Author Topic: Prototype N Scale Models announces FVM Wagontop ltd run 3pk, August delivery  (Read 4212 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
Just received this email from George Hollwedel of Prototype N Scale Models.  These cars were unofficially announced in Hershey, and this is the official announcement.  This 3-pack will be arriving next month and consist of the 1950s schemes that FVM is not offering in its premiere release.  I believe the set will not be shrink-wrapped, but I do not know for certain.

I am very excited to announce my first project with Fox Valley Models.  We are doing a B&O Wagontop Boxcar three-pack.  There will be three distinct cars in the pack.  The same cars are also being done in HO by Spring Mills Depot.  The link below shows the details of the cars.  The “Circle T” was the early designation for cars in the B&O Timesaver Service, before they went to the special paint scheme.

http://smd.cc/MattM53/matt.htm

This three-pack should be available in August.  The pack will sell for $59.95, plus $6.00 shipping/handling.  There will only be 50 sets produced so do not delay in ordering if you are interested.

Thanks!

George

Prototype N Scale Models (TM)
by George Hollwedel
PO Box 143566
Austin, TX 78714-3566
proto.nscale@yahoo.com

http://www.micro-trains.com/sr-1106-hollwedel.php
http://intermountain-railway.com/n/sr/html/GHollWPN.htm
http://www.micro-trains.com/hollwedel.php
http://www.atlasrr.com/special.htm
http://intermountain-railway.com/n/sr/nsr.htm

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:51:04 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
I'll tell you what...  This is just another example of the great things going on in N scale right now.  The movement toward prototype accuracy takes one more step here, and it's thanks to the smaller manufacturers and interest groups.

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
I'll tell you what...  This is just another example of the great things going on in N scale right now.  The movement toward prototype accuracy takes one more step here, and it's thanks to the smaller manufacturers and interest groups.

Very true.

And soon you'll get the chorus of "boos" about it being a pre-order deal and having only 50 sets produced. 

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
I don't think you can say it's "pre-order" when the cars are just about ready to ship.  George usually holds his announcements until product is en route to him.  That holds true with his MTL and IRC made limited runs as well.  As for the quantities, 50 per road number is a good number for him.  Sometimes something will blow out, but most of the time everyone who wants one will get one.  He's very specific in that the model must be as prototypical as possible (and the overwhelming majority of his releases consists of ATSF and SP prototypes), so the audience his products appeals to is smaller.

But the nice thing is, if you're looking for a specific ATSF or SP prototype, it's a good bet he's done it.  Especially with the IRC products where it's possible to mix and match components to get an exact model desired.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:11:59 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Very true.

And soon you'll get the chorus of "boos" about it being a pre-order deal and having only 50 sets produced.

50 is probably a good number to keep the collectors value which is probably the widest appeal for this set.  Prototypically speaking, I don't think many people can use this.

Jason

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1239
    • Modutrak
50 is probably a good number to keep the collectors value which is probably the widest appeal for this set.  Prototypically speaking, I don't think many people can use this.

Jason

Eh?  George's stuff isn't really collector's market stuff, at least from what I've seen.  What's the prototype problem here?

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Eh?  George's stuff isn't really collector's market stuff, at least from what I've seen.  What's the prototype problem here?

From what I 'know'...which isn't much.

The two cars with the "Circle T" would be assigned to the Time Saver Freight which was a high speed dedicated LCL freight which operated between New York and Chicago and E. St Louis.  This was the B&O's way to offer a guaranteed two day delivery from New York to the mid-west.  If you go based on that, anyone modeling the Northeast, Southwest or anything west of the Mississippi River, could probably save their $$$ and pass.  Unless you model somewhere near the B&O main, a Time Saver car might be way down on the list of cars needed from a prototypical standpoint.

There's also a possible issue of the paint schemes.  I 'think' the "Time Saver" paint scheme wasn't too far behind the start of the service so this could be a real narrow window with just the circle 'T"s.

Any B&O guys here?

Jason

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
One detail that intrigues me is the 50 quantity in this special run. That's a lot less then other manufacturers normally require for special runs.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
One detail that intrigues me is the 50 quantity in this special run. That's a lot less then other manufacturers normally require for special runs.

Matt could corner the NTrak club car market with that :)

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net

Well, the economy helps dictate what overseas contractors are and are not willing to do, and the current trend is to allow for shorter minimums on the variations in a batch run.  Second, the PNS cars are being piggy-backed with the stock FVM run, so it's not as if the process is being fired up for this one offering.  And third, the PNS portion of the run is 150 pieces painted the same with some printing variations.  Some contractors consider just the painting variations in meeting the minimum run, others consider the entire painting/printing.

I had the privilege a couple of days ago of seeing the pilot model of the third car in the three-pack (the non-TimeSaver car) and it looked very good.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
Matt could corner the NTrak club car market with that :)

Working on it already ;)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
Working on it already ;)

I guess I would know that if I actually showed up for a meeting :(

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
I guess I would know that if I actually showed up for a meeting :(

Don't sweat it John. We haven't had the meeting on it yet.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
Don't sweat it John. We haven't had the meeting on it yet.

Cool. .. I won't feel so bad when I miss that one also :)

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
now that's funny!

lol

"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook