Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
Home
Help
Login
Register
TheRailwire
»
General Discussion
»
N and Z Scales
»
Athearn July Announcements
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
2
Go Down
Author
Topic: Athearn July Announcements (Read 3996 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
asarge
Crew
Posts: 1675
Respect:
+24
Athearn July Announcements
«
on:
July 19, 2011, 02:03:16 PM »
0
50' FMC Double Door
BCR
BN
NAR
WP
30k Ethanol Tank Car
ADMX
MCP
Zahori
Logged
up1950s
Crew
Posts: 9966
Gender:
Respect:
+2885
Re: Athearn July Announcements
«
Reply #1 on:
July 19, 2011, 02:06:58 PM »
0
I guess they went on vacation 'cause thems slim pickens .
Logged
Richie Dost
TiVoPrince
Crew
Posts: 5156
Respect:
+4
Re: Athearn July Announcements
«
Reply #2 on:
July 19, 2011, 08:32:15 PM »
0
Ethanol
tanks are mighty tempting...
Logged
Support fine modeling
Wlal13again
Crew
Posts: 785
Gender:
Respect:
+47
Re: Athearn July Announcements
«
Reply #3 on:
July 19, 2011, 10:12:19 PM »
0
Can always use some more double doors for the paper siding...
Logged
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...
lock4244
Crew
Posts: 4586
Respect:
+886
Re: Athearn July Announcements
«
Reply #4 on:
July 20, 2011, 02:08:04 PM »
0
Can't vouch for the accuracy, but hats off to Athearn for doing a NAR boxcar... I recall those in my era so I'll be in for a few. Maybe the BCOL's, too.
Logged
Now in Iowa
My train pics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
More here:
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244
Bremner
Crew
Posts: 450
Gender:
Respect:
+1
Re: Athearn July Announcements
«
Reply #5 on:
July 20, 2011, 03:32:02 PM »
0
even though the BC Rail is 1700 miles away from my prototype...I might get one, I love the old BC Rail. My first cab ride was in a Hudson there in the eaarly 80's while MLW built ALCO's were switching the yard
Logged
Ed Kapuscinski
Global Moderator
Crew
Posts: 26112
Head Kino
Respect:
+11612
Re: Athearn July Announcements
«
Reply #6 on:
July 20, 2011, 03:42:12 PM »
0
Actually, a few of those are appealing to me.
For example, I realized I probably have way too few BN boxcars.
What is NAR?
Logged
Visit:
Conrail1285.com
&
Railfanning.Kapuscinski.net
Join:
TheCRHS.org
conrail98
Crew
Posts: 1462
Gender:
Respect:
+44
Re: Athearn July Announcements
«
Reply #7 on:
July 20, 2011, 03:45:10 PM »
0
Quote from: Ed Kapuscinski on July 20, 2011, 03:42:12 PM
What is NAR?
According to what I found, it is for Canadian National Railway Northern Alberta Railways. I'm sure our Canadian brethren can fill in the details on this one,
Phil
Logged
- Phil
Bremner
Crew
Posts: 450
Gender:
Respect:
+1
Re: Athearn July Announcements
«
Reply #8 on:
July 20, 2011, 03:59:15 PM »
0
anyone have a link?
Logged
unittrain
Crew
Posts: 1492
Respect:
+148
Re: Athearn July Announcements
«
Reply #9 on:
July 20, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
0
I'm definatley in for a few of these the BN and BCOL and WP, us late 70's modelers can always use these boxcars I'm getting 2 of the double door Southern's that are coming out in November also. Along with a Chessie and EL bay window caboose. So overall not too bad with the Athearn releases they have some good stuff.
Logged
Bendtracker1
Crew
Posts: 1546
Remember The Rock!
Respect:
+1647
Re: Athearn July Announcements
«
Reply #10 on:
July 20, 2011, 04:24:31 PM »
0
Quote from: Ed Kapuscinski on July 20, 2011, 03:42:12 PM
What is NAR?
NAR
http://railways.library.ualberta.ca/Chapters-11-1/
Logged
Allen...
The Little Rock Line
David Leonard
Guest
Re: Athearn July Announcements
«
Reply #11 on:
July 20, 2011, 04:35:02 PM »
0
Before full takeover by CN the NAR had its own identity, locomotive paint scheme, etc. Here's one photo:
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-n/nar404ads.jpg
Logged
lock4244
Crew
Posts: 4586
Respect:
+886
Re: Athearn July Announcements
«
Reply #12 on:
July 20, 2011, 06:30:34 PM »
0
Northern Alberta Railway was an independently operated railway operating trackage north of Edmonton that was jointly owned by CN and CP until CP sold to CN in ~1980. Diesel fleet was GMD1's, GP9's, and later a quartet of SD38-2's (some of the few of that model ever operated/built in Canada). The NAR diesel paint scheme, as evidenced in the link provided by Mr Leonard, was very attractive. One I'd likely steal if I were modeling a freelanced road.
Must have been an exiled NH guy working the NAR given the odd numbering of their 50' boxcars... not many roads used numbers beginning with a zero.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/albertarailwaymuseum/1556808862/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/albertarailwaymuseum/1556809072
http://www.flickr.com/photos/albertarailwaymuseum/1555936319
http://www.flickr.com/photos/albertarailwaymuseum/1556813826
http://www.flickr.com/photos/albertarailwaymuseum/1555939409
http://www.flickr.com/photos/albertarailwaymuseum/1556807400
http://www.flickr.com/photos/albertarailwaymuseum/1555932383
Map:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/albertarailwaymuseum/1555939207
«
Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 06:37:38 PM by lock4244
»
Logged
Now in Iowa
My train pics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
More here:
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244
GaryHinshaw
Global Moderator
Crew
Posts: 6765
Respect:
+2639
Re: Athearn July Announcements
«
Reply #13 on:
July 21, 2011, 01:21:11 AM »
0
The only prototype NAR boxcar I could find pictures of in the archives are made by National Steel Car Co. in Canada:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1425033
The Athearn model will be a decent stand-in, except for the end detail, the roof type, and the offset double doors.
(Mind you, I'm not complaining, just observing.)
I'm glad to see more ethanol tankers. I don't recall seeing any of those schemes on a 30 K tank car. The first two, especially, seem more like corn syrup schemes; but I could easily be wrong.
I'd love to see more Auto-Max's run again some day.
-Gary
Logged
lock4244
Crew
Posts: 4586
Respect:
+886
Re: Athearn July Announcements
«
Reply #14 on:
July 21, 2011, 02:05:40 AM »
0
Quite a few here:
http://freight.railfan.ca/cgi-bin/image.pl?i=nar050116&o=nar
Logged
Now in Iowa
My train pics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
More here:
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244
Print
Pages: [
1
]
2
Go Up
« previous
next »
TheRailwire
»
General Discussion
»
N and Z Scales
»
Athearn July Announcements