Author Topic: Athearn July Announcements  (Read 3997 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

GaryHinshaw

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6765
  • Respect: +2639
Re: Athearn July Announcements
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 02:40:34 AM »
0
Yes.  There are lots of shots of these NAR/NSC cars on RailCarPhotos and RRPictureArchives too.  What I meant to say, but probably garbled, was that they are all the same body style.  (They all seem to be weathered just about the same too...)

Cheers,
Gary

James Costello

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1956
  • Respect: +535
Re: Athearn July Announcements
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 03:53:36 AM »
0
I'm glad to see more ethanol tankers.  I don't recall seeing any of those schemes on a 30 K tank car. The first two, especially, seem more like corn syrup schemes; but I could easily be wrong.

Agreed, I think they *might* be stand-ins. The new dates are 88 for the ADM and 95 for the MCP but the spreadsheet data for both is 2002.... just makes me suspicious, but I haven't done any homework. I'd be happy for they are stand-ins, they fit my era.... but don't think they're ethanol cars.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

asarge

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1675
  • Respect: +24
Re: Athearn July Announcements
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 08:41:27 AM »
0
I beleive the ADM's are stand-ins for another tank car, not necessarily ethanol. I don't know that the molecule logo ever showed up on the Ethanol Tanks.

I'm not anywhere near 100% certain but I think the MCP's might be accurate.

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: Athearn July Announcements
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 05:36:35 PM »
0
I am pretty sure that ADM had some 28k gallon cars that may be pretty close in size to the ethonol cars in question. Too bad thay have the spreadsheet on them, I would have picked them up if they didn't.
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

GaryHinshaw

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6765
  • Respect: +2639
Re: Athearn July Announcements
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 08:14:27 PM »
0
It turns out that ADM (ADMX) and MCP (DMIX) both have quite a few 30K tankers, e.g:

http://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=53249
http://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=33798

(alas you now need an account to view RailCarPhotos...).  The Athearn model is pretty close;  I'm tempted.

-gfh

asarge

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1675
  • Respect: +24
Re: Athearn July Announcements
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 08:00:36 AM »
0
They both do Gary, I'm just wondering if ADM ever had the molecule logo on the UTLX 30k Ethanol Tank car. It might be a stand in for the ACF or another 30k car. Doesn;t matter much as it will sell very well. This Athearn car is one of their best sellers.