Author Topic: The Nightmare on Puddy Street- Car Complete  (Read 4002 times)

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
The Nightmare on Puddy Street- Car Complete
« on: September 21, 2010, 07:00:02 PM »
Even start a project that becomes a nightmare but, like a good horror novel, you just can't put it down...?

Meet my CPR Horse Car project......now officially called the horse's ars....you know...... This is the one I showed some initial shots of in Weekend Update.........

Scratchbuilds are not supposed to be easy; but man, did I bite one off this time....

You see; besides having to build the body, a curved roof; add 0.010 wire panel dividers to said roof (that's 48 pieces cut and applied)having to build little tiny windows in 0.020 thin scribed styrene and add grabs, ladders etc..... you then have to get the dang thing on the Athearn frame (more about that selection later) and get it on level...

Um..."no"..... :-X

The thing is slightly off and thus, the $#@%$#! car leans.... I will have to fix that..."hey; I think"... "I can fix that with adjustments to the trucks... you know those arch bar trucks and...ah...um....now say...those look funny....." ???

The Athearn frame (told you we'd get back to it) was made for passenger trucks.... the bolsters are in the wrong spot.....

Of course this is only obvious after I build and glue the $#@#! thing together..... >:(

You ever hack off the bolsters of; try and sand the frame floor of, and then drill and construct a new bolster on a car already built with 48 little tiny pieces of wire on the roof; thin pieces of sytrene everywhere and do so without cuting a digit off with a # 11 blade....? Didn't think so............

It can be done..........the question of "if" it should have been done is still up in the air...... :P

Ok; so; we prime and paint.. a mix of Lt Frt Car Red and Freight Car Brown...........it's "vibrant"............

The car was allowed to dry and then we went at it with the weathering - washes, pastels and powders....it will get final weathering after decals....that will help dull down the white lettering and some hot spots.

Speaking of decals....... now; would you find it hard to believe that NO ONE makes decals for a 1919 Canadian Pacific wooden side horse express..........? I mean, really; isn't that something ?

A trip to the decal scrap box; lots of solvetset; some serious squinting and we get..............

The darker weathering will fade after I give it a final weather coat.

I still have to figure out how to adhere the trucks; pray some MT couplers works, build the trusses and then test run the thing but it IS starting to shape up.....

So is a nice JD - Rocks; so if you'll excuse me.......... ;)  I really have to start to embrace RTR rolling stock..There's a lot of good stuff out there and I mean it's not too hard to open a box or your wallet................. ::)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 04:31:54 PM by Puddington »
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Re: The Nightmare on Puddy Street
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 07:20:29 PM »
A thing of beauty Pud .

Richie Dost

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 08:00:55 PM »
And people say I work fast...  That's a fantastic piece of work, there.
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 08:53:15 PM »
And people say I work fast...  That's a fantastic piece of work, there.

Thanks gents; it's not done...yet.

As for the time; my current "job" (if one can call it that) allows me some modeling time as I am general chairman of the Committee to re-elect a local City Councillor in our October 25th election. He's popular so the gig should not have been too hard. Write some speeches; plan some events; market a good product....then he goes and rips the Achilies tendon off his left heel and busts the bone playing golf Saturday on a muddy hill; can't walk without a cane and cast... now my easy gig just got harder........a LOT $#@!$# HARDER.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't win..................

Thanks for the positive feedback - it will look better soon I hope.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 01:36:57 AM »
"I can't win.................."

Lets hope that he does... sound like he has really put a lot into his "fund raising" efforts...

Nice car... I knew you could pull it off.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
    • My train pics
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 10:17:58 AM »
Still isn't anywhere near as interesting as the circus election here in Hogtown  :P

Nice job on the horse car, Pud. I was going through the Morning Sun CPR equipment book last week looking for COFC flats and stopped on the page with the horse cars. Interesting prototype and you've really done a nice job... especially the lettering! I wonder if they used them as tourist class coaches when not hauling equines around?  ;D

Puddington

• Crew
Re: The Nightmare on Puddy Street- Car Complete
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 04:38:44 PM »
The Horse Express car is complete ( well; I haven't decided if I should Krystal Kleer the windows.....)

Here is the car with the reference book; I really didn't have much to work with but one other shot showed the curving roof better........

The faded colour of the original was tough to get...sigh.

The car was finished by adding the wire truses, grabs and steps. The roof was slightly detailed with two circular vents; I couldn't see the original but these were kind of like another set I saw.... guess work !

These cars worked both freight and passenger trains so it can see a lot of service; that's ok; I like to run odd cars and consists....

Here is CP 272007 ("The Bond car...?...nah, too much.... ::)) in revenue service with "her clients".....

Northern Dancer - "I hope they have a movie on this flight"

Seabiscuit - "Movie ? I just hope they haven't routed us via the CN; with their accuracy, we'll end up on an express to a glue factory......"
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 07:50:50 PM by Puddington »

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 04:46:23 PM »
Nice Job ;D

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 04:53:01 PM »
Nice job. A 9.5 out of 10!

(A .5 deduction for those awful wheels.)

(Yes, they are that bad.)

Jason

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 07:45:43 PM »
Nice job. A 9.5 out of 10!

(A .5 deduction for those awful wheels.)

(Yes, they are that bad.)

Jason

You're not going to get an arguement from me on that one - but obtaining FV wheels in Ontario is like finding something that isn't excessively taxed in Ontario. My LHS stocks one size (the wrong axle length) and has the right ones on perma-backorder........when they get em, I'll be swappin out a bunch of the Atlas metal sets.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 01:04:06 AM »
All of the major online dealers carry FVM wheels.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3528
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 01:04:22 AM »
You're not going to get an arguement from me on that one - but obtaining FV wheels in Ontario is like finding something that isn't excessively taxed in Ontario. My LHS stocks one size (the wrong axle length) and has the right ones on perma-backorder........when they get em, I'll be swappin out a bunch of the Atlas metal sets.

Another reason for you to move out West (if the Leafs weren't enough of one . . .)

Nice job on the car.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
    • My train pics
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 09:53:27 AM »
Hey Pud, this car is unique enough that you should enter this contest... if you win, you can order some FVM wheels  ;D

http://www.nscalelimited.com/2010/09/07/great-boxcar-build/

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 10:03:18 AM »
I'm with lock . . . and if you don't submit it, the Railwire Universe may . . . .
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 10:15:46 AM »
Overall, pretty nice. However, if I may

on the prototype, the window frame was flush with the door. I would try to work that in. Also - the window mullions? probably could stand some shaving ..