Author Topic: Product Announcement from Briggs Models  (Read 10599 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

BCR 570

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2470
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +5015
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Product Announcement from Briggs Models
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 10:12:28 AM »
0
Joe:

The model was designed to use #1015 couplers, but I did not have any on hand and was rushing to get the cars built and photographed for Jeff so I used some #1023s I had on hand.  Either will work fine, but the #1023s require that the centre sill outside of the bolsters be trimmed back slightly.  Having more than one coupler option is not a bad thing in my book.


Mike:

I have made Jeff aware of the other door variations for these cars.  There is also a plug door variant.  Having designed this model entirely in CAD, the generation and printing of a master for another variant would be fairly expeditious.  If this one sells well, other variants will be possible, although he has a cue of projects moving towards production and release at present.


Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: Product Announcement from Briggs Models
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 11:54:30 AM »
0
Its unfortunate that this car is strictly a BC prototype for all intents. These cars never made it anywhere near Boston. Since BC was still independent in 98, I'm Really only interested in CN prototypes, which do frequent the Boston line.

I really hope these are successful, especially for BC modelers. Having a manufacturer on your side is really is really encouraging (thanks ESMC, and your Conrail dedication). I hope Briggs keeps coming out with more kits like this.
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Product Announcement from Briggs Models
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 02:42:18 PM »
0
Very nice car. I am looking forward to getting a few of these.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: Product Announcement from Briggs Models
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 11:27:16 PM »
0
Its unfortunate that this car is strictly a BC prototype for all intents. These cars never made it anywhere near Boston. Since BC was still independent in 98, I'm Really only interested in CN prototypes, which do frequent the Boston line.

I really hope these are successful, especially for BC modelers. Having a manufacturer on your side is really is really encouraging (thanks ESMC, and your Conrail dedication). I hope Briggs keeps coming out with more kits like this.

Daniel, much of BCOL's traffic went out on CN and their cars were very common in eastern Canada. I imagine a good number of the cars I'd watch in 1998 pass eastbound through Toronto were headed for the NECR. Maybe not in quantity, but it is entirely likely the off one of these made it to Beantown.

Bsklarski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 673
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
Re: Product Announcement from Briggs Models
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 11:35:05 PM »
0
We still get them on the NECR. They usually are for online customers. At least 3 customers still get them.
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

cv_acr

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2684
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +139
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
Re: Product Announcement from Briggs Models
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 03:55:40 PM »
0
NSC built a lot of newsprint service boxcars to the same general exterior post design in the late 1970s through early 1980s, but this is the only double door car of this type. (well, ok, actually CP had a somewhat similar double plug door car) the bow tie styl roof is classic NSC.

cv_acr

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2684
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +139
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
Re: Product Announcement from Briggs Models
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 03:59:04 PM »
0
Have any of these been sold to secondary owners?

TYIA

No for the NAR cars, some BCIT cars were renumbered YARR somewhat recently.

http://canadianfreightcargallery.ca/cgi-bin/image.pl?i=yarr4737&o=yarr

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Product Announcement from Briggs Models
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 11:20:40 AM »
0
Did these cars ever make it to New England, or were they indigenous to western Canada only?
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Product Announcement from Briggs Models
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 11:57:49 AM »
0
Did these cars ever make it to New England, or were they indigenous to western Canada only?

They make it to New England regularly now, as pointed out by Brian on his NECR trains.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: Product Announcement from Briggs Models
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 12:08:52 PM »
0
Did these cars ever make it to New England, or were they indigenous to western Canada only?

I recall that in the late 1980's the NAR cars were very common in Toronto, or at least I remember seeing them all the time. Seeing as they were CN cars by 1981, they'd have been in the general pool and one must think it reasonable they'd wind up on the CV or GTNE lines.

BCR 570

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2470
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +5015
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Product Announcement from Briggs Models
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 08:15:39 PM »
0
To reiterate, the BCIT cars were leased for international lumber service and were routed all over North America.  I have seen pictures of them in numerous U.S. cities, and I have personally seen them in Seattle and San Diego.  In later years they were used for domestic shipments as well and were seen in eastern Canada.

I have been running the two cars I built up and down the helix and they are doing well.  Now to get them painted and get the decals sourced.


Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10593
  • Respect: +1771
Re: Product Announcement from Briggs Models
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 12:43:38 AM »
0
Both BCIT and BCOL cars were common on the Milwaukee Road in Washington state in  the 1970s.  We'd see a few in Pasco, on the BN, but the MILW seemed to have a bunch in nearly every train I saw on trips.  I wouldn't be surprised if one made it to Boston, but if they were primarily for newsprint, they'd likely be rare.  Wouldn't most Bostonians buy newsprint from the Northeast or eastern Canada?
N Kalanaga
Be well

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Product Announcement from Briggs Models
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2012, 01:24:02 AM »
0
Yes, from Maine predominantly.  So I'm curious if these cars did make it to New England circa 1980.  I know they have appeared in the late 1990s forward, which I surmise is when they no longer were restricted to carrying paper products.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


BCR 570

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2470
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +5015
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Product Announcement from Briggs Models
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2012, 08:41:08 AM »
0
My understanding is that these double door cars were used primarily for lumber.  The BCR also had plug door versions which were used for newsprint.

In the 1970s the BCR had a close relationship with the Milwaukee Road including a barge service from Squamish to somewhere on the Washington coast, and I have seen numerous photos of older cars with BCIT marks on Milwaukee trackage.


Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

BCR 570

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2470
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +5015
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Product Announcement from Briggs Models
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 12:30:10 PM »
0
I have been running the two cars I built for a week now and so far so good - the truck and coupler mounting arrangements are well thought out and perform well.  Each car is weighted with three 1/4 oz adhesive weights in lieu of the supplied nuts.




Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ