Author Topic: New Atlas 89' flat?  (Read 6073 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
New Atlas 89' flat?
« on: July 08, 2011, 02:16:50 PM »
0


http://www.atlasrr.com/News/nmra2011.htm

Is Atlas just duplicating yet another MTL car or is this a different prototype?

Jason


asarge

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1675
  • Respect: +24
Re: New Atlas 89' flat?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 02:24:04 PM »
0
I think it's the same as their HO 89' flat. Now if that is the same as the MTL version?

Was expecting another preview from Atlas there.

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: New Atlas 89' flat?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 05:50:01 PM »
0
Is this Trainman? (as in, I'll be able to afford to buy more than one in my life time?) or will it stretch the limits of imagination pricewise (and therefore hopefully detail/quality/reliability wise?)

I like that there's some competition coming for the MT cars.  I just wrote a bunch of TOFC waybills!
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: New Atlas 89' flat?
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 05:59:32 PM »
0
Curious... if it is the same as the HO version, I'm safe since it's past my time-frame. Unless it can be easily backdated...

What we need now is an early channel-side model.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

asarge

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1675
  • Respect: +24
Re: New Atlas 89' flat?
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 06:18:33 PM »
0
Unfortunately it won;t be TM Lee.

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: New Atlas 89' flat?
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 09:59:49 PM »
0
Curious... if it is the same as the HO version, I'm safe since it's past my time-frame. Unless it can be easily backdated...

What we need now is an early channel-side model.

You're safe.  It's the same model as the HO version (which is nicely done).

You'll need the Trainworx cars.  They looked exquisite in Hershey.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: New Atlas 89' flat?
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 10:47:05 PM »
0
You're safe.  It's the same model as the HO version (which is nicely done).

You'll need the Trainworx cars.  They looked exquisite in Hershey.

Can I hope ESM will be getting into the long-flat envy contest and releasing a channel-side car sometime soon?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: New Atlas 89' flat?
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 11:55:53 PM »
0
I think that now with four viable TOFC options I'll probably sit that category out for the time being.  You'll be pleased with the Trainworx car until a channel-side model comes along.  Although I was considering the NE caboose I'm glad to see Bachmann move forward with a credible model.  I should look to the southeast to see if there is a viable prototype other than the Southern waffle boxcar, but I'll probably instead look overall for a bodystyle I haven't tapped yet.  The NAHX PD3000, another prototype on your wish list, would be on my short list for certain.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:57:56 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: New Atlas 89' flat?
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 12:03:38 AM »
0
Can I hope ESM will be getting into the long-flat envy contest and releasing a channel-side car sometime soon?

With the MTL/Atlas car, BMLA's and Trainworx , I think the biggest hole in late 60's/early 70's intermodal flats is an 89' lo-deck car with a couple different tri-level autoracks.


Jason

asarge

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1675
  • Respect: +24
Re: New Atlas 89' flat?
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 02:06:26 AM »
0
Now if we could just get the SD40-2 mass produced...............

James Costello

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1956
  • Respect: +535
Re: New Atlas 89' flat?
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 02:49:23 AM »
0
The Atlas HO, the MTL model and one of the Traincat kits are all ACF prototypes, although there could be phase differences between them.

Probably safe to assume the Atlas N model will be the same as the HO.

Here's probably the best pubished prototype article - the March 1992 RMJ:
http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/91/6500/march-1992-page-6

Hard to believe we've waited almost 20 years for another RTR 89' flat... let alone one set up for Twin 45 or Triple 28' service. The Atlas model should be good motivation for me to get my TTWX conversions done before their model gets released. Hope we get the configuration and hitch varieties that the HO guys got too....

Now all we have to do is get that Athearn F89-F into N or convince Joe it's time to add another deck to their existing underframe.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

asarge

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1675
  • Respect: +24
Re: New Atlas 89' flat?
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 08:52:19 AM »
0
Quote
Now all we have to do is get that Athearn F89-F into N or convince Joe it's time to add another deck to their existing underframe.

The chances of the latter happening are MUCHO better. You might win the lottery before you see the former done. You might get struck by lightning before you see new tooling from Athearn anytime in the near future.

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: New Atlas 89' flat?
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 10:23:27 AM »
0
I think that now with four viable TOFC options I'll probably sit that category out for the time being.  You'll be pleased with the Trainworx car until a channel-side model comes along.  Although I was considering the NE caboose I'm glad to see Bachmann move forward with a credible model.  I should look to the southeast to see if there is a viable prototype other than the Southern waffle boxcar, but I'll probably instead look overall for a bodystyle I haven't tapped yet.  The NAHX PD3000, another prototype on your wish list, would be on my short list for certain.

Look north, Brian. How about an 81' CP COFC flat? An early 1970's to the present car (though they're pretty much gone now). They didn't really stray off CP until the 1990's, but made it to Chicago daily on the SOO. I recall seeing them in Buffalo and Horseshoe curve on CR in the 90's and even saw a few on Tehachapi in 2006.

jimmygolds

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 25
  • Respect: 0
Re: New Atlas 89' flat?
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 03:27:42 PM »
0
Now if we could just get the SD40-2 mass produced...............
I AGREE!!!!!

GonzoCRFan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4309
  • Respect: +120
Re: New Atlas 89' flat?
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 11:44:50 PM »
0
Nice to see we're finally getting good coverage of the 89' flatcars. From thinking about how these cars facilitated the early intermodal revolution and enabled the railroads to get finished automobile traffic back from trucks, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a car that was more pivotal in allowing railroads to gain traffic while passenger and carload business was on the decline.
Sean