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 12:20:13 AM »
0
Bryan:
Did you make any modifications to the TLT underframe?

Tim,

No.  I removed the embossed ring from the BLMA trucks, and that was sufficient as far as I could tell.  Since the TLT bolsters/screw were designed for MTL trucks, the BLMA bolster holes fit perfectly.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:27:04 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale