Author Topic: Atlas getting a little grumpy?  (Read 7362 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

atsf_arizona

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 764
  • Respect: +177
    • My PBase Photo album where my Model RR pictures are
Re: Atlas getting a little grumpy?
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 10:56:55 AM »
0
Hi, all,

Please give Atlas a pleasant break and understanding here, they haven't done anything wrong.   Pls accept, all, my apologies.

Atlas is a generous host of a superb model railroad forum, have been so for a decade now, and provide for all that for our benefit, with wisdom, out of their own pocket.   

Over on the Atlas N forum, I didn't read the entire Bachmann 2-10-2 thread first (I should have - that's a good
lesson learned for me).   I thus inadvertently but definitely broke their forum rules (which exist for all of our benefit)
and the clear request of their moderator earlier in the thread to not post the Bachmann brochure link.   That's understandable, and I should also have known and agree with why such links aren't proper to the hosts of the
Atlas forum. 

I thus inadvertently but definitely placed Atlas in the situation, through no fault of theirs, that their moderator
had to take the action they'd requested they didn't want to do.   That's my fault and my mistake.

What I am most sorry about in this situation that I caused an unnecessary and incorrect mis-perception of Atlas.

In my opinion, the Atlas Forums and the Atlas people represent the best kind of people, in our hobby or otherwise.
Their generosity in hosting the forums out of their pocket, customer service, and attention to detail - we all know   
how much we as model railroaders benefit.   In the course of human events, people make mistakes. What's more important is how we all respond.  In this case, I think the long term support, generosity, fairness of Atlas speaks for itself.

Let's all take this inadvertent mis-understanding and learn how each of us can be better forum citizens... and most of all,
appreciate Atlas for all that they have done and are continuing to do for us.   :-)

Sincerely,

John Sing
John Sing
Venice, FL
http://pbase.com/atsf_arizona
https://web.archive.org/web/20151002184727/home.comcast.net/~j.sing/
========
Modeling the Santa Fe's Peavine Line (Ash Fork -> Phoenix, Arizona) during the 50s and 60s

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Atlas getting a little grumpy?
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2011, 11:02:36 AM »
0
Hey, no fair. Paul Graf spoke for Atlas without clearly indicating he represented Atlas. Oh wait, wrong list, I'll take my jackboots off now.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9966
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2885
Re: Atlas getting a little grumpy?
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2011, 11:05:17 AM »
0
Good for you John , one of your strong suits has always been mental stability , seeing the light , and a positive outlook to the future . I wish I had those attributes .


Richie Dost

seusscaboose

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2100
  • Respect: +220
Re: Atlas getting a little grumpy?
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2011, 11:15:48 AM »
0
Good for you John , one of your strong suits has always been mental stability , seeing the light , and a positive outlook to the future . I wish I had those attributes .

+1
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26112
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11612
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Atlas getting a little grumpy?
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2011, 11:16:57 AM »
0
John, essentially, got caught saying "Shenanigans".

http://www.hulu.com/watch/17893/super-troopers-shenanigans


asarge

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1675
  • Respect: +24
Re: Atlas getting a little grumpy?
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2011, 11:20:31 AM »
0
Quote
He posted on the Atlas HO board about tablet control of engines and turnouts .
http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=66580

Do not expect him to be posting very often on the N scale side of the forum.

Mr. G

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 202
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: 0
Re: Atlas getting a little grumpy?
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2011, 12:17:19 PM »
0
I applaud Atlas for having the courage to follow through and not follow the apparently "Politically Correct" line of thinking that seems to be prevalent in the wake of all this.  Any attempts to link this with actions of Kader and what is or is not occurring in China is wishful thinking.   Atlas had a decision to make, either apply the rules accross the board or create a credibility issue.   They chose wisely.

I fail to see what this has to do with political correctness.

Quote from: TiVoPrince
Everything blends.  Just a general rule of model railroading...

delamaize

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2653
  • Gender: Male
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +1024
Re: Atlas getting a little grumpy?
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2011, 12:57:05 PM »
0
Could you do this?

http://tinyurl.com/5n4z4c
 :D

I think I will post every link on the A-boards like that from now on.

I understand that John broke a rule, but some consiteration must be taken of the content of the post, the intention of the poster, and the posters past on the board. In this case, a deleted link, and a PM to John would have been the better choice. Unlike everyone's creepy stalker Fran, if he did something like that overthere, then I could see a ban, because he was always breaking rules and being a pain. I personally feel who ever pulled the trigger over there and Banned John was probally a little butthurt about the whole situation. This should be a wakeup call to Atlas, you want us to talk about you, and not other manufactures on your board? bring out some new and exciting stuff, not keep us hanging with a promiced coil car, and flats that never seem to materialze. I understand they are having factory issues in China, But nothing says they have to stay with them for new, from the ground up, projects.
Mike
Skookumchuck Belt Line Founder

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Atlas getting a little grumpy?
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2011, 01:45:41 PM »
0
I think it's kinda creepy how posters are always recognizing Atlas as the benevolent host; it's kinda like being in a Iran, where no one speaks ill of the ruling government, all the time, very real Big Brother (not the stupid reality show). I mean, I'm all for beatifying John if you guys are up to it, but he's pretty humble and no one feels threatened enough to compel themselves into paying him homage regularly (of course, his pic's at the center of the Railwire alter I have at home). Hmmm, maybe they're all closet Greek polytheistics over there.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

NorsemanJack

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 320
  • Respect: +48
Re: Atlas getting a little grumpy?
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2011, 03:01:37 PM »
0
I often visit the subject forum, but rarely post.  I think having a "manufacturer hosted" forum is a bad idea from the start.  While most/all of us greatly appreciate the efforts of those who set up and run these forums, if it gets to the point where there is not an equal appreciation by the hosts of the participants, it's probably time to move on.....

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12282
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11772
Re: Atlas getting a little grumpy?
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2011, 03:45:26 PM »
0
Comparing Atlas to Iran is a bit of hyperbole that, although surely offered facetiously, does not hold up.  Whereas you are free to leave Atlas for greener pastures, Iranians are not.

Overall I am very happy here at the Railwire.  I am coming around to see the error of my past ways to understand that the Railwire is not made better by bashing other forums, save perhaps for the occasional humorous indirect dig... ;D

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Atlas getting a little grumpy?
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2011, 04:16:42 PM »
0
Comparing Atlas to Iran is a bit of hyperbole that, although surely offered facetiously, does not hold up.  Whereas you are free to leave Atlas for greener pastures, Iranians are not.

Um, considering hyperbole and facetiousness are both intentional exaggeration and neither intended for literal translation they were never meant to hold up. Perhaps I should have used Syria as an example? Or harkened back to some Kafka or Orwell? Or how about Jeunet and Caro's Delicatessen? Was it obviously enough a comedy? And Iranians are too free to leave; Iranians may even visit the US with consular sanction. Oh wait, now I'm being literal...
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

inkaneer

  • Guest
Re: Atlas getting a little grumpy?
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2011, 05:57:38 PM »
0
I fail to see what this has to do with political correctness.

Politically correct meaning to arbitrarily go along with the majority rather than to apply the rules evenly across the board.   A lot of people expressed their opinions that Atlas should have cut John some slack because of who he is and his considerable photographic contributions to these forums.   That would have been the politically correct thing to do.  Instead Atlas, after two warnings with the second one stating quite clearly that the next person who violated the rule would be suspended.   That next person happened to be John.   John and Paul Graf are personally acquainted as I know I have seen pictures of them together taken at various shows, conventions, etc. and posted by John on varous forums.    There were probably alot of groans at Atlas when they found out who the violator was but Atlas was true to their word and in todays world I find that not only refreshing but downright applaudable.  Bravo Atlas!

eric220

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3738
  • Gender: Male
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +648
    • The Modern PRR
Re: Atlas getting a little grumpy?
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2011, 06:06:27 PM »
0
Good for you John , one of your strong suits has always been mental stability , seeing the light , and a positive outlook to the future . I wish I had those attributes .

+2
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

u18b

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4055
  • Respect: +2386
    • My website
Re: Atlas getting a little grumpy?
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2011, 06:16:14 PM »
0
I have personally known Paul Graf for almost 25 years and consider him a friend--

but if he had said the next one that posts a link.... and I had posted a link...

I would have expected to receive a suspension.

If I had been suspended..... Human nature is such that some people (maybe a few) would be disappointed-- while If I had not been suspended, others would be saying---- Wait! Wait!  You said-- You said!  Hey, you didn't do what you said you would do.  It can be a no win situation for Paul when the moderator makes an ultimatum like that trying to get the rule enforced.

However, I can say,  I would have expected Paul to apply the rules to me.  I'm sure I would have had a --- Awwww- Dang!  moment.  But I also would like to think that I would respond as John.

Thanks John for leading the way.


Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.