Author Topic: Etched passenger cars sides  (Read 3863 times)

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
Re: Etched passenger cars sides
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 10:52:27 PM »
Bryan,
 I think this is what you are looking for....well almost.

http://cgi.ebay.com/South-Park-N-C-O-DRGW-D-H-Buffet-Passenger-Car-Kit-/200575931851?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2eb341d5cb

Wrong car but this may be the manufacture you are looking for. These were a special run done by local hobbyshop, South Park Hobbies, in Middletown, Ohio, years back. I still see them around here at shows some times. I think there were a half dozzen different cars produced. I picked up a used, poorly assembled blunt end observation a couple years back on a club sale table. I stripped it and rebuilt the car into the B&O car that it eventually became..

I have since built a better one out of the Rowa plastic version of the car but there is no substitute for real metal to recreate the sides.
Tony Hines

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 07:46:01 AM »
FWIW, these cars were rebuilt heavyweights, not the lightweight streamline cars everyone's suggesting. Not sure if the C&O did this or the CGW but they had a turtle back roof. I probably should have mentioned that up front, but I appreciate the help.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 08:28:30 AM »
Bryan,
 There were 6-8 different sides offered by them and I seem to remember that they were not all smooth sides. It's been a while since I have seen them though. I know the entire batch was C&O prototypes but I don't remember exactly which cars.
Tony Hines

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 09:33:01 AM »
Bryan,
 There were 6-8 different sides offered by them and I seem to remember that they were not all smooth sides. It's been a while since I have seen them though. I know the entire batch was C&O prototypes but I don't remember exactly which cars.

I'll look into that. Thanks.

Bryan
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

jnevis

• Crew
  • WP Lives
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 01:59:25 PM »
On a slightly different note...
Have any of you guys done your own etched sides?  I was looking at the BNSF business cars and they are REALLY plain so fairly easy as a starter project.  My question is, etching windows all the way through is fairly obvious, but what about the doors/hatches that are visible on the side.  Using the Micro Mark etching kit, if I etch the windows from both sides and the doors only on one side does that work?  It would be SO much easier to do like the AMB kits and laser etch clear styrene but...
Can't model worth a darn, but can research like an SOB.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 05:53:06 PM »
Ask Chris333.  He's done a ton of etching in N and Z, including car sides.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 06:50:55 PM »
Now that I have used PPD I may never etch at home again  :)

Only thing about home etching a whole cars side would be the size. Harder to align the artwork.