Author Topic: Etched passenger cars sides  (Read 3854 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Etched passenger cars sides
« on: February 10, 2011, 10:48:39 PM »
Didn't Marshall Shops used to manufacturer etched passenger car sides? If so, its website (http://www.marshallshops.com/) is now in all Japanese and it seems to no longer be in that line of business?

Does anyone else offer etched car sides? I'm looking for a C&O combine.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
Re: Etched passenger cars sides
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:24:02 PM »
I think the Marshall Shops stuff was laser cut plastic.  But yeah, they're long gone as far as I know.

Haven't seen a C&O heavyweight combine offered by anyone, assuming you're looking for a CGW prototype.

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 11:51:50 PM »
You might try the aptly-named Brass Car Sides:

http://www.brasscarsides.com/

No idea if they have the prototype you need.
-Mark

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 02:52:10 AM »
They were laser cut styrene and not all that well done, from what photos I saw of their models.

In addition to the numerous car sides offered by Brass Car Sides there is also M&R Models, who has a large assortment of brass etched car sides.  Roberto has announced that he will soon be releasing a variety of Harriman 60' and 70' car sides.  They are available from N Scale Supply and are very nicely done!!!
http://www.nscalesupply.com/mrs/MRS.html

Also there is Laser Horizons, and they make a large number of well executed car sides.  These are available from Pro Custom Hobbies, a partial list of the variety of cars can be found on their website (when ordering specify scale)...
http://www.procustomhobbies.com/catpages/LAH.shtml

jmlaboda

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 03:08:46 AM »
Oops... forgot one...

Athabasca Shops offers a large number of Canadian passenger car sides, including a number of cars that were built for American cars and sold to the Canadian National.
http://www.athabascashops.com/n-pass.htm

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 03:37:12 AM »
Haven't seen a C&O heavyweight combine offered by anyone, assuming you're looking for a CGW prototype.

If that's the case then someone should probably check with the C&O Historical (or whomever) because I've never read that those cars were combines on the C&O.

Does anyone here have this book?

C&O Heavyweight Passenger Cars

And if so, does it have any information on car nos. 478,477,469,471 of 473?

Jason

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 08:40:16 AM »

If that's the case then someone should probably check with the C&O Historical (or whomever) because I've never read that those cars were combines on the C&O.

Jason

What were they on the C&O then? Straight Coaches?

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 09:56:12 AM »
What were they on the C&O then? Straight Coaches?

No idea.  I know that the CGW bought them and rebuilt them.  Two cars in addition to the numbers I listed never got rebuilt.  If they weren't combines, my guess would be coaches.  I haven't really gotten into the combine yet, I'm still on the mail/baggage research.

Jason

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 10:00:28 AM »
Don't ever remember seeing a heavyweight.  Union Station had this streamlined model:

http://unionstationproducts.com/_7601.htm

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 11:20:43 AM »
No idea.  I know that the CGW bought them and rebuilt them.  Two cars in addition to the numbers I listed never got rebuilt.  If they weren't combines, my guess would be coaches.  I haven't really gotten into the combine yet, I'm still on the mail/baggage research.

Jason

I'm pretty sure they were combines on the C&O.  The rebuilding added things like sealed windows, but I don't think the overall floor plan/window arrangement would have changed. 

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 12:17:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure they were combines on the C&O.  The rebuilding added things like sealed windows, but I don't think the overall floor plan/window arrangement would have changed. 

Could be.  I just dropped a request to the C&OHS.  They were really helpful with my C&O autoparts car questions so we'll see what they have on this.  Maybe I'll get another free magazine. :)

Jason

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7953
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 06:17:22 PM »
Funny, I actually just joined the C&OHS (basically, to see what they do), and the magazines I got while joining include an article on C&O combines. If you're looking at the ones converted from coaches, well, they were done in 1930 while still on the C&O.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 08:33:17 PM »

Jason

I bet Tim has it. Earth to Sizemore, come in Sizemore...
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

jmlaboda

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 08:37:26 PM »
"Don't ever remember seeing a heavyweight.  Union Station had this streamlined model:

http://unionstationproducts.com/_7601.htm"

The drawings of the sides does not match that of the DRGW cars, one too many large windows on both sides and two smaller windows on one side in the dorm area are missing.  Although listed as the same plan as the C&O 1403 the car apparently was reconfigured before delivery to the DRGW to a baggage - dorm - coach.  The two DRGW cars were sold to them by Pullman Standard when C&O cancelled its huge order of cars.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 07:39:42 PM »
  Marshall Shops sides were laser cut plastic,similar to American Limited. Quality is fairly decient I purchased a bunch that I may get around to painting and assembling some day. Core kits are used. You have to be a passenger nut like me to have wanted them he did Missouri Pacific and a few SP PS Golden State /Overland Ltd. cars.Nate Goodman (Nato).Salt Lakle,Utah.