Author Topic: Pressure Differential Covered Hopper history  (Read 10750 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Re: Pressure Differential Covered Hopper history
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 01:50:25 AM »
Bryan, RYM has stated to several of us, both in person and in writing, that they have exited the N scale market for good. There will never be a new RYM kit in 1/160. This is pretty much the reason why your X58 project is off the ground. Funny thing is, I think RYM would have had a hit with the X58. Looks like it will be your project to succeed. Personally, you are much more pleasant to talk to.

If we are talking kits, I think the PD3000 would be more popular because it is a new model. I think a fully detailed PD5000 would be more popular RTR because of the colorful paint schemes, popularity and reach of the prototype even with the old Walthers models floating around. The walthers cars were crude: the handrails are 9-12 scale inches thick. No joke, they are thicker than the PD piping! The models were painted with automotive primer that obscured what little detail they had. Even though I had made etching paters at one point, no one ever produced an upgrade kit. This is why I have been annoying Bob (TrainCat2) fo so long about it. Think of the two bay ACF. Atlas had their crude model, but there was also room for three very nice versions frim IM, MTL and Athearn.

I think you are right about the flexiflo cars too. I would get a few, but these were essentially only seen in the North East, specifically on the Boston Line and a few other places. I used to watch them get unloaded in Framingham Yard while I was in grade school. This alone may explain my low grades in 4th and 5th grade, which had classrooms over looking the track.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 02:07:53 AM »
Wow, yeah, that dude was at a Co. Springs show and I talked to him for a couple minutes.

He's done in N scale. LOL 

Nice kits though.

I know from talking to him that one of his masters was done by RP.  If it was the PD3000, maybe he'd be willing to share if someone wanted to pick it up for N scale.

From my few moments talking to him, he didn't seem like a 'sharer' but you never know.  The whole 'N' scale thing seemed to set the mood.

Jason

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 09:01:15 AM »
There's got to be a way to salvage the old Walthers model if the tooling still exists, with better paint and new etched end cages and roofwalk.  Food for thought.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 10:16:03 AM »
Rail Yard Models is making the 3K in HO, a plastic body with extensive metal etchings. It's a shame their one foray into N scale didn't go over so well.

I'm not familiar with RYM's earlier work.  What was the N scale project that left such a bad taste in their mouths?
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 12:16:52 PM »
The G41A coil car rang a bell and then I found this.

http://therailwire.net/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=14755.0

Still in the archive too.

http://therailwire.net/forum/index.php/topic,14755.0.html

Which , of course, took four post to turn into a thread about the X58.  :P

Jason
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:20:04 PM by wcfn100 »

ljudice

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 12:27:42 PM »
Overland did another version as well, the rarer Asepticar PD3000 which had the locked hatches on the roof for transporting food products safely - or at least that's what I think the reason was...

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 02:02:31 PM »
To upgrade the Walthers car, I used the GMM C&S Cylindrical Hopper set for the the ends of the car. The set's roof walk is not correct for the car. I spliced and join the two roof walks to form one walkway. I spliced two GMM ACF hopper roof walks for a second car.

Hope it helps

Greg 

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 03:35:20 PM »
I was aware RYM was out of the market for good. My suggestion was definitely tongue in cheek. The owner is one of those that blames the N scale market for not supporting the company, when they did about zero marketing to to let N scalers know the car was available. C'est la vie.

I'll shoot him an email and see what he says. It can't hurt to ask, all he can do is say 'no'. Maybe he'll surprise us and say 'yes'.

Otherwise, the Wally car can be resurrected with new end braces and grabs. Alot of work if you want a fleet. And yes, they'd need to be repainted too. I would think that if someone (Bob?) were to do etched walkways, he might consider doing all new end bracing too.

Same thing for their 4427s. I have a bunch of those socked away hoping to get to them, but I think I'm more hoping someone will release it in N (HELLO, Craig!!!) so I can dump them on eBay as is. The 4427s are a must have for me, and I'd like lots of them in 60s TLDX schemes, like with the early Cargill and ADM logos. I bugged Craig's 4000 competitor for an N scale version and even sent them several articles on 4427 paint schemes. I'm disappointed nothing's been even announced yet.

Speaking covered hoppers and pressure loads, how about that InterMountain Ho Procor Pressure Flow hopper? There's another one we could use in N, along with a carbon black car.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 03:41:49 PM »

Same thing for their 4427s. I have a bunch of those socked away hoping to get to them, but I think I'm more hoping someone will release it in N (HELLO, Craig!!!)

Yeah Craig!

Don't make me print the decals.

Jason

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 03:55:38 PM »
Same thing for their 4427s. I have a bunch of those socked away hoping to get to them, but I think I'm more hoping someone will release it in N (HELLO, Craig!!!) so I can dump them on eBay as is. The 4427s are a must have for me, and I'd like lots of them in 60s TLDX schemes, like with the early Cargill and ADM logos. I bugged Craig's 4000 competitor for an N scale version and even sent them several articles on 4427 paint schemes. I'm disappointed nothing's been even announced yet.

Bryan,

Is the coming MT 4427 the wrong one for you?

Mark

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 04:36:27 PM »
Bryan,

Is the coming MT 4427 the wrong one for you?

Mark

The MTL car is a high side car, no?
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2010, 05:39:04 PM »
Still in the archive too.

http://therailwire.net/forum/index.php/topic,14755.0.html

I just perused this thread.  I think there were a number of strikes against the G41A.  Price might have been one.  Choice of prototype another.  I would have started with a different prototype.  If I had the tooling experience four years ago that I have now, I would have chosen a prototype other than the G26 to start with, and that's RTR as opposed to kits.  The N scale market is tough when it comes to non-RTR stuff.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2010, 06:07:33 PM »
The MTL car is a high side car, no?

Si. I guess the image Jason posted is a low then.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2010, 08:09:18 PM »
Si. I guess the image Jason posted is a low then.

Yeah, Jason's is a low-sider. He's got the same ideas I do. The low side version was the earlier of the two versions and, CMIIAW, has a lot more paint schemes to sell. The TLDX schemes alone would keep a company busy for a three of more years @ one a month releases.

BTW Jason, I'm interested in some of those decals when you go to print. And I have the 1960 Cargill shield logo if you're interested. It's only 1600 x 1180, but it shrinks down fairly well. Someone with some more desktop art experience may be able to crisp it up a bit too.  The later version was nice too, with that tall thin lettering. I don't suppose you have a Louis Dreyfus somewhere up your sleeve as well? Pillsbury? Tabor? B&W?

If we could get the low-side 4427 and the 4240 re-released, I'd be pretty much set for grain service.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2010, 08:35:31 PM »

BTW Jason, I'm interested in some of those decals when you go to print. And I have the 1960 Cargill shield logo if you're interested. It's only 1600 x 1180, but it shrinks down fairly well. Someone with some more desktop art experience may be able to crisp it up a bit too.  The later version was nice too, with that tall thin lettering. I don't suppose you have a Louis Dreyfus somewhere up your sleeve as well? Pillsbury? Tabor? B&W?

The 4427's are on the project list somewhere.  I'm hoping that the MTL car will have brakegear that can be used on the walthers' cars. Anything is better than the 'bump' walthers used and these cars just aren't high enough quality to justify the time to build the brakegear by hand.  As for the decal, I haven't figured out the blue on the placard (no way my printer will match that light blue).  The easy way is to paint it blue with the car and cover that with a white decal, I just don't know if I want to waste that much white.  I'm going to look into a laser printer. Since it will be layered over white, I'm assuming it should work.

I don't have any other artwork (for this particular car) at this time.  The ADM cars happened to show up in blocks hauling wheat on the CGW so I jumped on the decal an picked up a half dozen cars.

Jason