Author Topic: New Caboose from FVM  (Read 4443 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

asarge

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1675
  • Respect: +24
New Caboose from FVM
« on: April 12, 2011, 12:31:34 PM »
0
Just saw a posting on FB from FVM for the often asked for Milwaukee Road Horizontal ribside Caboose.


lashedup

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 879
  • Respect: +108
    • Model 160
Re: New Caboose from FVM
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 12:52:32 PM »
0

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26112
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11612
    • Conrail 1285
Re: New Caboose from FVM
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 12:55:50 PM »
0
That's awesome. I definitely don't need one, but I love seeing stuff like this getting done.

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: New Caboose from FVM
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 02:34:25 PM »
0
I hope it comes in a nice new box!
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: New Caboose from FVM
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 02:36:38 PM »
0
What year did they do the renumbering?



Jason

SirTainly

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1785
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +93
Re: New Caboose from FVM
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 02:37:53 PM »
0
What no hate yet for doing a one road caboose?  ;D You guys are slipping!


Seriously, for all you MILW guys, glad you got that rather spiffy caboose, nice work Matt. :)


mcjaco

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1754
  • Respect: +147
Re: New Caboose from FVM
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 02:53:26 PM »
0
I hope it comes in a nice new box!

LOL!!!!



I know nothing about the Milwaukee Road cabooses.  Did these last into the eighties? 

As a kid sitting at the Northbrook depot train watching one night, a freight stopped waiting for clearance onto the CNW trackage at A20.  The caboose stopped right at the platform and the brakeman popped his head out and said to my Dad and I, "We're going to be here awhile.  You look like you like trains, come on in."  Naturally within in thirty seconds of us getting in and asking one question, the wheels started rolling, and we had to jump off!   
~ Matt

Modutrak.com

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: New Caboose from FVM
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 03:09:32 PM »
0

I know nothing about the Milwaukee Road cabooses.  Did these last into the eighties?  


Here's one from '82

http://johnhill_3009.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1311686

And '87

http://johnhill_3009.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=646216

I would like one for around '78 which led to the question about the renumbering.  I'm also curious about the small side door.  I assume it's some sort of heater.


Jason
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:11:35 PM by wcfn100 »

altohorn25

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 958
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4524
    • Mini Mod u Trak
Re: New Caboose from FVM
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 03:13:21 PM »
0
I have 8 of them pre-ordered.   ;D

I'm very excited, no more messing around with the old JnJ kits (not that they were bad, just took a lot of time to clean them up).  I still have 3 of them sitting on my workbench in various states of assembly in addition to the 3 that I have done for my layout.

Nate
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

altohorn25

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 958
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4524
    • Mini Mod u Trak
Re: New Caboose from FVM
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 03:16:40 PM »
0
As far as the re-numbering:

I know they switched from the 0xxxxx numbering to the 99xxxx numbering system because the computer system they used for car tracking could not use the zero as the first number.  I'll have to check at home tonight for the year they started switching.  I remember reading it in one of my books.

Nate
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

Sokramiketes

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5404
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +2158
    • Modutrak
Re: New Caboose from FVM
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 03:19:47 PM »
0
What no hate yet for doing a one road caboose?  ;D You guys are slipping!


At least two.  It can be painted in CGW too!  

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8854749@N03/906357630/

<waiting for Jason to fall over>
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:22:32 PM by Sokramiketes »

mcjaco

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1754
  • Respect: +147
Re: New Caboose from FVM
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 03:35:55 PM »
0
~ Matt

Modutrak.com

wazzou

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6812
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1736
Re: New Caboose from FVM
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 03:45:41 PM »
0
I'm sure (hope) that the later re-numbered 99.... series cabs will come at a later date but wish that Matt would produce unnumbered versions in each run.

Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA


Roger Holmes

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1270
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +739
Re: New Caboose from FVM
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 05:23:38 PM »
0
I have six of these in brass that I will happily put on display in the yards as I replace them with what I am sure will be freely rolling, more finely detailed versions from FVM.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

Dave Schneider

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2377
  • Respect: +51
Re: New Caboose from FVM
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 05:43:31 PM »
0
Factoids from the MRHA rib side caboose publication.

The renumbering took place in 1973 as the Carscope computer system couldn't deal with the leading 0. Note that most of these cars were rebuilt in 1958 with an oil tank unit on the side opposite the small side door. The side door gave access to a toolbox and spare coupler knuckles. The straight frame truck lasted through 1949 (I think) at which time the drop frame truck was introduced. The straight frame was used mostly on lower speed branches and patrols (locals) after that. About 260 of the 315 built were still on the roster is 1978 but fewer than 10 were rated for transcontinental service.

Best wishes, Dave 
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.