Author Topic: September 2011 Train show project layout  (Read 5620 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2011, 07:52:22 PM »
0
Really....now that would be cool! Let me know how much that costs?


The cost is paper and toner. Just download these and send them to a printer.

http://whiteriverandnorthern.net/images/version_1_1to1.jpg

http://whiteriverandnorthern.net/images/version_5_1to1.jpg

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12278
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11763
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2011, 08:13:13 PM »
0
An out of the box question;

Even though this is going to be a small layout, should I plan for legs underneath instead of hoping train shows it might venture to have tables to put it on?

Also, what about a cover? I'm thinking a simple 1/2 ply box top with tool box type fasteners?

You can do that, but it quickly multiplies the weight and is a paint in the a$$ to assemble/disassemble.  I only did it when I had the government contract movers move the layout when I changed duty stations.  Taking it across town for a show I just loaded it without a cover.  No damage to date...!

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 08:37:52 PM »
0
An out of the box question;

Even though this is going to be a small layout, should I plan for legs underneath instead of hoping train shows it might venture to have tables to put it on?

Also, what about a cover? I'm thinking a simple 1/2 ply box top with tool box type fasteners?

Given its small size, I think I'd rely on tables to sit it on, rather than try to build legs. Just call ahead to make sure there are tables available for it. And unless you're going to ship it across country, I think a cover might be overkill.

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2011, 09:57:37 PM »
0
An out of the box question;

Even though this is going to be a small layout, should I plan for legs underneath instead of hoping train shows it might venture to have tables to put it on?

Also, what about a cover? I'm thinking a simple 1/2 ply box top with tool box type fasteners?

I had a couple skirt covers made to fit over a Banker's box so after I unloaded the boxes, they could be used to support the layout off the table.  It worked really slick.   I'll try and find a picture of the setup.

Jason


MichaelT

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 484
  • Respect: +1
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2011, 10:14:11 PM »
0
The cost is paper and toner. Just download these and send them to a printer.

http://whiteriverandnorthern.net/images/version_1_1to1.jpg

http://whiteriverandnorthern.net/images/version_5_1to1.jpg

Umm, do I need to have my printer on any certain settings? I sent them to the printer, only one page printed out, and it's a bit smaller than the actual track...?

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
0
You may need to print them from a paint program so that you can specify tiling the output at the original image size. As an alternative, try this:

http://www.blockposters.com/

Dave Foxx used it, and he says it worked fine (once he got the proper paper size setting).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 11:16:58 PM by David K. Smith »

MichaelT

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 484
  • Respect: +1
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2011, 01:09:38 PM »
0
Afternoon,

So taking one of David K. Smith's ideas



I added a bit to it;



too much? Having a couple of switching points outside the main loop seems to make the small layout look a little larger, and would provide a little more work for the local, yes?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:13:05 PM by MichaelT »

wazzou

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6812
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1736
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 01:30:12 PM »
0
I like it but I'd lose one or two of the TO's at the lower right unless that is your yard.  If it is, I'd extend that passing siding to beyond the trees on the lower right.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA


conrail98

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1462
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 03:12:33 PM »
0
I agree with wazzou, lose one turnout at the bottom. I'd also suggest the building in the left-middle that is angled to be parallel to the road and maybe it's loading dock or that side of the building parallel to the siding/spur, like a right-angled trapezoid. I'd also flip the turnout on the inner circle on the right as it comes out of it's curve at the top to a left-handed turnout from the right-handed it is now, that'll eliminate the s-curve there,

Phil
- Phil

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2011, 04:28:29 PM »
0
I found a picture of the banker's box skirts.




Jason

MichaelT

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 484
  • Respect: +1
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2011, 04:37:15 PM »
0
Thanks Jason,

I think I could come up with something like that with minimal problems.

mt