Author Topic: EXR 5200 Gunderson Box Car - six new paint schemes.  (Read 4209 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
EXR 5200 Gunderson Box Car - six new paint schemes.
« on: March 08, 2011, 03:10:11 PM »
0

asarge

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1675
  • Respect: +24
Re: EXR 5200 Gunderson Box Car - six new paint schemes.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 03:25:41 PM »
0
How accurate are these for the roads offered? I seem to recall only 2 or so roads actually had that car. Is it a decent standin for something else?

MichaelWinicki

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2096
  • Respect: +335
Re: EXR 5200 Gunderson Box Car - six new paint schemes.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 04:05:45 PM »
0
How accurate are these for the roads offered? I seem to recall only 2 or so roads actually had that car. Is it a decent standin for something else?

Good question.

I see the description reads "1970 to present" but then you have the NP car.

If it were a wee bit before that, then I'd get a couple.

Dave Schneider

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2377
  • Respect: +51
Re: EXR 5200 Gunderson Box Car - six new paint schemes.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 04:19:36 PM »
0
The description also says:

Available in Cotton Belt, MNS and BNSF paint schemes and MP, SLSF and NP Heritage Paint Schemes, ExactRail's Gunderson 5200 Box Car has clean symmetry with vintage aesthetics.
I tend to follow the mantra of doing my best to replicate the home road and filling in the other holes with close enough/plausible. I love the NP look (aka vintage aesthetics!) and will pick up a couple of these for lumber yard traffic.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

MichaelWinicki

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2096
  • Respect: +335
Re: EXR 5200 Gunderson Box Car - six new paint schemes.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 04:30:05 PM »
0
The description also says:

Available in Cotton Belt, MNS and BNSF paint schemes and MP, SLSF and NP Heritage Paint Schemes, ExactRail's Gunderson 5200 Box Car has clean symmetry with vintage aesthetics.
I tend to follow the mantra of doing my best to replicate the home road and filling in the other holes with close enough/plausible. I love the NP look (aka vintage aesthetics!) and will pick up a couple of these for lumber yard traffic.

Best wishes, Dave

Ah, the word "Heritage".

I guess I won't be getting any of those.

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: EXR 5200 Gunderson Box Car - six new paint schemes.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 04:36:58 PM »
0
I see the description reads "1970 to present" but then you have the NP car.

Copy writing's not ExactRail's strong point. The NP car's date is 1968 and the MNS car is '66. The mistake was pointed out to them a few months ago, but I guess it turns out "1970" means something else in Utah or the person in charge of content's a wee slow.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: EXR 5200 Gunderson Box Car - six new paint schemes.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 05:10:11 PM »
0
I vaguely remember that SP&S, SP and BN were the prototypical roadnames from the first batch.  It stands to reason that there is a mix in this releases well.  I'm guessing that SSW, SLSF and possibly BNSF are the legitimate schemes.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: EXR 5200 Gunderson Box Car - six new paint schemes.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 05:59:12 PM »
0
I'm fairly certain the MN&S car is prototypical.  At least I was when I bought a car from the first run, stripped it and bought the MS decal.  The HO MN&S car was announced soon after so I assumed it was a just a matter of time.

Jason

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: EXR 5200 Gunderson Box Car - six new paint schemes.
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 06:39:45 PM »
0
I vaguely remember that SP&S, SP and BN were the prototypical roadnames from the first batch.  It stands to reason that there is a mix in this releases well.

I think only the SP qualifies from those three.  I remember something about roof issues on some of the other roadnames (x-panel).  Doors on the BN too I think.  Somewhere on the A-Board HO forum, there's a bunch of posts about these cars.

Jason
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 06:41:20 PM by wcfn100 »

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11877
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942


bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: EXR 5200 Gunderson Box Car - six new paint schemes.
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 11:25:46 PM »
0
Anyone know of an X-roof currently available that can be installed on the ExactRail car?  The Athearn undecorated NACC boxcar has a removable roof in two types, but I think those are Stanray and P-S.  Perhaps it can be cut from one of the old MDC boxcars.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: EXR 5200 Gunderson Box Car - six new paint schemes.
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 02:42:57 AM »
0
Anyone know of an X-roof currently available that can be installed on the ExactRail car?  The Athearn undecorated NACC boxcar has a removable roof in two types, but I think those are Stanray and P-S.  Perhaps it can be cut from one of the old MDC boxcars.

Doesn't Stanray make an X panel roof?

edit: EXR has a Stanray X-panel on their Evans 5277.

Jason
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:48:23 AM by wcfn100 »

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: EXR 5200 Gunderson Box Car - six new paint schemes.
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 10:35:33 AM »
0
I have one of each car and just looked at them.  The roofs are glued on.  I was able to pop the Gunderson roof easily, but the Evans doesn't want to budge.  The Gunderson roof is flat underneath however, so it stands to reason that the roofs are interchangeable.  Now the question is whether or not separate parts are available from EXR.  I'll find out.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


TiVoPrince

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5156
  • Respect: +4
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
Re: EXR 5200 Gunderson Box Car - six new paint schemes.
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 05:45:43 PM »
0
Yellow
doors semed to indicate paper or finished lumber service.  Not really so popular (as wet dimensional lumber) for me but maybe one Cotton Belt to slip into a lumber block...
Support fine modeling

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: EXR 5200 Gunderson Box Car - six new paint schemes.
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 06:20:52 PM »
0
Yellow
doors semed to indicate paper or finished lumber service.  Not really so popular (as wet dimensional lumber) for me but maybe one Cotton Belt to slip into a lumber block...

I model southern Ontario, far from Espee territory, but there is just something classy about SP and SSW 50' boxcars from that era. I my world, a few come up with specialty lumber loads for furniture manufacturing (before it all dried up in these parts). There is a company in Ajax, Ontario that constantly gets CSX / SOU / NS boxcar loads of lumber on their siding served by CN, so my scenario is not all that off base.