Author Topic: And so it begins...  (Read 8268 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dave Schneider

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2377
  • Respect: +51
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 10:52:21 PM »
0
Here's the new workbench rig.  I'm sure it's only a matter of minutes before it's piled with debris again.  Hopefully having this out in the Anteroom will help keep the layout room a little easier to keep tidy.



Lee
Just curious....just what do you have in that stack of vinyl? Elvis? Bobbie Vitton?  CSN&Y??
Back in the old days, my uh...friend...used to use LPs to "stash" various things. 

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2010, 08:30:04 AM »
0
Well, last night I listened to an old platter from my Dad's collection, Bob Crosby and his Orchestra 1936/1956.  Then I listened to the "Cybernetic Dreams of Pi" by the Slickee Boys (a Baltimore/Washington local from the 80's) followed up with New Traditionalists from Devo.

Tonight I might listen Gustav Holtz "The Planets", or maybe some Benny Goodman.  That is if I don't start with Cowboy Jazz or XTC...  You never know what I'll end up spinning!

So, back to the topic... Last night I laid in bed and scratched out the basic benchwork for Cumberland.  Should work out fine.  Since it's going to be a little deep in the corner, I'm leaving some space open in the grid to reach up for any problems that might crop up in the mountain.

Out in the garage I've got a bunch of 2x4, which I'm going to rip into two 1x3's and a 1x2.  The way I figure it about $9 worth of material will get me everything I need.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2010, 12:20:57 AM »
0
Made huge strides tonight.  First, I elevated the main body of the layout by 1/2"...  Not much you say?  Well, the main benefit was it almost completely eliminated the grade on the drop leaf coming out of staging...  It also allowed me to set the proper level for the new benchwork.

Next, I blasted out the L girders and main frame for Cumberland.  I still have to muck out the floor area, so I'll have some pictures of the progress tomorrow.  I also set the Thomas Sub helix roughly where it will go.  That's going to work out perfectly!

I've got to cut some more lumbah to make the joists, which I'll work on tomorrow, too.  Once that's all together, I'll start assembling the expanded peninsula.  It's really starting to take shape.  Those legs and what not that Phil picked up from the Craig's List guy is really working out great!

More news as it happens...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2010, 08:35:59 AM »
0
As promised...

The new underpinnings for Cumberland.  The Thomas Sub helix is just sitting there.  It will be installed about 6" to the left, and about a foot above where you see it here.


The transition to the existing work.


The plywood and cork peeking out from underneath is the staging yard.  The balloon track will bend a bit to the left, circle around behind the photographer (the photographer's behind, that is!) and loop back in from the right.  Piece a cake...


And the drop bridge.  It's hard to tell because the camera kept focusing somewhere else, but the grade out of staging is vastly improved by moving the deck up 1/2".  It was enough that I had to trim the bridge back by almost a 1/4".  Moving it also improved the vertical curves at the top and bottom of the bridge, so hopefully no more inconvenient uncouplings as we go westbound into North Junction...

Tonight I'll work on moving some of the debris around.  I've opened up about 72 cubic feet of storage behind the new benchwork where the ceiling slopes down to the knee wall.  I can't wait to start laying track throwing foam!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2010, 09:04:54 AM »
0
Well, last night I listened to an old platter from my Dad's collection, Bob Crosby and his Orchestra 1936/1956.  Then I listened to the "Cybernetic Dreams of Pi" by the Slickee Boys (a Baltimore/Washington local from the 80's) followed up with New Traditionalists from Devo.

Tonight I might listen Gustav Holtz "The Planets", or maybe some Benny Goodman.  That is if I don't start with Cowboy Jazz or XTC...  You never know what I'll end up spinning!

Lee

I can't recommend this one enough... I listen to it daily and can't get tired of it. I love the 80's  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3atTP6hqlg
Ignore the add... that song sucks...

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2010, 11:38:59 PM »
0
Let's stop down to Pine Ridge and see what's going on down at the Jot 'em Down Store...

Tonight, I got a ton of work done.  Installed the staging loop...


installed the Thomas Sub helix...


and got the bulk of the Cumberland section benchwork built.


So, the next thing will be to install the cork and track in the staging yard, at least to get it out from under the river.  Then I'll build the frame for the scenic divider down the peninsula.

Moving right along...

Lee

Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

asciibaron

  • Guest
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
0
what is the radius of the inside staging loop?

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2010, 08:24:04 AM »
0
15.5"  It's more generous than the west loop, which I think ended up being 13.5.
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +146
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2010, 08:31:39 AM »
0
Likin' it!  ;D

The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2010, 09:20:46 AM »
0
Well, last night I listened to an old platter from my Dad's collection, Bob Crosby and his Orchestra 1936/1956.  

Lee

Bob Crosby and the "Bobcats".......nice little collection of players........................Billy Butterfield got his start with Bob...

Looking like the beginning of somethere Lee !
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 09:23:39 AM by Puddington »
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12346
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8588
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2010, 09:28:56 AM »
0

Freakin' awesome!  What an improvement to the subterranean staging yard!  This is SOOOOOOO much better than the former arrangement.  Me likey.  By the way, kudos for thinking ahead and leaving that access hole in the benchwork to get at the staging yard in the event of an unfortunate incident.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

asciibaron

  • Guest
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2010, 09:45:04 AM »
0
By the way, kudos for thinking ahead and leaving that access hole in the benchwork to get at the staging yard in the event of an unfortunate incident.


you didn't like weaving your hands through the tangle of wires, cars, and screws?

asciibaron

  • Guest
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2010, 09:49:50 AM »
0
Lee - where is the new trackplan?

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
0
I'm just making it up as I go along... ;D

This has been posted on the construction page of my website for a few months now...  There's been a few refinements, but this is basically it.



Lee
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 03:49:52 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

asciibaron

  • Guest
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2010, 05:00:35 PM »
0
if only you could use that closet...