Author Topic: NEW BLMA Freight Car - ACF 70-Ton Gondola - VIDEO POSTED  (Read 9808 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: NEW BLMA Freight Car - ACF 70-Ton Gondola
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 12:43:21 PM »
0
Wabash, yes.  PC certainly.  PRR, no choice, gotta have at least a couple.  Next, time to thumb through the WM Color Guide to see if there's anything I should be making decals for...

N scale has been waiting for this car for what, 45 years?  If you listen closely, you can hear the MT 50' foobie gon fading into history...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: NEW BLMA Freight Car - ACF 70-Ton Gondola
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 12:44:20 PM »
0
Very nice. I'm in for a PC one, but can't wait for new roadnames ;D
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6037
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: NEW BLMA Freight Car - ACF 70-Ton Gondola
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 12:44:56 PM »
0
BRAVO!!!

Now when do the WP and SN cars get released?

ENCORE! ENCORE! Perhaps the PS 4427? (Lots of paint scheme potential with that one) Or a 60s era large capacity tank car? Some PC&F box cars? Greedy, aren't I?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Andrew Hutchinson

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 111
  • Respect: 0
Re: NEW BLMA Freight Car - ACF 70-Ton Gondola
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 01:00:41 PM »
0
Hello Craig,

Are the wheelsets the same as on your earlier releases or do they have an all new profile. Curious about the tread profile and what standards they apply to if there has been a change. Thanks.

Andrew Hutchinson
BC RPM

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: NEW BLMA Freight Car - ACF 70-Ton Gondola
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 01:07:23 PM »
0
Excellent!  Now I get to retire two of three MTL Pennsy gons and three PC gons.  The third Pennsy gon will go when the SK scheme is released.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: NEW BLMA Freight Car - ACF 70-Ton Gondola
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 01:56:41 PM »
0
Anyone know when these were retired by Conrail? Were there any sub classes that lasted longer?
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: NEW BLMA Freight Car - ACF 70-Ton Gondola
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 02:12:28 PM »
0
Anyone know when these were retired by Conrail? Were there any sub classes that lasted longer?

For your and my modeling areas, most would be in G31L in MOW service. I believe rebuilds were also put in to G31K as well.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 02:16:31 PM by Ian MacMillan »
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Mr. G

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 202
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: 0
Re: NEW BLMA Freight Car - ACF 70-Ton Gondola
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 02:53:32 PM »
0
BRAVO!!!

Now when do the WP and SN cars get released?


What he said (twice). 

That said, I just ordered a couple of the SP gons from Feather River.  I tossed a few Trinities in there for good measure.  I keep seeing them, some heavily tagged, while driving up and down the state.  The white sides seem to make a really good canvas.

Keep up the great work, Craig.
Quote from: TiVoPrince
Everything blends.  Just a general rule of model railroading...

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: NEW BLMA Freight Car - ACF 70-Ton Gondola
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 05:28:26 PM »
0
For your and my modeling areas, most would be in G31L in MOW service. I believe rebuilds were also put in to G31K as well.

Maybe we can convince Craig to consider a Conrail MOW in a future release.  Or perhaps a limited run.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


ai5629

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 801
  • Respect: +247
Re: NEW BLMA Freight Car - ACF 70-Ton Gondola
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 05:30:18 PM »
0
The Pennsy started modifying classes G31A, G31B and G31C gondolas in the 1960's.  If I remember correctly, they fixed the ends, moved the brakewheel to the end, added hardware to those ends and added stake pocket reinforcements along the sides.  The cars were reclassed after modifying to G31K, G31L and G31M respectively.  Not all cars were completed, so plenty of drop end cars soldiered on for Penn Central and Conrail.  I remember these cars getting the quick MOW treatment (yellow paint applied to the first four panels on the left and five digit number applied) starting around 1990 or 1991.  They would have reached the end of their service life at that point since they were built around 1951.  I checked my photos, and I have a lot of G31A photos, but few G31B's (typical).  And a lot of G31K's and few G31L's (again, typical).  I think the G31A and G31B are virtually identical, so doing both classes with this car is an option.  There was an article in Model Railroading about these cars back in the 90's, which is where I remember the rebuilding information.  I will have to dig it out.  I don't think Tangent has done Conrail cars in HO, which gives me cause for concern.  Hopefully Craig will not let us down.  Tangent had posted on the P&LE Yahoo group for photos, so hopefully those are in our future.
Jeff Lopez

Robbman

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3007
  • Respect: +18
Re: NEW BLMA Freight Car - ACF 70-Ton Gondola
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 05:56:14 PM »
0
The gons also have Equipco or Universal ratchet brakes, depending on road...

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: NEW BLMA Freight Car - ACF 70-Ton Gondola
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 06:04:51 PM »
0
I don't think Tangent has done Conrail cars in HO, which gives me cause for concern.

Give them time, I believe theirs just hit the shelves within the last 3 weeks.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: NEW BLMA Freight Car - ACF 70-Ton Gondola
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2010, 06:11:06 PM »
0
The gons also have Equipco or Universal ratchet brakes, depending on road...

Pennsy (and the successor roads) had both, correct?
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


Robbman

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3007
  • Respect: +18
Re: NEW BLMA Freight Car - ACF 70-Ton Gondola
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2010, 06:35:44 PM »
0
Pennsy (and the successor roads) had both, correct?

Correct

wazzou

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6812
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1736
Re: NEW BLMA Freight Car - ACF 70-Ton Gondola
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2010, 08:34:13 PM »
0
I don't know an awful lot about gondolas in general.  Can someone provide a roughly complete list of who owned these cars?
In other words, I have heard mentioned WP and SN in addition to the obvious SP but who else in the West owned these or similar cars?
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA