Author Topic: Atlas Jan Announcements  (Read 9068 times)

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +236
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Atlas Jan Announcements
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 10:34:14 PM »
A while ago I defended Atlas for not offering new units and re-issuing older units with new liveries and road numbers; I now wonder if I was not being too charitable. Atlas offers DCC ready Dash 8's for a MRSP of $ 149.00; well above what I have seen others offer re-runs. So; what does this mean ?

I'm not dialed into the China production cost structure; others here may feel that they have some knowledge of this and may comment but the basic "cost vs price" arguement is now in play. As a consumer, I don't give a flyin fadoo about "cost; that is the manufacturer's issue. Price is my issue ans the price of $ 149.00 for a rerun; DCC ready is too rich for my blood. I suspect it is too rich for most people's blood.

Atlas has issues; damned if I know what they are,  but their silence reagrding new offerings; their price increases on tooling that hassome amoritization on it already and their general "pissed off" attitude (like their new hobby of locking topics on their site) are signs that all is not well in New Jersey.

All I know is they are not getting any of my money.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Brakie

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 10:45:42 PM »
:o  The prices on their new engines are a joke if you ask me.  I realize that you did not ask!

And  they show the HO C40.. :o

Frankly I can't see $149.00 for any  N Scale locomotive.

Reason?

That C40 cost more then some Atlas HO locomotives.
Larry

Summerset Ry.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +528
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 10:48:12 PM »
I understand price increases are a fact of life. I understand better models cost more money. What I don't understand is how the C40-8W is such a cow patty compaired to the B40-8W. Mis-fitting parts, gaps, shells that don't quite fit on the chassis, a view block that keeps the cab from seating correctly, poorly executed brass pickups.

I like Atlas a lot, but the C40s are not up to whats being offered by Kato or FVM.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 05:43:52 PM by daniel_leavitt2000 »
Celebrating 1000 days of humiliation.

JDouglasFisher

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 11:15:54 PM »
Just out of curiosity,

How many of you guys would purchase a locomotive with DCC and $150.00 price tag if it was made in the United States?

J,,,

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +413
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 11:27:48 PM »
Just out of curiosity,

How many of you guys would purchase a locomotive with DCC and $150.00 price tag if it was made in the United States?

J,,,

In a heartbeat.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 11:29:11 PM »
Just out of curiosity,

J,,,

Whilst being a Canadian, I do try and buy North American; that said the inclusion of DCC means nothing to me (I'm a confirmed DC guy) and $ 150.00 is steep...........maybe for certain units but for the general locomotive - no.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1095
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 11:34:44 PM »
A while ago I defended Atlas for not offering new units and re-issuing older units with new liveries and road numbers; I now wonder if I was not being too charitable. Atlas offers DCC ready Dash 8's for a MRSP of $ 149.00; well above what I have seen others offer re-runs. So; what does this mean ?

I'm not dialed into the China production cost structure; others here may feel that they have some knowledge of this and may comment but the basic "cost vs price" arguement is now in play. As a consumer, I don't give a flyin fadoo about "cost; that is the manufacturer's issue. Price is my issue ans the price of $ 149.00 for a rerun; DCC ready is too rich for my blood. I suspect it is too rich for most people's blood.

Atlas has issues; damned if I know what they are,  but their silence reagrding new offerings; their price increases on tooling that hassome amoritization on it already and their general "pissed off" attitude (like their new hobby of locking topics on their site) are signs that all is not well in New Jersey.

All I know is they are not getting any of my money.

Mike,

Far be it from me to defend Atlas, but we have to be fair.  They do offer new products over the course of the year, perhaps not as prolifically as in the past due to economical issues, but they do; the rate of tooling ammortization is not going to affect the increase in the production and material costs ("reruns" still count as new production, as the artwork charges are a small percentage of overall cost); the rules regarding what prompts lockdowns of topics on their boards haven't changed since the beginning - their boards (which are not public, you register for the privilege), their rules.  The company is doing fine.  I've personally known them for 30 years and I'm there fairly regularly, and all is well there as it as always been.

If the prices prove to be too high, the market will dictate that and then Atlas will adjust.  If there are not enough reservations to justify the run, it probably won't happen.  I can understand being frustrated if a particular item is desired but happens to be priced higher than expected.  But with shorter and shorter production runs (which is how Atlas is able to offer all of those oddball shortline schemes such as Aberdeen & Rockfish on multiple models) and rising production costs, the prices are going to rise.

Yes, there may be legitimate issues with the C40-8W, but the other criticisms are a major stretch.  Kato gets hammered for work done just as often, whether on mechanisms (GS-4) or paint colors (GEVO) or decorations (GG1).  So this conversation has the flavor of it being Atlas' turn to be the unwarranted whipping boy.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 11:55:14 PM »
Its the Bachman/Kader tax, Atlas needs to move there production to whoever is making FVM's locos.

As a modern CSX modeler, this one hurts with six number and three different schemes. I will get the 'Spirit of America' and the two YN3, but only the third number of YN2. Probably wait for MBK to put the on sale to get the other two.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 01:50:23 AM »
Its the Bachman/Kader tax, Atlas needs to move there production to whoever is making FVM's locos.

As a modern CSX modeler, this one hurts with six number and three different schemes. I will get the 'Spirit of America' and the two YN3, but only the third number of YN2. Probably wait for MBK to put the on sale to get the other two.

Hopefully not, my one FVM loco purchase was a bit of a dog.

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • http://www.featherrivertrains.com
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 02:01:34 AM »
Hopefully not, my one FVM loco purchase was a bit of a dog.

That is a problem that can be fixed and I can help. Fox Valley has excellent customer service.

Brakie

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 06:32:24 AM »
Bryan wrote:Far be it from me to defend Atlas, but we have to be fair.  They do offer new products over the course of the year, perhaps not as prolifically as in the past due to economical issues, but they do; the rate of tooling ammortization is not going to affect the increase in the production and material costs ("reruns" still count as new production, as the artwork charges are a small percentage of overall cost); the rules regarding what prompts lockdowns of topics on their boards haven't changed since the beginning - their boards (which are not public, you register for the privilege), their rules.  The company is doing fine.  I've personally known them for 30 years and I'm there fairly regularly, and all is well there as it as always been.
-----------------------------
What you say has some merit but, we can't forget  we haven't seen a new Atlas  N Scale locomotive since the GP15-1 but,we have seen several new locomotives and cars in HO and in my mind that seems to rule out the "bad economy" excuse...I'll mention the new O Scale models as well released since the GP15-1.

I won't help support Atlas HO/O Scale projects by paying higher  N Scale costs while we get nothing new in return as far as new locomotives and cars.

I been on the Atlas forum since 2001 and I know there is more lock topics now then ever before and we can't overlook the fact Atlas shut their forums down twice due to the "brawls" that was very common on those forums..
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 06:37:42 AM by Brakie »
Larry

Summerset Ry.

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 07:07:36 AM »
Just out of curiosity,

J,,,

I'd be more inclined but I still be given pause. Like I said before, there's a quality issue with Atlas that I need to know is rectified before shelling out that money for these,

Phil
- Phil

Lenny53

• Crew
  • Respect: +386
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 07:34:44 AM »
Obviously production costs are rising, or the production run is lower, or both.

Obviously?    InterMountain and Fox Valley 6 axle locos have MRSPs that are $30 less.  The Kato Gevos made in Japan are
priced at about $50 less.  What is so obvious that we are not seeing?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 07:37:00 AM by Lenny53 »

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 08:32:20 AM »
I'm sure all is well at Atlas but from my chair here up north it appears that they are beginning to believe the Atlas forumites that sing their praises to the rafters; thus convincing them that they can lead the market in price increases. I'm sure that it's far more complicated then that but it just seesm that they have reduced their new offering schedule and are asking more for repeats.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +511
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 08:35:47 AM »
Just out of curiosity,

J,,,

I don't generally buy any locomotives with DCC .. I prefer to put my own in ..

As to the other part of the question - it depends .. is it something I need, and is it up to current standards .. I won't buy purely based on the "Made in the USA" label ..