Author Topic: True Line newsprint cars  (Read 2930 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: True Line newsprint cars
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 12:24:04 AM »
0
Getting back to the trucks. Do the prototypes really run 100T trucks on 33" wheels?

Well, the GRL on these cars is 110 tons, so 70-ton trucks won't do.  And those are 33" wheels in the prototype photo up-thread.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


jsoflo

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 218
  • Respect: +23
Re: True Line newsprint cars
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 09:51:23 AM »
0
I recall someone else came up with a rather elegant solution: swap the underframe for one taken from any of the FMC boxcar variants made by MDC/Roundhouse (and now Athearn)

I've been meaning to try this for myself, so I'll muck around on the weekend and post some comparison shots.

That is what I did and it worked well:





my best,
Jan
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 09:53:58 AM by jsoflo »

screeh

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 153
  • Respect: +12
Re: True Line newsprint cars
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 09:07:43 AM »
0
I recall someone else came up with a rather elegant solution: swap the underframe for one taken from any of the FMC boxcar variants made by MDC/Roundhouse (and now Athearn)

I've been meaning to try this for myself, so I'll muck around on the weekend and post some comparison shots.

OK, so I've now tried the MDC swap and decided it wasn't worth repeating, let alone taking a picture: after filing the MDC underframe to fit and shaving the inside of the TLT body I ended up with a car at almost the same height as a stock TLT model. 

I think  the Atlas FGE boxcar frame also fits these and also FVM boxcars...  I have to try the MDC solution!!

I also looked at the Atlas FGE underframe, however it is significantly wider than the TLT frame and would need a fair bit of trimming to fit.

Now to get some BLMA trucks and body mount couplers so I can try Bryan's idea...

Wlal13again

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 785
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +47
Re: True Line newsprint cars
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 03:24:03 PM »
0
The think truck centers are a bit longer on the MDC frame too..I took the time to file one to fit and it just didn't look right..
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...