Author Topic: Manufacturer Survey  (Read 5106 times)

pmpexpress

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
    • Trains N Scale
Manufacturer Survey
« on: January 07, 2011, 01:12:38 PM »
As I currently own the original production masters for the old N Scale of Nevada Piggy Packer, the Single Axle Double Bottom Trailer Dolly, the D&RGW Re-Rerail Frogs (both styles), and the utility pole cross-arms, insulators (both short and tall stack), and transformers (both round and square) it has come to my attention that there may be a market for improved versions and/or re-releases of these circa 1980s products.

1. Would there be any interest in an updated, easier to assemble version of the old NSN Piggy Packer? The update could potentially include:

A) An injection molded horn casting

B) Brass roof-top floodlights

C) New rims that more closely resemble the prototype and do not exhibit the off-centered appearance that the original castings do

D) No solder brass cab and railings

E) Pre-colored plastic tires

F) Stainless steel hydraulic cylinder assemblies

2. Given that Athearn's previously released N-Scale Mack R Tractor with 28' Trailers included a plastic single-axle trailer dolly, would there be room in the marketplace for re-releasing (if it was ever actually produced in the first place) NSN's pewter trailer dolly?

3. Does anyone own one of the aforementioned NSN dolly kits?

4. Although the NSN UTPxxx Utility Poles were offered RTR (without the transformers), would a kit version (that would require painting and gluing the pewter parts to wood dowels) of the aforementioned product be viable?

5. Would there be a market for the separate cross-arms, insulators, and transformers?

Your thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Neville Wilson

Prestige Model Productions
Period Miniatures
The Connoisseur Model Collection

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +442
    • Layout Progress Blog
Manufacturer Survey
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 01:26:31 PM »
Neville:
  • 1. Yes
  • 2. Yes
  • 3. Not me personally, but you will fin the RW is full of pack-rtas!
  • 4. Yes
  • 5. Yes
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

pmpexpress

• Crew
    • Trains N Scale
Manufacturer Survey
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 02:07:31 PM »
Phillip H.,

Thanks for your response.

1. Should the utility pole kits be comprised of only the pewter cross-arms and transformers (i.e., without any dowels)?

Or

Should the kits be complete with pre-cut dowels?

2. Components for how many poles (assuming single, double, and triple cross-arm kits are to be produced) should be included in each kit?

3. How many of the poles would require transformers?

Anyone aware of what was packaged with the D&RGW re-rail kits?

Neville Wilson

Prestige Model Productions
Period Miniatures
The Connoisseur Model Collection

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +442
    • Layout Progress Blog
Manufacturer Survey
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 02:12:20 PM »
Neville,
I think you can do the poles both ways, and do well.  For instance, I am about to embark on some major reworking of the Atlas 12-to-a-box poles for use on my layout, but I suspect I'll never get the plastic to look enough like wood.  So for me, the wod dowels for foreground work and the arms and insulators to add to the Atlas poles for background work are a nice combination.

As to numbers, I actually think that packs of 10 or 20 would work best.  12 just seems odd to me.  Transformers are different - in the city you seem to see them about once every 6 poles; in the rural areas its about twice or three times less common (i.e. every 12th or 18th pole).  If you have a quality transformer casting, I'd almost say do it separately.  Most of the folks here seem to prefer a-la-carte detail shopping anyway.

Philip

P.S.  If you have a website, adding the link to your profile would be appreciated - I try to patronize the manufacturers who post here, as do many of us.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

pmpexpress

• Crew
    • Trains N Scale
Manufacturer Survey
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 02:48:53 PM »
Phillip H.,

Thanks again.

Will look into offering a-la-cart packages of the pole components (i.e., 10, 20, and 30 piece packs of cross-arms to cover the single, double, and triple arm pole configurations, possibly 6 packs of transformers, and 12 packs insulators).

Though a prominent manufacturer had expressed an interest in acquiring the Piggy Packer masters for re-release (i.e., the reason for my market survey), current indecision on the buyer’s part may find me having to pick this project up.

Per your suggestion, I have added a link for Period Miniatures to my profile.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +141
Re: Manufacturer Survey
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
Neville,

1) YES!!! For me, the rims were the biggest drawback of the old model. Especially at the old cost. Other cleaned-up detail parts would be welcome though.

2) No interest from me.

3) No.

4) No interest on the kits.

5) YES! Separate parts, packaged in both small and significant quantities would be very welcome.

Good luck on the new endeavor.

Bryan B.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +165
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 07:43:19 PM »
1) No interest
2) No interest
3) No
4) Yes
5) Possibly

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 07:46:16 PM »
You may want to keep in mind that the Kieth Wiesman of Wiesmodel Service has all the molds and photo etch. He is going into production of said items already. He has enough of the photo etch parts to keep him going for a while and has already contacted the facility that made the photo etch and they have all the drawings to continue production.

Kieth has the equipment to do the pewter and resin casting as his current major market is HO, S, and O scale narrowgauge kits and details. He is venturing into N. I've seen many of his detail parts in person at one of the loco shows he visits and the quality is very good.

You may want to check out this topic he started on Trainboard looking for original kits. The one thing he doesn't have in the stuff he picked up is instructions.

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=127676
Tony Hines

highway70

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 02:39:05 AM »
I am interested in the Piggy Packer.  I bought the NSN years ago but never finished it.  Unfortunately many of the parts have gotton lost.

pmpexpress

• Crew
    • Trains N Scale
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 05:46:56 AM »

Thanks for all of your additional input.

In an October 7, 2004 TrainBoard forum post John (“Tootshore”) stated the following:

... The PACKER was a nice kit and the most difficult design NSN ever produced. I think 500 kits were sold way back then - early 1990's.

In today's dollar that kit would run about $175.00 Retail if 500 kits were ordered. It is LABOR intensive to produce and I might add LABOR intensive to build - and in a 'Ready To Run' atmosphere - well - it just wont happen.

In another TrainBoard post dated December 11, 2005, John stated:

… I'll take the time to review the patterns and tooling, find what needs to be revised and improved, gather a cost for doing so and formulate a price for a kit and then let Lucas get in the picture with how much labor would be required to put it together.

After all that - non revenue generating time is invested - a price for the kit and built up version will be found - displayed here and elsewhere and then the groans start. Wow, why is it so expensive - will be heard about the land.

By mid 2007, the NSN web site had the following information:

COMING IN SEPTEMBER

Will be a completely re-stated and much easier to assemble PIGGY PACKER. In 2 versions - a kit for you to assemble and a RTE item - RTE = READY TO ENJOY - or built up version. No, there is no prices as of yet - check back in very late August if you have an interest in this item.

Actually, the recent TrainBoard topics were direct responses to my previous conversations with Keith.

Keith was advised that I had already acquired a number of different NSN production masters (including those for all of the products that have previously been mentioned in this thread) a few years ago.

As is presently the case, the plan was to eventually update some of these products and incorporate them into the Period Miniatures™ line.

In any case, if the sale of the production masters for the Piggy Packer should happen to transpire, or I wind up personally taking on the project, along with a host of proposed upgrades (that will simplify construction and increase the model's accuracy), parts for a re-released model will certainly be produced from newly fabricated molds, which will eliminate the excessive flash and improve the ultra-fine details.

While this will not facilitate rapid marketplace re-introduction, the planned product improvements and quality that is expected to be attained is worth the additional cost, effort, and time. 

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +83
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 07:52:08 AM »
Interesting that two folks propose a re-introduction of NSN sku's at about the same time.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +475
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 11:47:32 AM »
I'll take the Piggypacker any whay I can. We really need these. I would love an upgraded model with better wheels.

As for the utility poles, please include the dowels. Its impossible to get properly tapered dowels. I'd take them in either wood or pewter.
You've crossed the walls, excelled
Further along through their hell
All for my heart, I watch you kill
You always have, you always will
Now spread your wings and sail out to me

bobdobbs

• Crew
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 03:43:56 PM »
Yes to Piggy Packer, maybe to all else..

Dobbs
[

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 04:45:07 PM »
4. Yes

5. Yes

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +381
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 05:10:16 PM »
I'd really like to see the Piggypacker also adapted to suit a Wagner Log Loader from the 60's-70's era.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA