0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
I have one of each car and just looked at them. The roofs are glued on. I was able to pop the Gunderson roof easily, but the Evans doesn't want to budge. The Gunderson roof is flat underneath however, so it stands to reason that the roofs are interchangeable. Now the question is whether or not separate parts are available from EXR. I'll find out.
The yellow doors are nice to break up the endless string of plain brown boxcars. The yellow doors and yellow stripes were far less numerous in the grand scheme of things. As a modeler of the ' common and mundane' yellow door cars are far more the sprinkled on spices rather than the meat and potatoes. I really like them but the wallet breaker would be the oh too common PC&F in all those cool door variations...
Maybe this is a dumb question (or naive) but if the roofs are interchangeable, why would they use the incorrect one for some of the paint schemes? I also realize that this is a loaded question....perhaps I am unclear on what you guys are trying to do. Fix a currently offered paint scheme or produce an accurate car for other roads?Best wishes, Dave
CN in the 1960's used yellow doors to denote newsprint and green to denote lumber service boxcars. This was dropped at some point, and my assumption has always been that it seemed like a good idea on paper, but the reality of self-imposed usage restrictions on expensive rolling stock was costly and a PITA in practice. Seemingly great ideas are often proved to be folly when exposed to the end user.
The gunderson has a non-overhanging roof, the Evans car has a roof that overhangs the car eaves. Not interchangeable.
Other than the MN&S car, are there any other prototypical roads?
Jason, how long did the MNS cars remain in that scheme?