Author Topic: September 2011 Train show project layout  (Read 5619 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MichaelT

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 484
  • Respect: +1
September 2011 Train show project layout
« on: January 09, 2011, 09:20:55 PM »
0
Greetings,

Ok, wanted to start this now (actually a little later than I wanted) and see where it leads.

Our local LHS owner is sponsoring a train show here in Jacksonville, Arkansas September 2011. He has themed this train show "Everyone has room for model railroading", and is challenging a number of the local modelers to sport some small or micro layouts for the show. I had thought for awhile that I would just work on two of the LHS layouts that our Saturday morning group has been working on, but then I decided that I wanted to make a project that I could present at the train show as well. After going through some stuff in the shed tonight (in the middle of Central Arkansas' Jan. 2011 snow storm), I came across a 1/2 HCD that I had picked up from a curbside some months ago.

This would be the perfect base to launch this project. The base is 30" x 43". So that is my template to work with.

This is going to be an N project, and right now the first thought engine roster for it will be an Atlas Trainman GP15, and a pair of GP38-2's. Understanding that I probably won't have all the engines on the layout at the same time, but wanted anyone interested to know that I had a few engines to work with. Also have some other engines, but these listed above are painted in Missouri Pacific livery, and will probably attempt to model the Mopac line.

I don't have a layout theme in mind currently, and that is where I thought I would pick a few of your collective mnds and see what ideas might circulate. I'd like to make this a DCC layout; both GP38's are DCC engines, and the GP15 has a decoder from TCS that I could use I think. A few things I think I'd like to have on the layout; (and these are subject to change as ideas float around)...

A river or creek with a bridge crossing somewhere, but not "center stage"
Possibly the creek could come out of the foothill of the start of a mountain range; thinking Ozaks or Ouachita's...those are two small ranges in Arkansas.
Continuous run for the train show, freight traffic (no passenger train planned)
A branchline of the Missouri Pacific Railroad (probably freelanced unless a better idea surfaces)
I'm thinking Mopac because those are the engines I have on hand; also have an M15DC? switcher
I'm thinking 13" radius curves to keep the tracks 2" from the ends of the layout.

My first thought is an industrial area in a small town, i.e. no more than two sidings.
I'd like to have one runaround track if it's possible in the space.

So I know that I have some time (7 months as I'd like to have it completed around August), but would like to have as much of the planning phase completed and start construction no later than the 1st of February. I know that sounds like a long time, but with work and church and other commitments, I want to try and give as much time to this as I can.

Anyway, those of you who would not mind offering some ideas, ask questions, help me get this thing rolling, I'd really appreciate it.

Michael
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 09:23:29 PM by MichaelT »

MichaelT

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 484
  • Respect: +1
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 09:25:34 PM »
0
Track; going to be using Atlas c55 track as I have a pretty good stock on hand. Also have some #5, #7, and a couple #10 turnouts, although I'm thinking the #10's might be a tad long for this project.

DCC is Digitrax, currently have a Super Empire setup, but will probably pick up a Zephyr to run this, or might try another DCC brand if one comes available at a decent price.


Brakie

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 637
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 10:08:27 PM »
0
Michael,Like always here's what I would do with that 30" x 43" space..I would build a working railroad and would have a industrial sitting instead of mountains,lakes or rivers since I see such as a waste of valuable space on a small layout.

A word about "Continuous run for the train show".

Think of this..90% of the attendees will be modelers so,maybe you should run a local from time to time?

I have notice where there is action attendees will stop and watch instead of walking by another train running endless loops.That is how I won "Best Of Show" once and 1st place twice on a 36" x 80" HCD layout I displayed at various train shows in 85,86,87.
Larry

Summerset Ry.

MichaelT

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 484
  • Respect: +1
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:26:44 PM »
0
Michael,Like always here's what I would do with that 30" x 43" space..I would build a working railroad and would have a industrial sitting instead of mountains,lakes or rivers since I see such as a waste of valuable space on a small layout.

A word about "Continuous run for the train show".

Think of this..90% of the attendees will be modelers so,maybe you should run a local from time to time?

I have notice where there is action attendees will stop and watch instead of walking by another train running endless loops.That is how I won "Best Of Show" once and 1st place twice on a 36" x 80" HCD layout I displayed at various train shows in 85,86,87.

Interesting; I hadn't thought of that. So you think more people will take time to notice a working railroad instead of a roundy round? That is going to be something to put on the options list then...something to fudge out between now and February.

Thanks for the thoughts.

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 11:25:59 PM »
0
There's definitely the temptation to do a simple loopty around a scenic element in this kind of space, but I really have to agree with Brakie on this one.  Accepting that there's a definite cost issue with urban scenery, in your relatively confined space, you won't need that much. 

I'm thinking a very tightly packed urban setting, maybe a railroad overpass crossing a busy thoroughfare, a branch that descends down to street level for some street running and a couple of switches.

You could use your GP-15 to run loops on the "main" and take advantage of the new Bachmann 44T to bump cars down the street.  You can spend the summer detailing structures and vehicles, and really have fun whipping up a small, crowd pleasing layout.  And if you do it right, you can cut a couple of rails, and incorporate it into your home layout.

Something like this could be your centerpiece:
http://www.advancedmodelrailroad.com/servlet/the-2766/N--dsh--CONCRETE-UNDERPASS/Detail

And here's a neat resource for small track plans:
http://www.carendt.com/microplans/index.html

Looks like a fun project to follow!  Keep us posted.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 09:14:05 AM »
0
This is the visual I'm thinking of...  From Jon Grant's Sweet Home Chicago layout:
http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/data/959/IMG_8333.JPG

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

MichaelT

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 484
  • Respect: +1
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 11:04:48 AM »
0
Well I know this will change many times before track is laid, but I wanted to start getting some idea and suggestions/changes on this thing. Lee thanks for your added thoughts; I think I understand what you're talking about, but if the diagram doesn't look close, then I'll know I'm not on the same plane.

Just a first rough draft with some buildings thrown in for good measure. The only problem I see so far is the overpass on the branch line, that negates lowering that part of the line, but I could raise the buildings a bit and have some elevation drop, i.e. a dock/loading area one or two floors above street level for the front side of the building.



I see a curved turnout or two in my future...lol
Those are 12" squares on the template btw.

michael
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 11:08:57 AM by MichaelT »

MichaelT

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 484
  • Respect: +1
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 11:06:51 AM »
0
There's definitely the temptation to do a simple loopty around a scenic element in this kind of space, but I really have to agree with Brakie on this one.  Accepting that there's a definite cost issue with urban scenery, in your relatively confined space, you won't need that much. 

I'm thinking a very tightly packed urban setting, maybe a railroad overpass crossing a busy thoroughfare, a branch that descends down to street level for some street running and a couple of switches.

You could use your GP-15 to run loops on the "main" and take advantage of the new Bachmann 44T to bump cars down the street.  You can spend the summer detailing structures and vehicles, and really have fun whipping up a small, crowd pleasing layout.  And if you do it right, you can cut a couple of rails, and incorporate it into your home layout.

Something like this could be your centerpiece:
http://www.advancedmodelrailroad.com/servlet/the-2766/N--dsh--CONCRETE-UNDERPASS/Detail

And here's a neat resource for small track plans:
http://www.carendt.com/microplans/index.html

Looks like a fun project to follow!  Keep us posted.
Lee

The micro layout site is where Daryl (the LHS owner) got his idea for the show theme. He's a big fan of modelers of that site, and enjoys looking through it for updates, and he's gotten a number of us peeking at it from time to time as well.

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 12:26:24 PM »
0
That's pretty much what I had in mind!  Looks great!
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 12:35:16 PM »
0
Well I know this will change many times before track is laid, but I wanted to start getting some idea and suggestions/changes on this thing. Lee thanks for your added thoughts; I think I understand what you're talking about, but if the diagram doesn't look close, then I'll know I'm not on the same plane.

Just a first rough draft with some buildings thrown in for good measure. The only problem I see so far is the overpass on the branch line, that negates lowering that part of the line, but I could raise the buildings a bit and have some elevation drop, i.e. a dock/loading area one or two floors above street level for the front side of the building.



I see a curved turnout or two in my future...lol
Those are 12" squares on the template btw.

michael

Good start, although I see a minor operational issue in not having a runaround (yeah, you've got one big one all the way 'round the outside!). Can't resist--I'll have to tinker...

MichaelT

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 484
  • Respect: +1
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 12:42:42 PM »
0
That's pretty much what I had in mind!  Looks great!
Lee

So we're looking at what, 1-3/4 bridge height? So I need to get the tracks on the branch from 1-3/4 down to somewhere close to ground level in a very short space, or have monstrous grade issues...

Thanks David, I've been tinkering as well, but haven't come up with a runaround solution inside the branch area. I'd be very interested to see what you conjure up!

michael

MichaelT

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 484
  • Respect: +1
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 12:45:15 PM »
0
I added a couple more business customers for the branch, but still haven't figured out any runaround solution.



Only problem here is it starts getting spaghetti bowl looking.
Yes I'd like to have as much train work as possible but also want it to look feasible for the space allowed, right?

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12346
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8590
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 12:47:24 PM »
0
Will adding a crossover at the bottom between the mainline and the siding add the runaround you're looking for?

HTH,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 01:10:12 PM »
0
Here's a version with a runaround. Radius on the branchline curve is 10.5; minimum on the outside loop is 11. Switches are all #5 except for the facing pair at the top, which are #7.

I tried adding a runaround on just the branchline, but that forces curve radii down to around 9 inches. But I'm not done tinkering...
 


I have some ideas for adding scenic interest, also, which will come shortly.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 01:12:28 PM by David K. Smith »

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: September 2011 Train show project layout
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 01:47:25 PM »
0
A few more quickies. Figure if I keep throwing 'em at the wall, one might stick. Got a few more on the way.