Author Topic: The Nightmare on Puddy Street- Car Complete  (Read 4586 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: The Nightmare on Puddy Street- Car Complete
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
0
Overall, pretty nice. However, if I may

on the prototype, the window frame was flush with the door. I would try to work that in. Also - the window mullions? probably could stand some shaving ..

I know - I tried making doors that way and I failed....they looked "tres" unfinished..." I will sand those mullions when I get a new set of sanding sticks, mine are "kaput"......
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: The Nightmare on Puddy Street- Car Complete
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 11:29:06 AM »
0
All of the major online dealers carry FVM wheels.

I try to support the LHS guys - if we don't they are doomed... they will get the FM wheels eventually.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

John

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 14006
  • Respect: +4180
Re: The Nightmare on Puddy Street- Car Complete
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 11:39:58 AM »
0
I know - I tried making doors that way and I failed....they looked "tres" unfinished..." I will sand those mullions when I get a new set of sanding sticks, mine are "kaput"......

I had the same issue with my BQ23-7 cab i built .. it was just impossible for me to get the windows to look right ..

Overall, the car looks cool .. and if you didn't have the proto pic, it would be a wash .. cheers

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: The Nightmare on Puddy Street- Car Complete
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 12:23:43 PM »
0
I had the same issue with my BQ23-7 cab i built .. it was just impossible for me to get the windows to look right ..

Overall, the car looks cool .. and if you didn't have the proto pic, it would be a wash .. cheers

Ya, those darn proto pics eh.........? ;)

Hey; I have no illusions of being as fine scale a modeler as some guys here - that's why I hang out - to learn from ya all.

Thanks for the nice comments and encouragement.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

mcjaco

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1754
  • Respect: +147
Re: The Nightmare on Puddy Street- Car Complete
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 12:35:50 PM »
0
Hey; I have no illusions of being as fine scale a modeler as some guys here - that's why I hang out - to learn from ya all.

Pud, I think we all look forward to seeing your work.   8)
~ Matt

Modutrak.com

SirTainly

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1785
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +93
Re: The Nightmare on Puddy Street- Car Complete
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 01:05:05 PM »
0
Looks really good Pud, makes me think of the horse-box cars my Dad has for his Hornby Dublo.

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: The Nightmare on Puddy Street- Car Complete
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 01:36:59 PM »
0
Ya, those darn proto pics eh.........? ;)

Hey; I have no illusions of being as fine scale a modeler as some guys here - that's why I hang out - to learn from ya all.

Thanks for the nice comments and encouragement.

Photoshop the proto to look like the model.

Pud, if I may be so bold, you are one of the better modelers here IMO. You crank out a few sweet little passenger jobs every month and dive into stuff that most shy away from. Look at me, I buy RTR, then screw up opening the box!

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: The Nightmare on Puddy Street- Car Complete
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 01:39:10 PM »
0
Photoshop the proto to look like the model.

Pud, if I may be so bold, you are one of the better modelers here IMO. You crank out a few sweet little passenger jobs every month and dive into stuff that most shy away from. Look at me, I buy RTR, then screw up opening the box!

But didn't Walther's just redesign their boxes?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6188
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: The Nightmare on Puddy Street- Car Complete
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 02:23:58 PM »
0
Overall, pretty nice. However, if I may

on the prototype, the window frame was flush with the door. I would try to work that in. Also - the window mullions? probably could stand some shaving ..

I know - I tried making doors that way and I failed....they looked "tres" unfinished..." I will sand those mullions when I get a new set of sanding sticks, mine are "kaput"......

Sometimes you have to etch brass parts to get the exact look you need.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7454
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: The Nightmare on Puddy Street- Car Complete
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 02:25:48 PM »
0
My thoughts exactly.
And there are folks here on this board who can help with that...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

John

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 14006
  • Respect: +4180
Re: The Nightmare on Puddy Street- Car Complete
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2010, 02:40:23 PM »
0
Sometimes you have to etch brass parts to get the exact look you need.

I think you are right .. here is the hack job I was talking about .. my attempt didn't work out




[/quote]

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: The Nightmare on Puddy Street- Car Complete
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2010, 02:46:04 PM »
0
Ya.....I don't know if I'm ready for etching brass parts..... I'm still trying to get women to come over and see my etchings........ ;D

(I think you have to be a certain age for that one to even remotely funny but whet the hell....)
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

John

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 14006
  • Respect: +4180
Re: The Nightmare on Puddy Street- Car Complete
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2010, 02:48:22 PM »
0
Ya.....I don't know if I'm ready for etching brass parts..... I'm still trying to get women to come over and see my etchings........ ;D

(I think you have to be a certain age for that one to even remotely funny but whet the hell....)

LOL .. that line never worked for me either  :'(

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: The Nightmare on Puddy Street- Car Complete
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2010, 02:51:25 PM »
0
John,
considering the complex angles of that cab - that's a good representation.  I'f you've ever seen on ein real life you kow what that model is.

Ditto Pud's work here.  The widow frames, while frustrating, don't take away from the modeling success.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: The Nightmare on Puddy Street- Car Complete
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010, 03:56:27 PM »
0
LOL .. that line never worked for me either  :'(

Me neither--and I even had real etchings to show (I did classical etching in college).